Maryland scandal

ChazzReinhold

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Having a relative who was directly involved with this aspect of the program, I can confirm that the handling of injuries e.g. concussions were handled completely inappropriately.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Have been hearing speculation that the decisions made have been due partly to Maryland's money situation. Maryland, Rutgers and Nebby do not get a full share (approx. 50 mil) of BigTen profits until 2021. They are only getting partial shares until then. So, they currently have a super structure being built next to the Cole Center where construction has slowed. Buying Durkin out would cost millions. And there are other things going on that would cost Maryland millions that they do not have today. So, the cheapest thing they could do is to keep Durkin for now.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Have been hearing speculation that the decisions made have been due partly to Maryland's money situation. Maryland, Rutgers and Nebby do not get a full share (approx. 50 mil) of BigTen profits until 2021. They are only getting partial shares until then. So, they currently have a super structure being built next to the Cole Center where construction has slowed. Buying Durkin out would cost millions. And there are other things going on that would cost Maryland millions that they do not have today. So, the cheapest thing they could do is to keep Durkin for now.

Probably shouldn't have come out an accepted responsibility outright early on like they did if that was the case :noidea: Or did the financial impact of sizable settlements also play into the equation on whether to keep him?

Either way, truly the wrong decision. So many coaches have been fired (including ours) for so much less. You have to set a standard that's unyielding, unless it's not the standard you want.

cuillini

San Bernardino, Ca.
I can't imagine any parent wanting their kid to play for Durkin after this. I'd be amazed if he survives there past a year or two.

breadman

Herndon, VA
If you're not doing anything tomorrow, the Maryland student body is rallying against the retainment of Durkin. Come on out and enjoy the fun!

MainelyIllini

uh, Maine
Wow, Maryland really messed this one up. First they reinstate then they fire after people were rightly outraged. At least they got it right now.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Why would there be a buy out if he’s fired for cause? No. This reason they tried to keep him was they thought he was the key to winning. They being high end alums. The board of regents looks like fools.

breadman

Herndon, VA
If you're not doing anything tomorrow, the Maryland student body is rallying against the retainment of Durkin. Come on out and enjoy the fun!

I would aver to say at this point that it's a big ixnay on this rally.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
if they retained him for financial reasons initially, they might be in big trouble now. If they try to fire him for cause, he can easily come back and say that it wasn't. Either some boosters come in and pay up, or they might be hamstrung for a while.

He was fired without cause, so they are on the hook for his buyout.

Killing someone is exempt from for-cause firings? I want Durkin's agent....
I think they were stuck with that decision when the Board of Regents allowed him back. Maybe the Board thought his buyout would be cheaper than a wrongful death lawsuit, although the Maryland president seemed to admit the University's fault.

Deleted member 649710

D
And now the Chair of the Maryland Board of Regents has resigned. What a clownshow. Positively Illinois-esque.

Just about the time you think some school AD, Chancellor or Board of Regents has set the All Time Bar for Stupid, someone else comes along and jumps over it.