Mascot for University of Illinois?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
That would be phenomenal. Turn a bad idea into something very clever and shine a spotlight on an academic discipline where we excel. Love it. Unfortunately, it'll never happen. Disclaimer: CS grad.
It's so completely off the wall and yet so appropriate that I couldn't help but support this. It's genius! The only thing is I'm not sure many of the younger folks would get the reference. Then again, maybe it would force a new audience to embrace a classic and monumental movie. :thumb:

BluesBro

Round Lake, Illinois
I was GDI back in the day, and never had much use for the Greek system, but this seems to me to be the perfect thing for the Greeks to take care of. They can each have their own mascot show up to tailgating, in the stands, and at other events, and occasionally be allowed on the sidelines. See who the crowd reacts to and not. Make some sort of annual event out of it. The university will just have to get over the fact that sometimes the mascot will be juvenile or silly, and that it won't have absolute control over it.

Eventually the fans and the student body will gravitate to one or a couple of the mascots and that's what you go with.

The US Military Academy (Army - West Point) has something similar to this. The Corps of Cadets is apportioned into twenty companies or so, and each company has a mascot which is personified by some poor plebe (Freshman). These mascots participate in activities before, during and after football games. Some of them are pretty elaborate ... others, not so much. :)

http://www.west-point.org/class/usma1955/F5/U005940.jpg

Some people get offended by the chief. I get offended by the lack of a chief. Look at our basketball record in the last 10 years without the chief. Look at our basketball record for the last 10 years with the chief. Hmmmm....
I am offended everytime I attend a game and don't get to watch the chief dance. Do my feelings count? As a former season ticket holder and alumni, I know my money counts, and the university gets less of it every year (free tickets are easy to get these days, and that is the only time I go.)

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Some people get offended by the chief. I get offended by the lack of a chief. Look at our basketball record in the last 10 years without the chief. Look at our basketball record for the last 10 years with the chief. Hmmmm....
I am offended everytime I attend a game and don't get to watch the chief dance. Do my feelings count? As a former season ticket holder and alumni, I know my money counts, and the university gets less of it every year (free tickets are easy to get these days, and that is the only time I go.)

You can't be serious.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

If you are getting tickets for free right now, are you saying that, if UI brought back the chief, you would willingly turn down free tickets in an effort to purchase tickets? Because unless you are willing to do that, your money isn't "counting".

I had a feeling when I saw activity on this thread it'd be something silly like this, but jeez. Really, dude? :tsk:

I had a feeling when I saw activity on this thread it'd be something silly like this, but jeez. Really, dude? :tsk:

I thought it was going to be something related to Chance the Rapper. No one said it, so I will...Chance the Rapper, University of Illinois Mascot. :thumb:

I thought it was going to be something related to Chance the Rapper. No one said it, so I will...Chance the Rapper, University of Illinois Mascot. :thumb:

Seconded. New Illini logo, the Grammy trophy.

I always wondered if his references to living in Bloomington, IL were a misunderstanding by the writers of the location of UIUC vs. ISU.

Col Blake referenced his wife having attended "Illinois-Normal", and it being a different school than he attended. So there was some misunderstanding, just not about U of I being in Bloomington/Normal.

Col Blake referenced his wife having attended "Illinois-Normal", and it being a different school than he attended. So there was some misunderstanding, just not about U of I being in Bloomington/Normal.

Until 1965, ISU was actually called Illinois State Normal University. The town Normal is actually derived from ISU originally being a "normal" university or a school that teaches people to be teachers.

PostersLastStand

Wayne County, IL
Since we aren't getting the Chief back, how about the Librarians, the Engineers, the Colliders, the Papa Dells, the Capone's, the Prairie Chukars (Danny Bonaduce comes out in feather suit, a double fowl? Nickname Boomer.) The MegaFlops.:chief:

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL

Many years ago, I heard that McLean Stevenson went to NW, bowever, the purple didn't work with the lighting, so they went with UI colors.

The Prairie Winds or at least we're not the Hoosiers. Maybe The Gravel Spreaders or Glacial Debris.

Glacial Till might be a more accurate term (geologists, chime in), but I could support The University of Illinois Glacial Debris as a protest vote against having a mascot. (Isn't that the story behind the Stanford Cardinal (which, I understand, is a reference the color, not a bird; hence their symbol being a tree.)

Deleted member 3875

D
Imagine "the Elevator" as our mascot. If Stanford can have a tree, we surely can come up with a pretty cool grain elevator mascot uniform. Perfect representation of our landscape.

Corn.

and the mascot walks around with a lean to the East whenever we play Iowa (because they blow) and Indiana (because they suck).

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Imagine "the Elevator" as our mascot. If Stanford can have a tree, we surely can come up with a pretty cool grain elevator mascot uniform. Perfect representation of our landscape.

And we can call him Otis (for the elevator company) - with a new corporate sponsorship!

Deleted member 2438

D
I hope your tongue went all the way into your cheek. Listening to that would keep me away!:eek:

The Thunderbird (colloquially, Piasa Bird) would be an excellent choice. Almost a no-brainer, really.

Stevegarbs

Mokena, IL
I love Chief Illiniwek. I really do. But if we can't have the Chief or any representation of any ethnic group that doesn't approve of being represented, I propose a warrior "mascot", along with a change of school colors, music and anything related to the past, except with feathers. And an ethnic group that would not only support the costs of the new symbol but probably be a big supporter of the I Fund as well.

I am referring of course to the Winged Hussars, the Polish heavy cavalry that went undefeated for centuries.

My tongue is only partially in cheek.

Imagine this: Not one lame night in red painted armor trotting out on the field, not two, but three winged knights in full glistening armor, feathers trailing from the wings arching high above their backs, 30-foot lances held high with pennants of red and white fluttering in the ever-present wind blowing through Memorial Stadium, emerging through theatrical smoke onto Zuppke Field.

The Marching Hussars, resplendant in their red and white (screw Wisconsin), part to let the mounted cavalry through, begun the new fight song, The Winged Hussars Have Arrived. The Winged Hussars spur their armored steeds into a full gallop to the south end of the field, lowering their lances as they do so.They pivot as the reach the goal line, do a gate turn as they reach center field and salute the west stands, then pivot to face the home side of the field. And the crowd goes wild.

So what, one asks, does a Winged Hussar look like? Like this, multiplied by three:

rIYVF5E.jpg

And you want music? Crank your computer's sound to 110 and listen to this: The Winged Hussars Have Arrived

You ask, then, what's the rationale. First, we eliminate any complaints by Native American activists about cultural appropriation. Instead, we address one of the largest ethnic groups in Illinois, the Polish-Americans, who would no doubt not only embrace the concept of the Winged Hussars but throw money at the creation of the armor, purchase and support of the horses (by our renouned vet school, of course), and help fund the entire sports program and academic operations.

Do you think the Fighting Irish get support from those associated with the university only through sports? Think of the support we would get from Polish-American fraternal organizations from one end of the country to the other. Heck, the University of Illinois would be the official American university of Poland.

Not convinced? This is a little over the top, perhaps, but yeah, if we can't have an Indian, give us the Winged Hussars!

This, this, this, a thousand times this! Need to work in Casimir Pulaski, the Polish CAVALRY expert who trained our soldiers in the Revolutionary War.

P.S. Can you guess I am one of those Polish-American alumni that would open my checkbook for this?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.