Mascot for University of Illinois?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urbana native. That would be great. Big game at the SFC, Illini hit a three, timeout other team, crowd going wild, ESPN just cuts to this as they go to commercial:

hal9000.jpg

That would offend the students south of Green.

cavitt

Big Chicken Illini
Marietta, GA
Seconded

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Why not "Mascoty McMascotface" the completely PC, non-offensive, generic mascot who also has a hilarious name?

Why not "Mascoty McMascotface" the completely PC, non-offensive, generic mascot who also has a hilarious name?

GENERIC MASCOT???? Wtf brah??? Are you trying to culturally appropriate and marginalize cisgendered mascots? Not on my watch, brah.

xTiTnC3NegnG4rcy6Q.gif

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
If an interim chancellor has the gall to do this, they better prepare for pitchforks and torches on the quad.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Mascotty McMascot, come on down! If that's a no go, something spineless.

Obviously, any opportunity to undermine this process with internet-fueled sarcastic hijinks ala Boaty McBoatface should be taken by this board.

I doubt the administration would be dumb enough to let that happen, but I've long doubted they would be dumb enough to get to this point so who knows.

I nominate a super generic placeholder profile picture, guaranteed to neither offend, nor appeal to, a single person.

profile.png

Its name: "Mascot the Mascot"

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Obviously, any opportunity to undermine this process with internet-fueled sarcastic hijinks ala Boaty McBoatface should be taken by this board.

I doubt the administration would be dumb enough to let that happen, but I've long doubted they would be dumb enough to get to this point so who knows.

Team Shield reassembles and prepares to ride out on this, its most serious mission.

A mascot needs to be organic. Like, you should be able to say, "Of course our mascot is a _______. Our name is the _______s! What else would it be?" If you need a committee to come up with one, it means you shouldn't have one.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
A mascot needs to be organic. Like, you should be able to say, "Of course our mascot is a _______. Our name is the _______s! What else would it be?" If you need a committee to come up with one, it means you shouldn't have one.
Yep. I'm just going to wait for this to fail spectacularly. Should be fun.

Oskee67

Champaign
We don't need a mascot. The Alabama Crimson Tide have that elephant but never reference it in their name. We need to stay the "Fighting Illini" and that is it. If they want to add a random mascot/symbol/whatever that runs around like Alabama's elephant, then I'd prefer the Chief, then maybe a soldier, then maybe a phantom or something (connection to the galloping ghost). But like S&C said, it has to come naturally. No vote.

The Elephant is for Tusc-aloosa.

In that vain, I wouldn't mind a lion mascot :thumb:

Galloping Ghost

The ghost or spirit could be of Chief Illiniwek which the administrators and PC police have attempted to remove. But the spirit remains, we are the rightful heirs to this legacy. I carry over 35% Native American blood (DNA tested) and I'm in no way remotely offended by Fighting Illini or Chief Illiniwek (or Aztecs, Sioux, Seminoles, Apache, etc..). I find it sad that one day no college teams will carry Native American names, nor will it appear in other forms (military units and equipment).

But in reality, Galloping Ghost I think has plenty of legacy and hopefully will not offend anybody. Our symbol or mascot could possibly be a leather helmented Red Grange (cartoon form) or his famous siloute. Pay his family a tribute if necessary.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Its kind of cheesy, but how 'bout Smegaman? Should 3 syllables be too many, cut (or snip) it to Smegman. Kind of stuck on the outfit though.

If too crass, could go with Head Cheese, Big Cheese or, dare I say it, Chief Cheese. Probably would put our northern neighbors in a tizzy though.

Last edited:
The Elephant is for Tusc-aloosa.

In that vain, I wouldn't mind a lion mascot :thumb:

Please tell me you don't actually add an extra syllable and pronounce Illini as Ill-lion-eye.

In the same vein as Tuscaloosa, a giant eye could be a pretty cool mascot if done right.

df98e0f25e6a348865cb29c338f6c959.jpg

chrisRunner7

Spokane, WA
I actually supported retiring the Chief, but it's going to look so dopey having some animal mascot running around on the football field. And I am afraid this is just the first step towards eliminating the Three-in-One halftime music a few years down the road.

Somebody here mentioned Red Grange... it'd be kind of sweet to have someone dressed up like him at the games. It wouldn't work out a multi-sport mascot (Red Grange at basketball games? Huh?) but it's a good idea, even if we end up having some dude in a tiger suit running around at halftime.

peace davids

Colorado
I actually supported retiring the Chief, but it's going to look so dopey having some animal mascot running around on the football field. And I am afraid this is just the first step towards eliminating the Three-in-One halftime music a few years down the road.

Somebody here mentioned Red Grange... it'd be kind of sweet to have someone dressed up like him at the games. It wouldn't work out a multi-sport mascot (Red Grange at basketball games? Huh?) but it's a good idea, even if we end up having some dude in a tiger suit running around at halftime.

Yeah, I like the Grange idea too, but I wouldn't be opposed to a lion. As long as they don't try to change Fighting Illini, I'm cool with it.

Other than the Elephant for Bama... Any other examples of this?

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
I like the ideal of a live hawk or eagle that we have at each game. Anything more would just be stupid honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.