Matching Illini Colors

So our basement is going to be done here and I'm wanting to accent some things with Illini colors. I went to the Illinois site that gives all the Pantene numbers but apparently Home Depot can't do it that way. Anyone run into this and how to make sure I'm getting the correct colors?

http://creativeservices.illinois.edu/brand/logos-and-colors.html

Thanks I'll hang up and listen to your answer.
Pantone has a fan deck and not many paint stores will have it. That can be used to cross reference to a traditional paint color. Your Sherwin Williams may know what store nearby will have one (for example, the Gurnee location I believe has one). Home Depot won't put in that much effort most likely. Good luck!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ryllini

Lombard
So our basement is going to be done here and I'm wanting to accent some things with Illini colors. I went to the Illinois site that gives all the Pantene numbers but apparently Home Depot can't do it that way. Anyone run into this and how to make sure I'm getting the correct colors?

http://creativeservices.illinois.edu/brand/logos-and-colors.html

Thanks I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

Pantone colors are tough to match as they are you primarily used for printing services. Even the fan decks aren’t solid colors as you would see on a normal fan deck. I do believe the Downers Grove Home Depot has a Pantone fandeck though to cross reference. Even if you were to get the color formula from Pantone, each company whether it is Behr, SW, BM will have different colorants that wont match it perfectly. You would need to have a company draw the colors down for you.

JSpence

Evansville, IN
The color is going to vary greatly depending on what light you throw on it. If it's for accenting, then its appearance will be mostly dictated by what color you're putting next to it (white? blue? navy?). All of that gives you a very good excuse for not trying too hard to stick to the 'exact' color. Like Ry said, you're going to have to settle for an approximation. The effort required to be able to brag that you got the Pantone Illini orange is probably not worth it. It's technically not true (being paint rather than ink) and might not look quite right anyway.

If it were me, I'd go the route of color match. Find an Illini orange object (nothing fuzzy, of course) that looks right to your eye in your basement lighting. Do a sanity check in sunlight or comparing to the website if it makes you feel better, but... don't go cross-eyed over it. Take it to a paint store and have them match it. Sherwin Williams will only do gallons, but maybe Home Depot will still do color quarts.

IMO, you can claim full credit with a good faith effort to avoid creamsicle, burnt orange, and pink. :cool:

JSpence

Evansville, IN
By the way - orange can be a tricky color. There's no shame in asking the guy or gal behind the counter if they think the object you've brought in will be closely reproduced. If they're not confident, ask for suggestions.

No matter which route you take, keep any sticker or swatch they make and let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

P.S. - Is this going to be a glossy pinstriping sort of job? If you get creative, you're going to have to share pictures of it!

Deleted member 336259

D
Can't figure out how to post pics but sent you a PM. Let me know if you want to see some pics.

- Just figured out I can add pics to my profile. You can check them out there and let me know if you want the info. As I said, still some work to do to finish them but I think they look pretty good. Many of my Hawkeye friends are even envious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Home Depot said to bring something in with those colors and they would match it.

Didn't the colors change a bit with the new the rebrand a couple of years back. The only "new" brand stuff I have are close and I'm afraid after being washed a few times that the colors will fade and I'll have a faded color scheme in the basement.

I know it's just paint I'm just paranoid.

And it isn't going to be anything fancy...I don't have enough #Illini stuff to make it Cary's basement.

Thanks everyone for the input.

JSpence

Evansville, IN
Home Depot said to bring something in with those colors and they would match it.

Didn't the colors change a bit with the new the rebrand a couple of years back. The only "new" brand stuff I have are close and I'm afraid after being washed a few times that the colors will fade and I'll have a faded color scheme in the basement.

I know it's just paint I'm just paranoid.

And it isn't going to be anything fancy...I don't have enough #Illini stuff to make it Cary's basement.

Thanks everyone for the input.

If you have something that's 'faded', it'll probably just look brighter on the walls! Besides, it's not like every official piece of clothing was the same orange to start with.

The colors changed a lot with the Nike rebrand, but they've bounced back to normal quite a bit. We don't have exactly one orange. The official orange for the web is different from pantone, is different from non-pantone ink, is different from... you get the idea.

For a handy baseline, Home Depot orange was previously indistinguishable to me. It was in our spectrum. Our new orange should look slightly redder without looking pink. ;)

Ryllini

Lombard
I was able to get contact with the color lab from Behr and they were able to give me approximate colors in the Behr core palette that match with the Pantone colors on the UI Creative service website. For the orange, P180-6 Pimento was suggested and for the blue M530-7 Elegant Navy. I am looking at the color swatches now and they do look pretty good for an approximation. Being in the coatings industry, I would suggest you buy a couple samples of the colors first to make sure you like them and if you choose these colors, use a tinted primer underneath the orange color of Pimento. I know all of the gallons say paint and primer, but there is not actual primer in paint, that is for marketing. They carry primer attributes only, and certain oranges, yellow, and reds can be difficult to paint with.

Again, it is extremely difficult to match Pantone colors and virtually impossible to do under the color match machine at paint stores. Should you bring something in to color match, fabrics will not work as too much light can shine through the fabric and throw the color off. You need something at least the size of a quarter, solid piece, and the less shiny the better.
Go Illini!

Kostas

Naperville, IL
Thank you!

The orange tiles are GarageDeck tiles.
The blue, alloy, and graphite tiles are from the GarageTrac line.
Made by same company, so they're interchangeable.

JSpence

Evansville, IN
Thank you!

The orange tiles are GarageDeck tiles.
The blue, alloy, and graphite tiles are from the GarageTrac line.
Made by same company, so they're interchangeable.

Awesome, thanks!

Your approach looks really sharp. :thumb: