Memorial Stadium Renovation Postponed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illini will postpone Memorial Stadium renovation and construct new stand-alone football performance center attached to indoor practice facility

The Illini have indefinitely postponed their plans for a Memorial Stadium renovation and now will construct a stand-alone football performance center attached to Irwin Indoor Practice Facility. Construction on the project is expected to start in 2018 and be completed in 2019.

Illinois announced in October a $132 million renovation plan of the south end zone and east side of Memorial Stadium that would include "a new home for all football operations in the south end zone, including locker rooms; training, recovery, and sports medicine facilities; meeting and office spaces; and recruiting venues." The plan was largely based on preliminary work started by former Illini athletics director Mike Thomas.

http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/story/1786260-change-of-football-facility-plans-for-illini

The football facility project is moving in a different direction. New offices will now be moved between indoor facility and stadium.

Whitman says stand alone facility will be completed by summer 2019 and will not cost as much as the horseshoe project $130 million figure

https://twitter.com/WCIA3Bret

The first thing Whitman's done that's really disappointed me. I get that facilities are important for recruiting and training of athletes but after all the build up for a stadium reno this is very blah.
tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough people writing big enough checks. He gave everyone enough time to cough it up but his hands are basically tied at this point.

riffraff

Peoria
At least if this helps recruiting and player development it means the team can get back to the glory days of the 80s and then raise the money to do an even better job of finishing the Memorial Stadium upgrade.

They are making the right choice moving it out of the stadium though, that plan was underwhelming. They saw all they needed to on their tours, a stand alone facility with the space you need is wayyy better than trying to squeeze everything into a stadium horseshoe.

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
Josh Whitman really gets it. This facility will be top-notch. Also very pleased to hear about a new baseball stadium.

FT35

Naperville
This is very disappointing news but if the money is not there I'd rather they proceed this way.

FT35

Naperville
Josh Whitman really gets it. This facility will be top-notch. Also very pleased to hear about a new baseball stadium.

Anymore information about this? As one of the few people here who follows Illinois baseball religiously this gets me really excited! It's long overdue.

I know the idea of attracting a Frontier League team to Champaign in order to get a stadium upgrade was floated around years ago but the absence of beer sales at an on campus facility put a stop to that. Having the team play off campus was not appealing at all.

Slight disappointment, but I'll wait to see the plans to judge. I'm wondering to what extent this will renovate or change the parts within MS today in that corner. Ideally this would include a full teardown/rebuild of the entire NW corner of MS as well (aside from the ramp tower). Make Lovie's office and perhaps a recruiting area elevated in the space between the north end zone student section and the NW ramp tower, with giant windows overlooking the field (about where that unused roof is right now above the current locker room). Then add brand new locker rooms and meeting rooms built underneath.

Then build a new weight room/training center/dining area/etc. in the space just south of Irwin, running from MS to 4th street. Perhaps even connected to MS if we can do it respectfully. Should be able to incorporate most of the player-centric items they were planning to do down in the south end zone.

Still hoping improving the shape of seating in the Horseshoe and moving it closer to the field will be sooner rather than later though. That empty space looks so bad on gameday.

I might be wrong, but my impression is the following: the rebuild of the south horseshoe was first a lot bigger than 132 mil and the school has other priorities (although they've never worried about their budget before) second, the football athletic offices and training center under and on top of the south grandstand facilities would be at its completion a disjointed facility. It was always a bad idea to separate the offices and training from the indoor facility.
I do like the idea of rebuilding the horseshoe to adapt to todays needs for fans but it was really the wrong place for the team. Get the team in a first class practice and training facility that they can tour recruits in, deal with the south grandstand later.

what if... we could tie the offices and team meeting rooms to the north student grandstands. invite card section members into the facility on home games, develop the personal relationships with the players and students and see if that improves attendance.

I'm disappointed on two levels. One because I wanted to see the horse shoe renovated, but mainly bc I ditched my seats in the horseshoe for the $300 deal because I thought the seats would be changed in a year.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
From an out-of-state, not season ticket holder position as a fan, this is the right move. Spend money on the player facilities to attract better recruits, which theoretically translates to more wins, which means more excitement and demand for more seats, which means more money, which ultimately means the stadium gets down when it's more needed. Gotta crawl before you walk, and this helps us crawl faster.

peace davids

Colorado
I'm ok with this. I want the MS renovation to be a full effort in an attempt to bring everything together for the greatness of the facility. The East was a piece, the NEZ was a piece - but both are really independent to the grand scheme of the stadium. I felt like the horseshoe was moving in that direction to - yet another independent piece that would fit a specific goal, but not necessarily part of the grand architectural plan.

MS is a jewel - renovations really need to do it justice. I think Whitman gets that, and doesn't want to do a sub-par job with it (given less than desired funds)

breadman

Herndon, VA
From an out-of-state, not season ticket holder position as a fan, this is the right move. Spend money on the player facilities to attract better recruits, which theoretically translates to more wins, which means more excitement and demand for more seats, which means more money, which ultimately means the stadium gets down when it's more needed. Gotta crawl before you walk, and this helps us crawl faster.

BS, that is no BS.
All this discussion so far and not one mention of the Lovie effect. Lovie's reasoned voice is being heard loud and clear. Remember, JW is still a young pup in his position. When these new facilities result in more fans in the seats, the the SEZ will be taken care of. I can wait.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
BS, that is no BS.
All this discussion so far and not one mention of the Lovie effect. Lovie's reasoned voice is being heard loud and clear. Remember, JW is still a young pup in his position. When these new facilities result in more fans in the seats, the the SEZ will be taken care of. I can wait.

Yep. Ultimately it's about winning. Remember #wewillwin? Better recruits are gonna help you win. More seats is not. More seats will come after the winning. Lovie and Whitman are making sure they don't put the cart before the horse which is the smart move.

(On a side note, it's gonna take me some time to get used to all these smart moves after so many decades of the opposite!)

EJ33

San Francisco
Another very smart move by Whitman.

Status
Not open for further replies.