Memorial Stadium Renovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. No program that's "made it" has planned its future with its current revenues, fan support, facilities, etc.

We're starting to slip behind even the teams that haven't "made it" in terms of football facilities. The arms race has gone into warp speed over the last 5-6 years. We have something that only aimed at the middle of the pack a decade ago.

ZeroDarkThirsty

Stay Thirsty My Friends
United States
Edison wants his lights back!!!

n6yjjt.jpg
2q0p029.jpg

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 433
  • Early-Light-Bulb.jpg
    Early-Light-Bulb.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 401
Are those storm clouds gathering over the stadium?

That is a nice rendering.

There are two questions that matter as we go forward:

1. How much square footage is dedicated to the team as opposed to the fans/donors?

2. Will they lower the field?

There are two questions that matter as we go forward:

1. How much square footage is dedicated to the team as opposed to the fans/donors?

2. Will they lower the field?

This renovation is primarily about:

1) New dining facility to accommodate all UI athletes given the recent rule changes to allow more meals provided

2) New coaching offices

3) New weight room and locker facilities

4) Hall of fame, improving the south facing entrance, etc

This renovation is primarily about:

1) New dining facility to accommodate all UI athletes given the recent rule changes to allow more meals provided

2) New coaching offices

3) New weight room and locker facilities

4) Hall of fame, improving the south facing entrance, etc

Yup. And within that framework there's a lot of wiggle room with respect to my two questions.

Our players and coaches need the best because they deserve it, but more importantly because every other school in the conference is going to have facilities at current Oregon level very soon. And Memorial Stadium will never be "finished" until the five tarped-off rows next to the field are gone.

To do a nine-figure fundraising campaign and not conclusively solve those issues would be Guentherian administrative malpractice.

Are these legitimate renderings or just another fan project? I'm afraid it'd be very boxy on the exterior. Idk if the City would go for it, but rerouting Kirby to curve behind the extended horse shoe would be more pleasing IMO. There isn't much space between the stadium and ROW now and I think it would end up looking bad if we tried to work within the existing space exclusively.

:chief::shield:

There isn't much space between the stadium and ROW now

There's more than you think.

The "hidden" space in this whole arrangement is the current space between the horseshoe and the back of the endzone which is literally like 25 yards.

And these are apparently renderings from the Mike Thomas era that are now being sent out for more thorough nuts and bolts proposals. This isn't set in stone yet, literally or figuratively.

Deleted member 29907

D
MUCH improved - love it. Is there any endzone club seating? Is that what that top section is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these legitimate renderings or just another fan project? I'm afraid it'd be very boxy on the exterior. Idk if the City would go for it, but rerouting Kirby to curve behind the extended horse shoe would be more pleasing IMO. There isn't much space between the stadium and ROW now and I think it would end up looking bad if we tried to work within the existing space exclusively.

:chief::shield:

They are from the feasibility study done by the previous AD. So what we end up may or may not look exactly like this, of course. But I'd guess the overall concept will be similar.

MUCH improved - love it. Is there any endzone club seating? Is that what that top section is?

It's my understanding that's the coaches offices and/or recruiting type lounges, not luxury seating.

HoopCity

Huntsville, AL
I think the outside entrance concept, locker rooms, offices etc is a fantastic move.

The interior fan seating area looks nice, do I like it, NO ....

1) The present horseshoe corners connecting fans in both end zone area and side area is much more appealing with the present layout, many seats are lost with the new concept and the bowl look and flow is lost with new design.
2) The middle of the horseshoe should go all the way to the ground (too high of wall) bringing many fans much closer to the playing field. Do we really need that much of an wide open area without seats in the middle and further from the field? This lower middle area is almost like we have now, poor design with both old and new designs in the lower middle from side line to sideline.
3) Lowering the field to retrieve the lower sideline seats needs to be done.

Dan

Admin
[fixed post] South end zone space to Kirby Ave.. Looks like approx 70-75 yards from yellow boundary line behind end zone to sidewalk, give or take this very approximate unscientific measurement :)

memorial-stadium-renovation-2016b.jpg

Kirby Avenue - Build Over or Underpass? OR underground tunnel?

I think it was mentioned somewhere about the possibility of Memorial Stadium and State Farm Center being connected interior-wise (at least), perhaps some sort of connector bridge over Kirby Avenue OR tearing up Kirby and making it an underpass so to allow more creativity and/or additional expansions in building something in between the two (stadium and Center). Or an underground tunnel to be built to connect both.

Thoughts or some ideas to consider?

Status
Not open for further replies.