Memorial Stadium Renovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
[fixed post] South end zone space to Kirby Ave.. Looks like approx 70-75 yards from yellow boundary line behind end zone to sidewalk, give or take this very approximate unscientific measurement :)

memorial-stadium-renovation-2016b.jpg

I once hit a golf ball with a pitching wedge from about the 20 yardline on the north side of the stadium and easily cleared the stadium seating in the horseshoe. I'm hoping I didn't reach the street. 75 yards sounds right...

Dan

Admin
Guess at the South End Zone Renovation Timeline-

Monday, October 24th, 2016: Official announcement on Homecoming week

Sunday, November 12th, 2017: Construction begins

2018: South end under construction. Stadium capacity: 50,600

Friday, August 30th, 2019: Project completion. New capacity plus or minus 2,000 current capacity (60,670)

Last edited:
Looks like a good start to me. Hopefully the design firms come back with some interesting iterations. My only comment is that it looks like a 2013 sized video board while we need a 2019 sized video board.

Shane Walsh

aka "Captain Oblivious"
Cynthiana, Kentucky
I think it was mentioned somewhere about the possibility of Memorial Stadium and State Farm Center being connected interior-wise (at least), perhaps some sort of connector bridge over Kirby Avenue OR tearing up Kirby and making it an underpass so to allow more creativity and/or additional expansions in building something in between the two (stadium and Center). Or an underground tunnel to be built to connect both.

Thoughts or some ideas to consider?

Not sure the need is great enough to warrant that high of an expenditure. To tunnel underneath for either a passage or the street you would have to worry about any and all underground utilities plus the steam tunnels that run through there. It is much easier and cheaper to just close the street on game days. Maybe after the renovation of the horseshoe is complete they could install a large crosswalk with flashing indicators, that would allow them to use the assembly hall lots for the offices and hall of fame.

Not sure the need is great enough to warrant that high of an expenditure. To tunnel underneath for either a passage or the street you would have to worry about any and all underground utilities plus the steam tunnels that run through there. It is much easier and cheaper to just close the street on game days. Maybe after the renovation of the horseshoe is complete they could install a large crosswalk with flashing indicators, that would allow them to use the assembly hall lots for the offices and hall of fame.

I think there's some idea that the area immediately north of the SFC might be used for a replacement for Ubben.

I really wish we had a master facilities plan, but alas.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Having major upgrades is always a good thing. Hopefully it helps in recruiting. Lovie, major facilities upgrades etc.

Dan

Admin
The space between SFC and south end of Memorial Stadium. So much potential.. hmm...

memorial-stadium-renovation-2016d.jpg

Deleted member 3875

D
The space between SFC and south end of Memorial Stadium. So much potential.. hmm...

Tree huggers might have a problem with connecting SFC and MS. Spotted owls have been sighted in those trees.

Illinimedic

Rochester, Illinois
I love the rendering, definitely big time. Really encloses that end and could really add to the on field noise level. Structure itself kind of reminds me of MS-Lincoln's endzones.

Only issue a I have is the potential to further decrease capacity. I definitely understand people not wanting a 75-80k stadium when we can't fill it but we do not need to go under 60k. I've felt for a while that we should settle in at 65-70k and that is a reasonable capacity to build towards.

I don't understand how this project is going to decrease, though. The renderings make it look as if the new structure will be much larger than the current horseshoe.

That would be a hug upgrade to what we currently have. Looks much better and will keep some more noise in the stadium (if/when we get some) Plus, might keep some wind out. Zuppke Field can become quite the wind tunnel!

I think it would be cool to have a well-designed "Illini" pedestrian-only bridge over Kirby that would lead to an open air area similar to the columns on the east/west sides.

But, I'm no designer. What they have mocked up looks great to me!

My guess just by eyeballing it is that it would increase capacity by a relatively small amount.

From what people who have read the study as part of the request have said, it would actually be overall a net loss of 1,500 seats.

In these plans, they are also going to remove the top 14 rows of the East Main Stands under the balcony and put in ADA seating. This would be a loss of 3,000 seats.

The new structure in the south end zone would add 1,500 more than the current horseshoe. Making a net loss overall of 1,500

Any rumblings on upgrading the indoor practice facility? Probably not the highest priority but ours is well behind others in the B1G

From what people who have read the study as part of the request have said, it would actually be overall a net loss of 1,500 seats.

In these plans, they are also going to remove the top 14 rows of the East Main Stands under the balcony and put in ADA seating. This would be a loss of 3,000 seats.

The new structure in the south end zone would add 1,500 more than the current horseshoe. Making a net loss overall of 1,500

1,500 one way or the other isn't a big deal.

And getting rid of those seats deep under the overhang is a good idea, those are some of the worst seats in the house.

Also, if lowering the field isn't feasible (it is feasible, but if they decide not to do it for whatever reason), you could also just tear down the first five rows in the spots where they are currently tarped off. That would create the appearance of a lot of distance from the field, but the fans would be no further away and it would be infinitely better than than janky tarped-off look we have now.

For real, if we spend nine figures TWICE and still have the tarps....I'm gonna blow a gasket or something.

Where they should add seats is bringing the North End Zone down to field level, and putting students where the band currently sits.

In any event, if we get to a place where there is huge demand for tickets beyond the capacity at 60, 61, 59, whatever thousand, you could easily tear down the North End Zone and build a section that seats 8,000 more people without breaking a sweat, and if your ticket demand is that high it would pay for itself. That's a long way off.

Wow, really? A DECREASE in seating? 60k is already embarrassingly low for a University of nearly 50,000 with anticipated enrollment increases. I get we're not great and struggle to fill the stadium as is, but geez...

:chief::shield:

Wow, really? A DECREASE in seating? 60k is already embarrassingly low for a University of nearly 50,000 with anticipated enrollment increases. I get we're not great and struggle to fill the stadium as is, but geez...

When the day comes that it is needed more seats can be added. 1,500 is nothing right now.

People focus on this so much, but first it will be years until we need more seats, and second, I don't think we will ever get back to the days where we need the 75-80,000 of the 1980s on matter what.

Everyone forgets that back then in those days even with those very very good Illini teams in the 80s, there was only 1 game a week on TV maybe 2. So you had to go to the game if you wanted to see it.

With every game on TV and HD and big screens, I just don't think most schools can or will attract 80,000 plus no matter what.

I might be wrong and kind of hope I am wrong, but that is just my thought.

Minnesota has an even bigger enrollment than we do, and are right downtown in a major metropolitan area, and play in a 50k stadium. And it's a great place to see a game and a huge improvement on their previous 64k venue.

Capacity is just a number. It's the environment that counts.

West Virginia, Oregon, Louisville, Colorado, just to name a few, have iconic venues and great gameday environments at a lower capacity than MS.

As S&C pointed out, we can add several thousand more seats IF NEEDED down the road. But that problem is at least 10 years off right now, and that assumes we build some sustained success.

As much as I'd love a bigger stadium, the more important issue is filling the seats we have. I'm not sure when we last averaged over 50k for a season, let alone 60k.

Long term - I'd love to get back over 65k if we are successful and constantly fill up the stadium. I feel like that's a solid number for a university our size with our past success. But that's a long ways off.

I'd love to see some sort of pedestrian plaza to really highlight this space and emphasize a connection between our two historic athletic buildings. There's the truck loading ramp going under SFC, but aside from that there's room to do something here. Especially with the new stairs on SFC facing directly towards the south end of MS (I think) - it'd be nice to create a nice connection there with some nice landscaping or other ground improvements.

There's supposedly a comment in the bid proposal about a commemorative statue - I'd love to see a huge Butkus statue be the centerpiece for this new entrance to the football facility, along with a cool brick crossing walkway or something in the middle of the block leading right to the new South endzone facility.

Not sure what to do with Kirby though - it's likely impractical to create a pedestrian bridge or move Kirby underground as has been floated in the past. I wonder how big of an impact it would be to make Kirby only one lane in each direction for that block? It would provide more room for the football building and plaza, and that road is closed anyway on gamedays.

As S&C pointed out, we can add several thousand more seats IF NEEDED down the road. But that problem is at least 10 years off right now, and that assumes we build some sustained success.

As much as I'd love a bigger stadium, the more important issue is filling the seats we have. I'm not sure when we last averaged over 50k for a season, let alone 60k.

Long term - I'd love to get back over 65k if we are successful and constantly fill up the stadium. I feel like that's a solid number for a university our size with our past success. But that's a long ways off.

Not seeing where we can get several thousand more seats in. Maybe if the NEZ is rebuilt, but I doubt we'll net thousands of new seats from that. I think that if Lovie and crew are as successful as I believe they will be, regular sellouts should be happening by 2019...

Illinimedic

Rochester, Illinois
I'm just not convinced we are that far off from regular sell outs. Like I get that it hasn't happened in awhile but we also have been too relevant for quite a while. If we win on a regular basis, achieve the level of success the new administration is pushing for we won't have any problems drawing 60k on a regular basis. We just drew 60k for a game we really had no business thinking we would win. I mean if all we care about is filling the seats we have and having a good game day environment why don't we just knock out another 15k seats and fill it up. I just think we should think just a little bit bigger. I'm not proposing an 80k seat stadium just to have a 80k seat stadium. I was just hoping we would settle in around 65k and work towards filling that amount of seats which I see as quite doable on a regular basis with a regular winner. I am also expecting to be a regular winner in a few years with Lovie at the helm so this is obviously contingent upon that assumption. I don't know just my 2 cents.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but not a huge fan of that rendering, at least as far as the in-stadium view. The outside looks pretty good. IMO the inside has too many lines going at odd angles; Memorial Stadium is all about the long horizontal lines and vertical columns. Not advocating for anything as set-off as the NEZ structure, and of course it's an improvement over the current horseshoe by far, but I don't think that design fits with the rest of the stadium as well as it could.

Status
Not open for further replies.