Memorial Stadium Renovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
MGR - minor detail. OK while we're dropping $50M++ extend the indoor field and re- roof it.. its a metal box!!! indoor field is for backup use during full team practiced so if only 80yds due to site constraints it can be worked around during the rare in season or spring days when can't be outside.. (See U Miami's plans for an example). Most use of indoor field is during the off season.

Constraint? Cannot transition from lifting to conditioning easily. Can't have Offense lifting and Defense doing on field technique work and then switch efficiently...snd then transition to position meetings. Iowa's facility come to mind..

Also kids can lift and then walk right out to the field to play catch, kick, punt..whatever..

Trust me a recruit does not care about a new stadium end zone as much as the facility where he will spend most of his college career...the practice facility.

If it can be worked around on the rare times when the indoor needs to be used then why would we focus the entire project around connecting the facility to the indoor?

This is one of my favorite threads on this board so I was excited to see new posts, maybe the architectural firm finalized the blue prints or something. How anyone could see this as any less than very exciting is beyond me.

This is one of my favorite threads on this board so I was excited to see new posts, maybe the architectural firm finalized the blue prints or something. How anyone could see this as any less than very exciting is beyond me.

I'm hoping/guessing the finalized plans get announced in the next month or two. Very exciting times!

If it can be worked around on the rare times when the indoor needs to be used then why would we focus the entire project around connecting the facility to the indoor?

Glad this isn't an internet argument. Not my intent.

I'll respectfully return a question prior to answering yours...Why the fixation on the SEZ? Why confuse the issues of "fan experience" and getting the team the best that money can buy to help it win....which is the biggest influencer of fan experience and recruiting that there is. We already have the big jumbotron, a decent sound system.... and luxury boxes. Its not like those areas are totally lacking so I don't see the emergency in that area. (question: were the original SEZ plans drawn up before we had those things??) IMHO, the emergency is in the facilities that go into making the product BEFORE game day.

The indoor field is most important in the off season to maximize flexibility in designing off season workouts and to save precious time. For full-team work it is a backup for inclement weather or when doing walk thrus or pre-game stuff where you'd rather have players paying attention rather than focusing on how they are freezing their asses off because practice isn't a ball-buster. So an 80yrd field, while not optimal is not a disaster. But given that the current field is simply a metal box with a turf floor... if build a new complex over there then it might make sense to simply go ahead and redo that and make it 100yds or whatever Lovie needs. Or, better yet, build the new building to encompass the footprint of where the indoor field is now (and more), then put in a new indoor field and have a door going out to one grass field on the South end. So if you feel the need to practice on grass...you walk across the indoor turn and go outside. This also addresses some other point that was made about the indoor facility needing replacing in a few years. Do. It. Now!

I'll use Iowa as an example again. ... They didn't build their complex in the Kinnick parking lot and make stadium improvements at the same time. They built a stand alone facility that connects to their practice fields (indoor and out). Now this year they are going to start on improving one of their end zones. Two separate projects. Two separate purposes.

Most importantly... I think that the SEZ site has more constraints.. and will involve road closures etc. etc. Build where I am talking about and its darn near a green field. Construction will be easier, and quicker and cheaper. I'd think. Maximum flexibility to do whatever is needed to give us the best... and there won't be anyone 5 years from now asking, "so why did we spend $XXXMM to put our locker room and training facilities FARTHER away from our indoor practice field than they are now." Lol.

We do that and then improve the stadium as a separate project... except maybe then we'll be talking about ADDING capacity... and not simply because more Ohio State fans want to come to watch their team play.

And in the end... not one thing said on this thread will have an impact on anything!

Last edited:
I don't think Josh Whitman of all people is confusing the fan experience and team needs at all. The project is going to accomplish some of both. You can't base our needs off of what other schools have done. There isn't a lot of space right near the stadium and incorporating the football facility into the stadium is what makes the most sense (according to a professional architecture/structural engineering firm!)

Your fixation on the indoor is unnecessary. The new facility is supposedly going to contain training space in addition to the weight room. Whatever the S&C staff wants to do they will be able to do in the weight room, training facility, on the field inside the stadium, or walk 2 minutes down to the indoor.

I don't think Josh Whitman of all people is confusing the fan experience and team needs at all. The project is going to accomplish some of both. You can't base our needs off of what other schools have done. There isn't a lot of space right near the stadium and incorporating the football facility into the stadium is what makes the most sense (according to a professional architecture/structural engineering firm!)

Your fixation on the indoor is unnecessary. The new facility is supposedly going to contain training space in addition to the weight room. Whatever the S&C staff wants to do they will be able to do in the weight room, training facility, on the field inside the stadium, or walk 2 minutes down to the indoor.

You have to keep up with other B1G facilities otherwise you will not compete at a high level. We may not base our needs on other facilities but we must compare our facilities against the competition and provide something on par. We will never compete for B1G championships again if we dont keep up with the competition.

You have to keep up with other B1G facilities otherwise you will not compete at a high level. We may not base our needs on other facilities but we must compare our facilities against the competition and provide something on par. We will never compete for B1G championships again if we dont keep up with the competition.

Of course you have to keep up with the competition. That's not what that quote is about, rather the fact that you can't necessarily build a complex separate from the stadium if it doesn't make sense given the physical space available. That is a school-specific issue and some schools may have the space available right next to their stadium to build a complex, but we don't currently have that luxury.

The complex will absolutely get us back into the game in terms of having facilities near the level of others...its a 120+ million dollar project.

Of course you have to keep up with the competition. That's not what that quote is about, rather the fact that you can't necessarily build a complex separate from the stadium if it doesn't make sense given the physical space available. That is a school-specific issue and some schools may have the space available right next to their stadium to build a complex, but we don't currently have that luxury.

The complex will absolutely get us back into the game in terms of having facilities near the level of others...its a 120+ million dollar project.
I think abc is saying that we do have that space though. If you look at an aerial of Irwin there is quite a bit of space between the existing structure and the sidewalk to both the north and east. There *might* be enough room to build a new structure around the existing facility that would allow us to have all of these amenities right next to each other. Illinois has done similar projects for other buildings on campus. The Digital Computer Lab comes to mind.

It's certainly an interesting and slightly outside the box idea. If we are going to spend millions on renovations for the new ers of Illinois football we better do it right the first time. I haven't made up mind either way about which option is actually better. They both have their own pros and cons. It's just exciting that we will be moving forward and spending the money to hopefully build the football program.

Entire post.

Exactly. I think there is room, and if $$ is no object then I actually now think we demo the existing indoor field, build there (and expand the footprint as much as necessary), build a new turf field in a box (indoor practice field) adjacent to the new football operations center and have grass practice field space in whatever room is left over. (This would be a distant last in priority... with an 80yd grass field being completely acceptable.

My question was serious about the "SEZ plans". I need someone with more knowledge to weigh in here... I bet they pre-date Whitman. Did they pre-date the Jumbotron and the recruiting lounge in the NEZ? Was that a "best bang for the buck" solution? Or was it a "$$ is no object" solution? I want the latter. I am all in on Lovie and staff. Build the complex and then get the $$ to start the stadium rennovations with the NEZ (!!) and add TWO smaller jumbotrons on that end before worrying about the SEZ (other than improved restrooms etc.).

Are we being constraind to some architect drawings that were constrained by the situation as it was years ago?

I want all football admin, practice and other non-game activities under one roof. I want a barber shop, a bowling alley and whatever other stuff that recruits want. I want to give Lovie maximum flexibility to lay things out the way he wants to be most efficient. I don't want one minute of time wasted. If going in... then go ALL in. The SEZ site is great (or at least the couple drawings that have been circulated look great) but I think there is a better alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. I think there is room, and if $$ is no object then I actually now think we demo the existing indoor field, build there (and expand the footprint as much as necessary), build a new turf field in a box (indoor practice field) adjacent to the new football operations center and have grass practice field space in whatever room is left over. (This would be a distant last in priority... with an 80yd grass field being completely acceptable.

My question was serious about the "SEZ plans". I need someone with more knowledge to weigh in here... I bet they pre-date Whitman. Did they pre-date the Jumbotron and the recruiting lounge in the NEZ? Was that a "best bang for the buck" solution? Or was it a "$$ is no object" solution? I want the latter. I am all in on Lovie and staff. Build the complex and then get the $$ to start the stadium rennovations with the NEZ (!!) and add TWO smaller jumbotrons on that end before worrying about the SEZ (other than improved restrooms etc.).

Are we being constraind to some architect drawings that were constrained by the situation as it was years ago?

I want all football admin, practice and other non-game activities under one roof. I want a barber shop, a bowling alley and whatever other that recruits want. I want to give Lovie maximum flexibility to lay things out the way he wants to be most efficient. I don't want one minute of time wasted. If going in... then go ALL in. The SEZ site is great (or at least the couple drawings that have been circulated look great) but I think there is a better alternative.

kudos for this not devolving into name calling...

No name calling necessary. I think we are having a respectful debate here. The only problem I had with your original point was that part that the south end zone project doesn't make sense because of a longer walk to the indoor.

I think your idea for having it in a different spot is valid, but I also don't see the problem with having it in the south end zone incorporated into the stadium. I believe the plans will have everything you are hoping for (and more importantly, everything the coaching staff wants).

This is total guesswork on my part, but I think that scrapping/building around the indoor would cost more than the south end zone when its all said and done.

It's also worth noting that the indoor is used by the other sports teams to practice year round and that a lot of the "fan experience" items you mentioned earlier are going to be in the east stands. But, these renovations are going to be a huge improvement on what we have no matter what ends up happening and it's a huge step forward for the program.

Good discussion. I have always wondered why the focus is on the SEZ for the football offices and complex. I thought it would make more sense to make the grand entrance to the stadium on the east side along with the football team complex and interconnecting this with a re-vamped indoor facility. Maybe space is a concern there also, but I hardly think it would be as constrained as what the SEZ seems to be. I new SEZ, concentrated on bringing more seats closer to the field would be the priority for that area I would assume.I guess I am just not thrilled with the plan.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Good discussion. I have always wondered why the focus is on the SEZ for the football offices and complex. I thought it would make more sense to make the grand entrance to the stadium on the east side along with the football team complex and interconnecting this with a re-vamped indoor facility. Maybe space is a concern there also, but I hardly think it would be as constrained as what the SEZ seems to be. I new SEZ, concentrated on bringing more seats closer to the field would be the priority for that area I would assume.I guess I am just not thrilled with the plan.
The problem with the main grand entrance being on the east side is the fact that almost none of the parking is over that way, and it likely won't ever be due to a cemetery being across the street there. It would make sense for the practice and team facilities to be over there but of course that would essentially eliminate that practice field.

I don't know why they couldn't build something on at least part of that practice field space. There's a LOT of room there.

I don't know why they couldn't build something on at least part of that practice field space. There's a LOT of room there.

There is a lot of room, but you need a lot of room to move around when practicing on natural grass because it gets torn up by 250 Lb guys in cleats.

Does anyone know why the indoor facility is only 70 yards long? There's a lot of space between the building and Peabody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know why the indoor facility is only 70 yards long? There's a lot of space between the building and Peabody.

Don't know for sure, but maybe building codes?

If not that or another technical reason, then a terrible, terrible short-term decision at the time to think that 70 yards would suffice.

Probably because it was Guenther in charge.....

But seriously, I would make an educated guess that it had more to do with the amount of outdoor practice space they felt was necessary at that time

Don't know for sure, but maybe building codes?

If not that or another technical reason, then a terrible, terrible short-term decision at the time to think that 70 yards would suffice.

Meh. It's not like you need a full field to hold practices during those times when the weather makes you go indoors.

Meh. It's not like you need a full field to hold practices during those times when the weather makes you go indoors.

Agree to disagree. When they are doing full team drills, probably not. But for splitting the field into areas for each position to do drills and for certain special teams, I have to imagine it gets a bit hectic. In general, its probably not the worst situation, but i don't think its ideal.

Agree to disagree. When they are doing full team drills, probably not. But for splitting the field into areas for each position to do drills and for certain special teams, I have to imagine it gets a bit hectic. In general, its probably not the worst situation, but i don't think its ideal.

This is the main point, when you have a roster of 85 kids, plus double digits coaches/assistants, trying to break out into your groups for various drills, etc space can become an issue. I can remember how much space was required to do this in high school with half the number of players and coaches

I don't think we disagree, no it's not "ideal". But "terrible, terrible short term decision" given all the issues we've had with football is just overstating it. At the time it was built it was replacing the "bubble" we used and was a huge step up. I believe it was pretty common to have such a reduced field for indoor facilities.

I don't think we disagree, no it's not "ideal". But "terrible, terrible short term decision" given all the issues we've had with football is just overstating it. At the time it was built it was replacing the "bubble" we used and was a huge step up. I believe it was pretty common to have such a reduced field for indoor facilities.

Still not very forward thinking. And IMPE is much closer to the street than Irwin. Plus that's a campus street so wouldn't UI control the zoning?

Thanks Bush/Obama.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time it probably seemed like a capable and cost efficient facility, but if I recall correctly not much has been done on it since then.

On the long laundry list of things to do that the athletic department is facing, I consider renovating/expanding/rebuilding the indoor something with fairly high priority because it is used by many sports.

OrangeAndBlues

Indianapolis
Hindsight is 20/20. At the time it probably seemed like a capable and cost efficient facility, but if I recall correctly not much has been done on it since then.

On the long laundry list of things to do that the athletic department is facing, I consider renovating/expanding/rebuilding the indoor something with fairly high priority because it is used by many sports.

And the Marching Illini periodically.

EJ33

San Francisco
I'll use Iowa as an example again. ... They didn't build their complex in the Kinnick parking lot and make stadium improvements at the same time. They built a stand alone facility that connects to their practice fields (indoor and out). Now this year they are going to start on improving one of their end zones. Two separate projects. Two separate purposes.

Makes a ton of sense. Other schools seem have built great player facilities for ~$60 million. Why not start there with a gold-plated facility and then move on to the stadium later.

Status
Not open for further replies.