Memorial Stadium Renovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that's what this means at all. I deginately think that it means that all the improvements desired will have to be phased in. Work on the stadium :eyesores" will take a back seat. They will do functionality upgrades but the grand SEZ plan is dead I also think it means that he is not going to out in a mini golf course', and some of the truly frivolous stuff that is included in Clemson new facility for example. You can have best in class without being stupid. I remain optimistic that this will be done right.

I guess if they have changed the location of the project, then that would delay the reveal of the plans, but I had expected to hear more by now. Hoping we get some concrete news on this soon.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
In theory you could, but where would they team work out of while the renovations are going on?

I also think the plan was to use the existing NEZ facilities as a home for some of the Olympic sports.

Although I do agree that the north endzone needs a face lift within the decade.

for one year, while the NEZ & Irwin renovations were going on, why couldn't they but a bubble on the field like they did back in the late 1980's ?

just for one off-season .................

EJ33

San Francisco
Translation: we don't have the money to do this right.

I don't think that's what this means at all. I deginately think that it means that all the improvements desired will have to be phased in. Work on the stadium :eyesores" will take a back seat. They will do functionality upgrades but the grand SEZ plan is dead I also think it means that he is not going to out in a mini golf course', and some of the truly frivolous stuff that is included in Clemson new facility for example. You can have best in class without being stupid. I remain optimistic that this will be done right.

Whitman's comments in the article were from an interview on Saturday Sportsline. I'm almost certain your bolded comments are exactly what he meant. I think we should sink all the money into player facilities before we put another penny into Memorial Stadium.

I think we should sink all the money into player facilities before we put another penny into Memorial Stadium.

We all do, as does Lovie, as does Whitman, but the guys writing the checks want their additional space to be wined and dined. That's the pay-for. And that's the real tragedy of RG's half-renovation. He used up all of the resources that luxury-box-izing MS could bring and delivered on virtually nothing of what you'd want to accomplish with that funding to play with.

It's not gonna be hard to have a measuring stick here. Iowa is brand new, Northwestern is under construction, Purdue and Minnesota are at about the same stage we are, there are going to be very direct comparables to what we are doing.

We're already going to get less for more money, which is one part piggybacking with a stadium renovation and one part the cost of doing business in the state of Illinois. But whatever the price tag, we can't leave ourselves meaningfully behind our direct competition.

If you want to see what a "no frills" and "football functionality first" facility looks like in 2017, check out what Iowa did. This ain't a scene, it's an arms race gang.

It's not gonna be hard to have a measuring stick here. Iowa is brand new, Northwestern is under construction, Purdue and Minnesota are at about the same stage we are, there are going to be very direct comparables to what we are doing.

Minnesota will be opening the new "Village" at the beginning of 2018.

The building is taking shape now, and probably moves MN way up well above Purdue and a few others. OSU, Michigan, PSU, and Nebraska will spend whatever it takes to be at the top, but for a while Minnesota will be in the upper half of the conference in facilities. The Northwestern Lakefront might be tough to top, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BF8Cc0mniQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ_hcMlFk-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azxtcK6Ffcs

Glory Days

Palmetto, FL
Illinois should have a great advantage over the current or under construction projects, in that the Illini can go over the top of them all....with the exception of the NW lakefront view.

But we can get some hellacious corn field views....

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Illinois should have a great advantage over the current or under construction projects, in that the Illini can go over the top of them all....with the exception of the NW lakefront view.

But we can get some hellacious corn field views....
With where they'd build it it would most likely be a cemetery view!

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Oh the fun quirks of our campus lol

Back in the day I rode my bicycle along the cemetery at night. I don't care how hot it was (summer session), there was always a cool drift of air coming out of there. I don't believe in ghosts, but that was creepy. I went another way. Not worth taking any chances.

Deleted member 3875

D
Back in the day I rode my bicycle along the cemetery at night. I don't care how hot it was (summer session), there was always a cool drift of air coming out of there. I don't believe in ghosts, but that was creepy. I went another way. Not worth taking any chances.

A blanket, a coed, .....good times.

"Makin love in the green grass behind the stadium-with you my browneyed girl."

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
You guys need to stop posting in here... anytime I see a new post I think some news about the project has come out haha.

edavis4

Lynchburg, VA
Has there ever been a discussion or as it ever been looked into about lowering the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.