Miami 81, Illinois 79 POSTGAME

I mind Dakich, screw that guy. My sister lives in Indy and said he and his son are total tools privately.
I live near Indy...you would really hate his daily show. When he has a guest, he is pretty good but when he has nothing scheduled he is a total jerk. My wife cringes if she gets in the car...my signal to change to music. I think he is a good analyst because he is a coach...and he is not afraid to call people out..like why weren't we doubling the little guy to get the ball out of his hands since he was killing us

The OP is right about Da’Monte being our biggest liability on offense.

He very well may be just that but on a 3rd in the nation scoring offense, not sure this means alot one way or another for us? His other traits outway his lack of scoring.

After listening to BU's press conference, it's not going to be a fun week for the boys. He threw himself under the bus for poorly constructed practices....sourcing the need to coach effort more. For those who have played, do currently play, have coached or do currently coach.......we know what going back and coaching effort means.

Get the puke buckets ready for tomorrow.

Regardless of the outcome of this season, I really want to see Ayo go pro and bring in Miller and Curbelo. We need a true PG.

I still believe this team will figure things out and gel more, but I’m way more interested in year 2 of Kofi, and real, actual wing play along with Curbelo and Miller.

Just gotta avoid a disaster this year.

We're Illinois. No way do we get something as good as Kofi for more than one year.

Maybe I missed it in post game interviews? Did any reporter have the balls to ask the 1 ? that needed asked? Why didn't we press a forward and a freshman guard bringing the ball up when Lykes was gone?

What is everybody complaining about offense? that wasn’t a problem tonight defense was. We gave up 50 pts in the 1st half and at least 10 turnover, 9 in the 1st 9 minutes of the game. It’s guard play on offense and defense that is killing us. Ayo seems disinterested at times.

And to think our top 5 in the country backcourt has gotten punked twice by the only 2 decent teams we've played. Can't wait to see what we do against Maryland's backcourt on Saturday.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
And to think our top 5 in the country backcourt has gotten punked twice by the only 2 decent teams we've played. Can't wait to see what we do against Maryland's backcourt on Saturday.
Maybe, just maybe, it's NOT a top 5 in the country backcourt. Maybe not top 50.

I was pretty worried about this bc of the long layover. Illini tend to not do well coming out of a long break. I think the talent on the team is there. The problem imo is the coaching. I think that's why the team is so inconsistent. Underwood has a great recruiting staff, but I was hoping the Illini were getting a good coach as well.

I think with this Illini team, if the intensity is there from the getgo, I think they can beat the Michigans and Marylands of the world. They just have to be consistent and bring the energy every time.

He very well may be just that but on a 3rd in the nation scoring offense, not sure this means alot one way or another for us? His other traits outway his lack of scoring.
I haven’t seen a stat where we’re 3rd in the nation in scoring.
Obviously his defense is why he’s on the floor and I have no qualms with his defending, but he has to attack when he’s open otherwise he kills our offense. I mentioned in a previous post that I don’t know if he’s not allowed to try and score or if he lacks the confidence to. I don’t think he lacks the ability.

I was pretty worried about this bc of the long layover. Illini tend to not do well coming out of a long break. I think the talent on the team is there. The problem imo is the coaching. I think that's why the team is so inconsistent. Underwood has a great recruiting staff, but I was hoping the Illini were getting a good coach as well.

I think with this Illini team, if the intensity is there from the getgo, I think they can beat the Michigans and Marylands of the world. They just have to be consistent and bring the energy every time.
So you're citing the effort and intensity as the issue. I agree with you. I think Underwood agrees with you too. There's only so much time you can spend telling, screaming, preaching effort. The one part of BU that I don't question is how fiery and intense he is. He had to apologize last year for getting in guys faces. I forgot who it was that he lit up in public. It was a whole ordeal. Well, he's strayed from that. I think he knows that he has to pump up the volume a bit because these guys don't seem capable of taking it upon themselves to do so. The frustration we feel, I'm sure BU feels ten fold. It's his product on the floor.

I enjoy his pressers because he's respectfully honest.

Not too many teams in the country have a top 30 recruit and NBA 1st rounder, an all B!G freshman and the conference's best 6th man in the backcourt.
What team are you talking about? Kofi is the top 30 recruit.....who's the NBA first rounder and the best 6th man? I'm not seeing that.

When Ayo came to Illinois, the word was his shooting was questionable, still is. He needs to be a lot better shooter if he is going in the first round.

What team are you talking about? Kofi is the top 30 recruit.....who's the NBA first rounder and the best 6th man? I'm not seeing that.

Sorry, Ayo was #32 and haven't you seen on here he is squarely a first rounder :))), plus not sure there was a better 6th man in the B!G last year than Feliz. If there was I'll take your suggestion.

Similar feel to Nebraska football game. I’m sick of this. Another coach that is supposed to be a “defensive genius” and yet it’s the worst thing we got. This was not a difficult matchup. If lykes and the Australian are their best shooters, then put your best defenders (Frazier, Damonte, Feliz) on them like glue and let the rest play zone. That’s junior high stuff that’s not hard to grasp. Right now BU is like lovie: will hold himself accountable for his “mistakes” in prep and practice, but fails to adjust properly. I’m also disappointed that nobody put Lykes into the student section in the first 5 minutes on a drive. Send a message that he won’t forget. That’s why he was still a cocky little **** in the 2nd half with 4 fouls dribbling up the floor against Ayo. Adjusting too late and not getting your players ready is why Groce couldn’t win games and BU is walking a dangerous path right now if he doesn’t change fast, including not having GB and KC in the lineup together anymore. Speed and agility will kill GB at his position against Michigan, Ohio state, Maryland, and the rest of the conference.

*Failure to plan is a plan for failure

I haven’t seen a stat where we’re 3rd in the nation in scoring.

Oops, sorry it was 2nd not 3rd....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/stat/scoring-per-game

He plays within himself, when many others don't...Stat line tonight. 2-6, 6 shots a game from him is plenty to keep him honest. He also had 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 assists and no turnover's.

Not completely PRO Williams, but I would say he plays his role the way he is asked too. Ayo took 14 shots to get 12 points and had the game ending mishap?

We better guard Cowan a lot better than we did Lykes. I think this team is less than the sum of its parts. Watched press conference... Kipper certainly got called out. Don't remember him getting back in after his short stint in the first. Effort an issue but inability to run offense to get anyone open a bigger problem.

We may be Top 5 in the B1G, not the country. I actually like our chances alot better against Maryland than Miami guard play.

We may be Top 5 in the B1G, not the country. I actually like our chances alot better against Maryland than Miami guard play.

I hope you're right about Maryland, but Cowans, Ayala, Morsell, Wiggins and Smith are terribly good. We shall see.

You can add Ohio State to that list. Needing 3 or 4 top tier wins is not necessary to get in to the dance. But we can talk bracketology later in the year.

All I know is it is way too early in the season to be saying things so definitively. Remember the Michigan game in football? Bad 1st half, good 2nd half. Maybe this is the basketball version.
Agreed on the top 4 and agreed that you don’t need marquee wins to dance, but the wins have to come from somewhere. The B1G schedule-makers did us no favors this year and we have a decidedly uphill climb.

Say the magic number is 19 wins. That means 13-10 the rest of the way. We’ve got each of the top four twice save OSU. Win none of those and you need to win out the non-con, sweep the rest of your home games (which includes three solid wins against Purdue, Iowa, and IU), and go 3-3 on the road against everyone else.

I think this team will take a couple of games off of the top of the league. Even if they do, the margin for error is paper thin. You need Mizzou, can’t drop a bad one at home, and probably can’t give away anything on the road to the bottom four (and we miss trips to Lincoln and Minneapolis anyway).

Nobody would be happier than me if I’m wrong, but I really don’t like how this sets up. A 2-3 start to league play and a win in St. Louis is pretty much required to get back on track.