Miami 81, Illinois 79 POSTGAME

Heck of a defensive effort by the Illini. Over 55% in both categories. Yeah, teams are gonna have career nights if you can't play any defense. You play 2 really bad teams before this game and which brings out the fools gold in players and fans.

I thought the coach had learned by now to keep the center near the bucket on defense, but I guess not. The other is to cause Lyke to foul his 5th , to get him out of the game. Spread the court, pass in and out etc etc. I am afraid a long season ahead.

They shot the light out, especially the first half, and Lyke, just unbelievable shooting.

Last edited:
He's lost. He's not a 4, but he's being asked to play alongside Kofi.
I wouldn't mind seeing Giorgi as a 6th man, first off the bench, but only if Andres, Ayo, or Trent learn to feed Kofi in the post as well as Giorgi does.....

Teaching tool, seriously! Last year and the year before should be enough teaching. How much teaching do they need! Underwoods, defenses give up open shots on a regular basis. You play these bad teams and the defense can fool you, because they miss a lot of open shots.

Like other Underwood teams, much less than the sum of its parts. Same problems from previous years still fully intact.

Punesguy

Ft. Collins, CO
Wow, between a complete lack of effort during the first half by the Illini and “out of their mind” shooting by Miami it was one of the toughest halves of basketball I have seen in a while!
The second half got a bit better regarding effort and shooting % but here are a few of my takeaways:
Our backcourt had an awful night regarding turnovers and defense.
Kipper was horrific!
DW plays decent defense and is a complete liability on offense (shocker)!
Griffin is an athletic freak and will continue to become a bigger key to our success!
Kofi is a beast and I can’t wait to see how he develops this year ... just look at the progress he’s already made on FT’s.
Ayo is playing himself out of the first round. 5 of 14 (37%), 0 of 4 from 3, 0 boards and 12 points in 36 minutes. This was his chance on ESPN2 to showcase his talent and for about half of the game he looked apathetic. BU in the presser was asked if the team has a leader and he said it’s everyone’s responsibility. At the beginning of the year I had no doubt this was Ayo’s team and now I’m not so sure.

We have a bunch of talent but we have a lot of soul searching to do (coaches and players) and not much time to do it before Maryland and Michigan! I am hopeful but tonight was depressing!:shield:

Bailey

Los Angeles
Lindenwood and Hampton really got us ready for this game.
That's really what it was. Anybody who's been following this team could have predicted a flat first half. Combine that with lights out shooting from an actual opponent and voilà.

It's on the staff to get them better prepared for this scenario, but the silver lining is this won't happen again this year.

Why, why are Kofi and Giorgi picking up fouls 30 feet from the basket? Giorgi did that all of last year.

Unfortunately, the coach's defense scheme orders them to be out there. So layup after layup instead of making them
shoot 15 footers. I would think the coach would understand that a layup is a higher % shot than a 15 footer.

How many times will I believe we could actually have an decent team again? That Miami team is likely to end up very near the bottom of the ACC and we lost at home?

giphy.gif

Deleted member 8632

D
Kind of tough to score in the first 7 seconds when you spend the first 15 seconds of every possession running the weave. Can we stop that please.

Flight#33

Flight#33
Obviously Underwood and the boys aren't ready at the beginning of the games. Most games this year we have been down early, even to the cupcakes. Hyped up, isn't " ready to play" . If we have a 1st round pick on this team, he would not let his team get down by double digits, take over, do something.

I read posts here about Dakich. I'm surprised how positive some are about him after tonight. I had to mute the TV numerous times because of his constant negativity. I think Illinois deserved the criticism in the first half. That was really bad. The problem I have with Dakich is in the 2nd half. Illinois almost came back from a 19 point half time deficit, (27 point at one point in the first half) and he must have criticized them 50 times while they were coming back. It was pretty much at least once every time down the court. Maybe he knows basketball, but it sure eliminates any entertainment value when a guy constantly criticizes players and coaches, over and over and over. I think he should get into coaching. He might be a good coach but he is very difficult to listen to unless he's covering a team you just want to hear someone hate on. I don't mind honest comments. I actually like them, but when it is a continual barrage of negativity it gets a bit old in my opinion.

Does this hurt, yes. Lot of growing to do with a young club. Am I optimistic, not anymore. But still have faith. Just have to do a lot of growing in a short amount of time. 1 win in the next 2 games and we’re asking ourselves how this game happened. Illinois football had a similar drop off, let’s see if they can fight back after getting popped in the mouth. I’m expecting Ayo to be a different player after this game.

Flight#33

Flight#33
Does this hurt, yes. Lot of growing to do with a young club. Am I optimistic, not anymore. But still have faith. Just have to do a lot of growing in a short amount of time. 1 win in the next 2 games and we’re asking ourselves how this game happened. Illinois football had a similar drop off, let’s see if they can fight back after getting popped in the mouth. I’m expecting Ayo to be a different player after this game.

He better be, or Europe or the G league is all the pro ball he can expect to play

He better be, or Europe or the G league is all the pro ball he can expect to play
I mean I get you’re down in the dumps, as am I, but that’s not a fair assessment in any way shape or form. No one saw Nunn as an NBA player in his time at ILL, just got to grow and learn. Just hope it happens sooner than later.

I read posts here about Dakich. I'm surprised how positive some are about him after tonight. I had to mute the TV numerous times because of his constant negativity. I think Illinois deserved the criticism in the first half. That was really bad. The problem I have with Dakich is in the 2nd half. Illinois almost came back from a 19 point half time deficit, (27 point at one point in the first half) and he must have criticized them 50 times while they were coming back. It was pretty much at least once every time down the court. Maybe he knows basketball, but it sure eliminates any entertainment value when a guy constantly criticizes players and coaches, over and over and over. I think he should get into coaching. He might be a good coach but he is very difficult to listen to unless he's covering a team you just want to hear someone hate on. I don't mind honest comments. I actually like them, but when it is a continual barrage of negativity it gets a bit old in my opinion.
Well, I guess my question to you would be....did they deserve the criticism? If you followed this board along with the telecast....I think the opinions here were pretty much in sync with his opinions. Again, he's as much of a Big Ten Homer as Vitale was an ACC homer. We may not have liked his attacking comments and it may be aggravating at time....I just can't say that we didn't deserve it.

Heck, our own fans boo'd the team off the floor, which you don't hear too much in the college game. Overall, it was a real rough night and DD definitely pointed that out.

Deleted member 4960

D
How
Ayo...overrated, Too soft . Trent playing worse than before Ayo arrived offensively, Offense running weave like a hs drill allowing college players a chance to relax and get set up to defend. Seems like team doesn't respond to what Underwood wants. Underwood was definately perplexed in first 10 minutes of first half. Big hole at 4 with Giorgi not looking comfortable out there. Need a win against a good team sometime to offset this bad loss. Do not expect it with what I have seen so far. Not enough heart and leadership from Ayo and noone putting him in his place to let Andres, Alan or Trent to take charge of offense.
is Trent playing worse? He went 4-7 and had 14 pts? There are other scoring options now on the team (Ayo, Kofi, Giorgi, Feliz) he doesn’t get the volume of shots nor have the ball in his hands as much as his Freshman year!!

Total loss on Underwood. Who puts a 7 footer to go to the top of the key and guard a quick guard? Keep KC under or near the basket or to which ever side
the ball goes. Use that size, a few blocked shots and the game changes. FEED him inside , I don't care if he scores 40, make him punish the other team.
Got a big use him properly. Ayo should have passed to open Georgi, game over we would have squeaked out a flat performance.

most games i watch... the commentators don't have time / unction to go over a foul... he's watching griffin for that small bump which you needed a 2nd or 3rd camera angle and it's a judgement call... and his judgement anti-illini. i'm like... shush that man. he can't comment illini games

A lot of people complaining about what we’re running on offense or defense.

None of that matters when you don’t play hard. Play the full 40 like we played the last 25 and we win by 20.

Deleted member 51

D
Ayo said preseason, with the big guy back there, they didn't have to be as aggressive on defense and it shows.

I will say, if we only look at the 2nd half we played amazing. Problem is Illinois has been a 1 half team for too long and I had my hopes high that this was the season to change that. Too many cupcake matchups in a row and adjustments to miami’s Style of play came too late and there’s not much else to say.

Focus on the final few minutes if you want, but this game was decided in the first 10.

3) Da’Monte stopped the bleed with some great D and showed why he plays as many minutes as he does
4) a big part of our problem is Kofi who is a freshman... that means he has time to develop and learn. He can learn not to extend beyond the 3pt line.

Agreed DaMonte and Griffin were visible and productive. That is a good omen.