Michael Finke, Te'Jon Lucas transferring from Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
In regards to the line "and Illinois will not renew my scholarship." If it is the case that BU has pushed him out, the reason can only be he feels he has someone better to come in and play over Finke. If that's the case, BU did him a favor. Noone wants to spend their last season on the bench with a reduced role. He doesn't have to sit out and can find a school with a greater role than the beloved.

Good luck MF, wish you nothing but success in the future.

sacraig

The desert
Gotta get the players that fit your personality and culture. Frank Martin went from 14-18 (4-14) in his first year at South Carolina to the Final Four in year 5.

It’s not fun, but it’s what has to happen in this sort of rebuild. This was never going to be Weber coaching Self’s recruits to a title game. I’m excited that Underwood is starting to put together his kind of roster.

I certainly would like a Final Four, and taking 5 years to get back to that level is totally reasonable to me. I just really hope we can at least squeak into the tournament next year instead of waiting one more. I love March Madness and it pains me for the Illini to miss out.

I don't know the NCAA rules, so if the school doesn't renew a player's scholarship, do they still have to sit out a year to transfer, or are they free to go wherever they want?

Maybe that was what was done so that he could go to any school, no matter what Masters he was getting?

Just spit-balling.

I think he will be graduating, so I don't think this is an issue.

He graduated in Dec. Have no idea how far he is into his masters since then or if he was planning that for next year?

As someone else mentioned with his departure. Do hope it was not IL that pushed him out the door. Do wish that the fans could have said good bye on the court to both Black & Finke.

Tacomallini

Washington State
In regards to the line "and Illinois will not renew my scholarship." If it is the case that BU has pushed him out, the reason can only be he feels he has someone better to come in and play over Finke. If that's the case, BU did him a favor. Noone wants to spend their last season on the bench with a reduced role. He doesn't have to sit out and can find a school with a greater role than the beloved.

Good luck MF, wish you nothing but success in the future.

Perhaps. It seems that C-U kids tend to bleed orange and blue all the more, and I could total see Finke accepting a role player coming off the bench and trying to get U of I into the tournament in his final season. We'll probably never know the specifics of this decision, but this seems even shadier than the THT no-sign. Best of luck to him. Hope the one-year open scholarship that this opens up is worth it. :illinois:

But wouldn't he be a grad-transfer? And as the OP stated, I thought in order to be a grad transfer, you had to go someplace to get a Masters that your original school does not offer? Just seeing if maybe not renewing his scholarship was a way around that?

This make me sad. Finke was finally going to be able to slide into his natural 4 spot with Ebo in the middle. He'd have less responsibility for rebounding/defense, and he's always had a green light as shooter

Fans weren’t happy with last years program, but they don’t want change. Can’t have it both ways. I hate to lose upper class men, but it is part of the process. Go Brad Underwood!!

Now here is an Illini career I wish we had a mulligan on. There is a matchup nightmare in there somewhere. You hate to say it, but Wisconsin probably would have found it. Best of luck to the kid finding a program and a hairstyle that works for him ;)

Deleted member 29907

D
Fans weren’t happy with last years program, but they don’t want change. Can’t have it both ways. I hate to lose upper class men, but it is part of the process. Go Brad Underwood!!

I don't think the issue is not wanting change, but does this change help or hurt us. I think he could have helped us next year. Now if there is someone coming in who will have taken 80% of his minutes, then its best for him to go where he can still play. If this were a 'soft' freshman or soph. that didn't fit the system, then I can understand the 'its best you move on' message, but not for a last year guy. Yes, it makes room for a scholarship - but does everyone think we're going to play 12 deep effectively every year?

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Now here is an Illini career I wish we had a mulligan on. There is a matchup nightmare in there somewhere. You hate to say it, but Wisconsin probably would have found it. Best of luck to the kid finding a program and a hairstyle that works for him ;)

:thumb:all this

Michael Finke, well said, classy as departing as you were while playing. Maybe underappreciated by most and higher expectations from a fan base than what should have been expected. Played hard, adapted to everything going on in 4 years for a young man, and leaving on a solid note. Good luck to you and the family and your younger brother as well.

BoL to MF. I think it is the best for all.

The following from a tweet (where else can we meet?):

13 months after he was fired, 5 John Groce recruits remain on #Illini roster: Aaron Jordan, Kipper Nichols, Te’Jon Lucas, Trent Frazier and Da’Monte Williams

I think Trent/DaM/Kipper fit well (enough?) in BU's style. Te'Jon is good provided he screws his head on properly (BU is a tough cookie). And, Aaron is not going anywhere, even if his scholie is withdrawn.

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
BoL to MF. I think it is the best for all.

The following from a tweet (where else can we meet?):

I think Trent/DaM/Kipper fit well (enough?) in BU's style. Te'Jon is good provided he screws his head on properly (BU is a tough cookie). And, Aaron is not going anywhere, even if his scholie is withdrawn.

Tejon is for sure gone, UI can't withdraw AJ's 'ship. Guaranteed 4 years so if he stays (I expect him to) he is on scholarship.

Was not expecting that after his Dads interview from a week or 10 days ago.

Really? I was definitely expecting it after reading it. I think I even posted the same on one of these threads.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Best of Luck, Mr. Finke!! Really wish you could have finished your college career in the O&B.

And now, updated schollie grid please...

breadman

Herndon, VA
Not much of a true ILLINI backbone of a team left to teach the newcomers, that's for sure.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Why is tejon’s scholly not Garunteed or am I missing something?

Tejon still has a scholarship, but many speculate he's the next man up to transfer. AJ has a guaranteed scholarship because it's his fourth year, w/o a redshirt year. Hope that helps.

Wish him the best. Seems like a good guy. Not at all disappointed about him leaving.
Looking forward to replacements that add more skill and fit better in BU system.

UI can't withdraw AJ's 'ship. Guaranteed 4 years so if he stays (I expect him to) he is on scholarship.

Guaranteed 4 year scholly? And where did you happen to see this?
To my knowledge, scholarships are only guaranteed per year, and get renewed by the University.

Status
Not open for further replies.