Michael Finke, Te'Jon Lucas transferring from Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAIllini

West Coast
Alright Matic, you're up...man. How many lockers did one poster claimed were cleaned out right after the end of the season? Five I thought? Guess it depends if they were counting the lone graduating senior in that list or not...

What's the odds on some staff turnover as well during the FinalFour week.

Without being close to the program it's hard to say if this is a mass revolt against BU, or a culture-cleansing housecleaning by BU. Time will tell I guess, will give us something to talk about :) One thing I'm pretty sure we will not be talking about is a winning season next year; win-less BigTen potentially in play? I'll wait to see how recruiting wraps up.

Sometimes I look at what these coaches get paid and I think it's ludicrous, other times I look at the stress of their jobs and maybe they're actually underpaid! Very glad I'm not in BU's shoes right now....

In hindsight looking back at how aggressive and widespread our last month's recruiting efforts have been the coaching staff has known of most/all of these defections for some time.

Crazy times.

Good luck to both Finke and Lucas. When you want a culture change, you have start fresh, new faces with BU plans. None of this should shock anyone, not happy way it is coming down, but not surprised. Plenty of room for new players now. Hope we get right ones!

Deleted member 16068

D
Good luck to all the kids transferring. I hope you have much success in the future.

I am perfectly fine with this. We have been to ZERO tournament games in 5 years. If we want BU to be successful then we have to let him bring his type of players in to play his system. Now it's on him. Let's see what happens.....

Good luck to both Finke and Lucas. When you want a culture change, you have start fresh, new faces with BU plans. None of this should shock anyone, not happy way it is coming down, but not surprised. Plenty of room for new players now. Hope we get right ones!

Me too!! I haven't got too many lost decades left.

Without being close to the program it's hard to say if this is a mass revolt against BU, or a culture-cleansing housecleaning by BU.

It's not a full answer to that question, but we can be pretty sure that we would not have stood pat with just Ayo in the fall if the staff had seen this coming.

It's a shame. Someone is out there who is going to be a stud who might otherwise have been ours if we'd known.

Deleted member 631370

D
It's not a full answer to that question, but we can be pretty sure that we would not have stood pat with just Ayo in the fall if the staff had seen this coming.

It's a shame. Someone is out there who is going to be a stud who might otherwise have been ours if we'd known.

Well, something occurred between the fall and the present. A basketball season full of losing. So in that sense, of course nobody knew this was going to happen back in November.

The question still stands though as to what this represents. Frank Martin has had a TON of kids transfer during his tenure, for example. I imagine that Underwood's personality and style doesn't mesh well with the John Groce's, and that will play out with kids that John Groce recruited. I suspect the transfer rate will decrease with the kids that Underwood recruits -- because those kids know full well what they're getting in to -- but I suspect we'll still see higher turnover than under previous regimes.

I'm fine with that so long as we do indeed find our WV type players and keep enough of them to turn the corner. Time will tell.

Dan

Admin
DZP6Fb2WsAEbEE2.jpg

Does anyone think Underwood is to blame. I highly doubt he wouldn't offer those scholarships back to finke and lucas. Has me scratching my head..

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Wow, there's a chance we're younger next year than we were this year if 2 or more of those open schollies go to HS recruits. I didn't think that was possible.

Deleted member 29907

D
Boy, really wanted to keep Tejon. He seemed to be buying in. But, this is a transfer world we live in.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Does anyone think Underwood is to blame. I highly doubt he wouldn't offer those scholarships back to finke and lucas. Has me scratching my head..

To blame like the kids didn't want to play for him at all, or the kids wanted to start and they figured they wouldn't in his system?

Tacomallini

Washington State
By my count we're returning 8.5 years of experience right now. Dips down to 7.5 if Matic leaves.

SKane

Tennessee
All the best to Finke and Lucas!

As far as I know, they stayed out of trouble and went to class. Correct me if I am wrong. I hope that everything turns out well for them.

Deleted member 631370

D
So is this what rock bottom feels like?

Nah.

Honestly, John Groce's second-to-last season was rock bottom in my eyes. A horrendous season made all the worse by the knowledge that our loser coach was definitely going to be back another year because of the injury excuse. Sure enough, he's back with a full roster of seniors and we still miss the NCAA tournament.

Malcolm Hill goes 4 years without a tournament. That was rock bottom. Especially since we knew that Groce didn't have it in him to crawl out from the pit.

With Underwood, we're perhaps in a deeper pit, but there's valid cause for optimism that we'll be able to crawl out of it. That optimism grows if we round out the class with guys like Tevian Jones and maybe even Blake Hinson.

Just wait til Matic goes too. Lots of minutes available. Excited to see how this shakes out. Can’t say I’m surprised given how bad we were and all the rumors.

Does anyone think he should be commended? The quicker we move on from substandard talent the better.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
Remember last year when we thought we had a weak roster? Losing Lucas, Smith, Alstork, Finke, and Black in one offseason.... Not all of these players were great, but I would be surprised if we aren't even worse next year than this past year. BU really has his work cut out from him, because this is starting to look like a superhuman task.

sacraig

The desert

I don't agree with that assessment for several reasons.
  • There's nothing that proves the staff was intentionally standing pat rather than simply not landing the guys they were targeting.
  • Even if they were standing pat, you are also discounting the effect of the ongoing FBI investigation. It's entirely reasonable that a staff may slow play recruiting under odd situations such as this when recruits may also be waiting for this whole thing to play out.
  • I think it's silly to assume the staff expected little to no turnover when the entire recorded history of coaching changes indicates otherwise.

That said, I certainly don't know that any of these are necessarily true, but we also don't know that they are false, and they all plausibly undercut your statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.