Michael Finke, Te'Jon Lucas transferring from Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
I think what’s going on is we are cleaning house and building a winning basketball program.
As I said early in this thread, we really need to land these top prospects. If we somehow miss and are left scrambling for bodies it could be really ugly around here.:eek:

I'm guessing Underwood plays at the high stakes table in Vegas.

If it makes you all feel any better, everyone who has left or transferred this off season had zero NCAA appearances

P.S. - it doesn’t make me feel any better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Been away from the board and just caught up. Interesting reading on an engaging subject. Personally, I understand the need to turn things over. Some of it will be painful, especially when you lose guys you like and respect. However, we need to build from the bottom up.

I also think losing all these guys makes the Smith departure look better. We are not just losing one player, we are engaged in program building. Honestly, anyone who watched him play this past season would not think Smith was a great loss to the program. I wish him well, and Finke and TJL, but BU is doing him job, which is rebuilding a program he has great hopes and respect for.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Not sure any of this makes me feel any better about the direction of the program. Agree with someone above that we are cleaning house but, remains to be seen if we are building a winning program. Maybe it will look like a necessary evil later but, a revolving door of players is disconcerting.

All the best to Finke and Lucas!

As far as I know, they stayed out of trouble and went to class. Correct me if I am wrong. I hope that everything turns out well for them.

Well, Lucas was suspended for some reason.

illini80

Forgottonia
Not sure any of this makes me feel any better about the direction of the program. Agree with someone above that we are cleaning house but, remains to be seen if we are building a winning program. Maybe it will look like a necessary evil later but, a revolving door of players is disconcerting.
It's all about who we bring in. I don't think we will be talking about Creaning quite the same way in the future.:D

I'm all for rebuilding with a tougher mentality. I certainly didn't see the upheaval coming on this scale though. I would love to hear the pitch that Underwood is giving recruits right now.

Kinda makes me wonder if there is something going on in the basketball culture at Illinois

It isn't just basketball. There have been significant departures in football, volleyball and women's basketball under the new coaches.

Looks like TeJon is out and Andres Feliz is in. The kid is a scoring machine. Feliz,Frazier,Ayo,DaMonte,Alan Griffin,Aaron Jordon. A lot of guards.

Eh, those guys will be playing the 1-3 next year, so that's only two deep at each position. Kipper (if he's around) will probably be a small ball 4 most of the time.

In reality Underwood runs a system, so some players will fit it. Some will not. I wish all these kids the best and appreciate their time here at ILL. I think Lucas is an awesome player but not for this system. I think Finke should move down a level and hopefully dominate.Best Wishes.

Now it is up to Underwood to get the right players here. I believe he can do it

IMO the "players who fit his system" mantra is way overused, not only for Underwood but many coaches. Eventually, talent fits a lot of systems. The premise that we will outsystem other great coaches in the B1G and other good conferences/teams holds no water. We need a serious upgrade in talent.

It appears the banquet may be canceled and replaced with Portillo's drive thru.

I'm actually excited this is happening, why is anyone surprised?? Ayo is coming in and will start, Tejon didn't want to play second fiddle. Excited to see what Underwood does with a new roster, may take a few years.

Really sorry to see our best defensive player leave.

As I said early in this thread, we really need to land these top prospects. If we somehow miss and are left scrambling for bodies it could be really ugly around here.:eek:

I'm guessing Underwood plays at the high stakes table in Vegas.

It's March. We've already missed the top prospects and are scrambling for bodies.

I think you can be disappointed for guys like Finke, Lucas and Smith and be excited about the future of Illinois basketball. The reality is that for Underwood to get where he wants the team to go the page has to be turned. I think the fact that Jordan is apparently staying suggests Underwood is not simply telling guys they aren’t welcome back. I think Underwood is laying out a scenario where he is looking to bring in guys that fit his system and being upfront with guys about their likely role or lack of it next year. If guys choose to stay they know the deal or they can look for what they see as a better fit.

I used to love Illinois basketball. These last couple of years have been no fun at all. I really hope Underwood has a plan, because right now, it looks like an absolute mess, and we really don’t know what Ayo will be, everyone who is singing his praises were all saying Mark Smith will be a program changer. We have zero big guys with big ten skill. I just don’t see how this becomes a winning program for at least three years. Who is going to give Underwood four years to sniff the tourney?

um... Me:shield:

Illini_1979

Oregon
I used to love Illinois basketball. These last couple of years have been no fun at all. I really hope Underwood has a plan, because right now, it looks like an absolute mess, and we really don’t know what Ayo will be, everyone who is singing his praises were all saying Mark Smith will be a program changer. We have zero big guys with big ten skill. I just don’t see how this becomes a winning program for at least three years. Who is going to give Underwood four years to sniff the tourney?

I hope it doesn't take four years to get back to the tourney but I am willing to wait that long if I see positive progress being made.

This seems to me to be just like what is going on with the football program...some players just don't fit with the current coaches' system. Ultimately, the coach is the one making the big $$$ and the pressure is on them to win. They have to do what is necessary (and within the rules) to get it accomplished or they will be gone.

It's a tough business...and remember, it is a business, not just a game.

:illinois:

ritster

Wheaton, IL
It appears the banquet may be canceled and replaced with Portillo's drive thru.

That was a LOL from the kitchen table. Almost spit out my food.

I have some questions... Sweet or hot peppers? And the chocolate cake milkshake? Is that in the budget?

Ayo has played against the best competition this state and nation has to offer. There is better reason to believe he is ready to make an immediate impact quicker than Mark Smith. Smith was a late bloomer with not a lot of experience playing against guys who were as big and athletic as him.

I'm not giving Underwood four years certainly. Basketball isn't Football, one recruit, one transfer, one sleeper can change the trajectory of your program. With the amount of transfers available every year, a turn around can and should happen quickly.

If it takes four years then, I guess it takes four years. I’m more interested in what happens years 5, 6, 7 and beyond. We should be making the tournament consistently after our next appearance if we’ve got the right guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.