Michael Finke, Te'Jon Lucas transferring from Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29907

D
We were actually noticeably weaker when TJL was out from suspension - he came back and made an impact on D. Record or not, we were better with him in on the team this year. If we can get someone to replace him and perform at least as well then we net up, but we do not yet have someone there. To expect freshman to get there quickly, well, other than TF we found out that's a challenge. I do have high hopes for DMW in his second year however. Unfortunately we gave alot of his court time to MS.

illiniCA

DC Area
I feel like this was all to be expected and now everyone is freaking out. The real lose this off-season is black and maybe Smith. All the other names were predicted during the season.

I for one get the approach BU is taking. If you think you are better in two years by playing and developing new guys then it makes sense to focus your attention there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I feel like this was all to be expected and now everyone is freaking out. The real lose this off-season is black and maybe Smith. All the other names were predicted during the season.

I for one get the approach BU is taking. If you think you are better in two years by playing and developing new guys then it makes sense to focus your attention there.

I'm not freaking out. I guess if everyone is, I better start.

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin

Exactly. Someone please explain to me why we should be overly concerned about losing Te'Jon? He has no outside shot, his assist to turnover rate isn't that good, but was an average to above average defender. Trent and Ayo are well ahead of him.

There's no doubt that Leron is a big loss. As for Finke, he shot 31% from beyond the arc and 61% at the line. I wish these guys all the very best but this roster needed and is being reconstructed.

The disappointing part of this and Black transferring is that the fans don't get the chance to say good-bye. I think both would receive rousing ovations.....

Don't have time to read the whole thread now, but I agree completely. These guys may have lost a lot of games, but they were caught between a failing coach, and a rebuilding coach who plays polar opposite his predecessor. Not a good situation, and they gave us their best.

The whole thing saddens me, but I think this is Underwood looking at the situation and taking a hard look at who fits his style of play and who doesn't. Trying to change guys who don't fit is much harder than turning over the roster.

We may not have enough talent next year, but we'll get the system up and running. The guys who are out are all guys who IMO are the worst fit for what Underwood wants to do. Black was such a plus player that it's a real blow to lose him, but overall, I think this has to happen. JMO

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
From the sound of Tejon's interview, it sounded like Underwood was a little surprised by Lucas leaving. He also mentioned looking for a style of play that fit him. With Dad still in Milwaukee and his Mom in Texas, it will be interesting to see where he ends up. If we can bring in either Ramey or the JUCO PG from Florida, we should be fine.

cyfairslam

Houston, TX
I was really hoping Finke would stay. I enjoyed watching him progress. I was surprised BU did not offer him a 5th year. BU must think he has additional big men coming in. BU has to win by year 4 of his contract and I guess he needs to play and develop the big men he brings in.

Finke was always out of position. He was too slow for a 4 (couldn't defend and couldn't finish at the basket) and didn't have the strength or vertical for a 5. He could shoot though and gave it his all.

To be frank with you, I don't care who recruited them, I care who coached them. From what I saw, Leron truly blossomed under THIS coaching staff, and I doubt Frazier breaks out as much as he did under Groce (who we can all admit had coaching deficiencies in many areas).

If you don't care who recruited them, then don't misrepresent facts that some players (i.e., Frazier) were recruited by BU when they were not. Especially if they were already signed.

Also, if you care about who coached them, and coaching them up, you should really tell us about Mark Smith (relatively high ranked) and Matic too. Rather than hypothetical (IF they were coached by another coach). You do not know how Frazier would have performed under a different coach this year, that is totally hypothetical.

The way that people are acting like the sky is falling is why I'm saying people are acting like Finke and Tejon were world beaters which they weren't.

Again, I do not think anyone is saying or implying this but if they did, why don't you quote directly those posts and reply directly to those?

I'm not trying to disrespect Finke, I've actually hung out with him a couple times and hes a great guy. But if your criteria for being on the Illinois basketball team is to stay out of trouble and be a great academic student then I don't agree with that. My critiques of him are purely from a basketball standpoint. He is a 1-D player who doesn't contribute much in the way of defending, rebounding or anything else you would expect from a big man other than we he is hot and nailing 3's.

You are talking about skills and talent, but then go ahead and criticize them on "culture," which is indeed disrespectful. Especially when some of the key departed players (i.e., Mark Smith) were also BU's recruits whose culture and work ethic were particularly praised by the coach himself (wasn't those attributes of Smith the best BU had seen in his career as an incoming freshman?).

To pick nits, I think Frazier was recruited by Underwood at SFA.

Sure, but recruited means "successfully recruited" in the context of that discussion, otherwise Groce should be given credit for Brunson, Evans, DJax, etc. and Weber for Okafor, Parker and Rose. :)

Sorry to see Finke and Lucas go (especially Lucas), but it isn't the end of the world. They both had skills, but they weren't irreplaceable by a long shot. No one was happy with the way the team played last season. While all the blame shouldn't fall on Smith, Finke and/or Lucas, I didn't see anything during the season to make me believe any of the 3 were linch-pins of future success. I don't know if they were a large part of a culture that needs to change, but it does need to change and we need more talent. I enjoyed seeing all of them play for Illinois, appreciate their effort and commitment, and wish them all future success.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.