Michael Porter Jr. to have back surgery, likely out for rest of season

my favorite part is the fact that this was posted in 2012 a few months before a 2-seed miznoz got knocked out by 15-seed norfolk state. schadenfreude

What a time to be alive!

mwUValk.jpg

Only in Missouri would fans brag about their players sexually assaulting women and being bad students :tsk:

Illini_1979

Oregon
so im the only one that was disappointed to hear this? bought tickets to the bragging rights game last week, was looking forward to taking down a ranked mizzou team with a 2018 NBA lottery lock

"In two minutes, Michael Porter Jr. -- and all hope for Missouri -- was lost"

I did not know how bad off Miznoz is...

"He also told me he yearned to unite a campus divided by racial tension that preempted historic lows for freshman enrollment this year. Hundreds of staffers have been fired as a result of the financial loss from the low enrollment, and unused dorms have become temporary hotels the school now rents to visitors. The University of Missouri needed Porter and everything his signing promised."

But I'm sure he was made the highest paid assistant at UW, despite exactly zero years of NCAA men's basketball coaching experience and given a 3 year, million plus deal less than a year later at Missouri because of his excellent recruiting chops outside his immediate family. Yeah. I'm buying that.

Having family and other connections to elite recruits, whether related or not, is part of the game. Michael Porter Sr. has been involved in basketball pretty much his entire career, not only as a player, but as a long time coach: Missouri assistant in women's program, director of basketball operations, AAU, Upward basketball, U of Washington, etc. It is not that he was working as a truck driver.

Michael Porter Sr.'s (and Jr.'s) connection also helped them with Tilmon. He is very connected with AAU basketball and coaches. Sure it helps that his son was one the best player in college basketball but it is not guaranteed that his other younger sons down the line will be that good.

Again, connections help, you can look at the top assistants (and highest paid ones) and the common attribute is recruiting and connections, often with specific recruits. And so was Chin, and if he was hired at Mizzou or some other rival, his hiring would have been criticized on Illini boards, no doubt about that. Same with Orlando, Kentucky under Cal had been greatly criticized on this board for not developing players but rather recruiting stars on loan before they enter the NBA. Yet, when Orlando is hired at Illinois, we find a new appreciation of how Orlando "developed" all these bigs at UK and prepared them for the NBA.

You need talent... recruiting rules when building a national program. So while I despise Mizzou, I would have welcome Porter Sr. this summer, as much as I welcome Orlando and Chin. :)

Except that isn't true. Outside of Porter's kids, who else would he ostensibly help with? He's got one year of men's basketball coaching experience, so it's not like he has deep AAU ties. He has family ties. That's really it.

I have coached AAU for a long time and Michael Sr. is very well connected, especially with Nike programs. He used to run a travel program in Midwest for a long time and knows the HS coaches, even prior to shoe companies getting more heavily involved with actively sponsoring AAU teams. He is extremely close with Mokan Elite (Nike) AAU program, founders and coaches, and a prominent figure in the EYBL tour. I know he is also good friends with some prominent DC and Mid-Atlantic coaches (one of them not Nike). So don't assume that he is not connected to AAU, because that is definitely not a correct assumption.

I have coached AAU for a long time and Michael Sr. is very well connected, especially with Nike programs. He used to run a travel program in Midwest for a long time and knows the HS coaches, even prior to shoe companies getting more heavily involved with actively sponsoring AAU teams. He is extremely close with Mokan Elite (Nike) AAU program, founders and coaches, and a prominent figure in the EYBL tour. I know he is also good friends with some prominent DC and Mid-Atlantic coaches (one of them not Nike). So don't assume that he is not connected to AAU, because that is definitely not a correct assumption.

PLUS any kid and I mean ANY/ALL kids that are legit 1 and done kids with their parents in this case will have deep routes in AAU...hell everyone wanted them too.:cool:

Nope! Trade it to someone that will, or get the best healthy player. No idea who that would be.

Even if Porter was healthy, I believe Luka Doncic will go No. 1. Most on this board will ask, who??? Luka Doncic is hands down the best pro-player outside the NBA, currently a star in Euroleague for Real Madrid, from Slovenia. Only 18, (a full year younger than Matic) he has been a star in Euroleague for 2 years already, and already won the European Championship this year against many teams with NBA stars.

As a coach, I truly love how Doncic plays. One of the smartest and most fundamentally sound players I have ever seen at that age.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Having family and other connections to elite recruits, whether related or not, is part of the game. Michael Porter Sr. has been involved in basketball pretty much his entire career, not only as a player, but as a long time coach: Missouri assistant in women's program, director of basketball operations, AAU, Upward basketball, U of Washington, etc. It is not that he was working as a truck driver.

Michael Porter Sr.'s (and Jr.'s) connection also helped them with Tilmon. He is very connected with AAU basketball and coaches. Sure it helps that his son was one the best player in college basketball but it is not guaranteed that his other younger sons down the line will be that good.

Again, connections help, you can look at the top assistants (and highest paid ones) and the common attribute is recruiting and connections, often with specific recruits. And so was Chin, and if he was hired at Mizzou or some other rival, his hiring would have been criticized on Illini boards, no doubt about that. Same with Orlando, Kentucky under Cal had been greatly criticized on this board for not developing players but rather recruiting stars on loan before they enter the NBA. Yet, when Orlando is hired at Illinois, we find a new appreciation of how Orlando "developed" all these bigs at UK and prepared them for the NBA.

You need talent... recruiting rules when building a national program. So while I despise Mizzou, I would have welcome Porter Sr. this summer, as much as I welcome Orlando and Chin. :)

Yeah, I know who Porter Sr. is. Do you really believe he gets either the Washington job or the Missouri job he has now without Jr.? I do not.

Not going to bite on the Coleman or Antigua strawmen. Not saying we're above any of this nor that there's anything wrong about it. In fact, I would suggest that Walker was kept on staff for pretty much one reason (and he failed at it.) Imagine it's almost as amusing to Miznoz fans that we wasted whatever salary on him and we got even less than 2 minutes.

Obviously, Missouri is getting more than "2 minutes" but it's hard not to love the karma here.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Even if Porter was healthy, I believe Luka Doncic will go No. 1. Most on this board will ask, who??? Luka Doncic is hands down the best pro-player outside the NBA, currently a star in Euroleague for Real Madrid, from Slovenia. Only 18, (a full year younger than Matic) he has been a star in Euroleague for 2 years already, and already won the European Championship this year against many teams with NBA stars.

As a coach, I truly love how Doncic plays. One of the smartest and most fundamentally sound players I have ever seen at that age.
I appreciate the scouting. I have no idea.

Yeah, I know who Porter Sr. is. Do you really believe he gets either the Washington job or the Missouri job he has now without Jr.? I do not.

Not going to bite on the Coleman or Antigua strawmen. Not saying we're above any of this nor that there's anything wrong about it. In fact, I would suggest that Walker was kept on staff for pretty much one reason (and he failed at it.) Imagine it's almost as amusing to Miznoz fans that we wasted whatever salary on him and we got even less than 2 minutes.

Obviously, Missouri is getting more than "2 minutes" but it's hard not to love the karma here.

Meh... that is really a poor argument. Again, nobody would argue that Porter Sr., or others, do not improve their marketability by having family, or other connections to recruits, but it is really a stretch to make an argument that they have no other connections to AAU and HS recruiting, or that they are unqualified.

Chin is the same. Of course his strong connection with the Dosunmu family (Ayo's dad) improved his marketability, as did his connection to MIF. It is not that Chin took college basketball by storm with his achievements at Bradley or UIC. But he is certainly qualified. Walker is qualified as well IMO.

As I said in previous post, Porter Sr. had been a well known coach in the midwest before Porter Jr.. Very connected to AAU and HS coaches. Romar was Porter Jr.'s godfather, it is not that he became his godfather knowing that Porter Jr. will become the No. 1 recruit 18 years later. Just that Porter Sr. was a player and coach himself with many connections and tight friendships with other coaches and players, prior to his son becoming a household name. And his connections improved by his son becoming one of the best HS players the last few years.

As far as Porter Sr. becoming a coach at Mizzou or Washington or even Illinois, having connections again is just par for the course. I'd honestly take Porter Sr. and his connections over Jay Price, or Travis Ford. Even without his son. Would Pitino Jr. get the Minny job or Louisville assistant job if it was not for his father? Of course not, but he did win B1G coach of the year.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Meh... that is really a poor argument. Again, nobody would argue that Porter Sr., or others, do not improve their marketability by having family, or other connections to recruits, but it is really a stretch to make an argument that they have no other connections to AAU and HS recruiting, or that they are unqualified.

Chin is the same. Of course his strong connection with the Dosunmu family (Ayo's dad) improved his marketability, as did his connection to MIF. It is not that Chin took college basketball by storm with his achievements at Bradley or UIC. But he is certainly qualified. Walker is qualified as well IMO.

As I said in previous post, Porter Sr. had been a well known coach in the midwest before Porter Jr.. Very connected to AAU and HS coaches. Romar was Porter Jr.'s godfather, it is not that he became his godfather knowing that Porter Jr. will become the No. 1 recruit 18 years later. Just that Porter Sr. was a player and coach himself with many connections and tight friendships with other coaches and players, prior to his son becoming a household name. And his connections improved by his son becoming one of the best HS players the last few years.

As far as Porter Sr. becoming a coach at Mizzou or Washington or even Illinois, having connections again is just par for the course. I'd honestly take Porter Sr. and his connections over Jay Price, or Travis Ford. Even without his son. Would Pitino Jr. get the Minny job or Louisville assistant job if it was not for his father? Of course not, but he did win B1G coach of the year.

I think you took my "poor argument" and raised it tenfold. I would take Porter Sr's worn out shoes over Jay Price, Travis Ford, Jamall Walker and John Groce. But I wouldn't hire Porter Sr. without getting one of his kids and so far as I can tell, neither would anyone else in college basketball. Sorry if he's a friend of yours.

But I wouldn't hire Porter Sr. without getting one of his kids and so far as I can tell, neither would anyone else in college basketball.

Again, big meh... your personal opinion matters little and does not represent what coaches in college basketball would or would not do, if this or without that. Bottom line is that the argument that Porter Sr. is unqualified or that he does not have AAU and HS connections outside his son holds little water. There have been many coaches in college basketball that have been hired as assistants, including Illinois, that have been hired as assistants with much less experience and connections (outside his son) than Porter Sr.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Again, big meh... your personal opinion matters little and does not represent what coaches in college basketball would or would not do, if this or without that. Bottom line is that the argument that Porter Sr. is unqualified or that he does not have AAU and HS connections outside his son holds little water. There have been many coaches in college basketball that have been hired as assistants, including Illinois, that have been hired as assistants with much less experience and connections (outside his son) than Porter Sr.

Definitely my personal opinion matters as little as anyone else here. As to what college basketball coaches would or would not do, we can only judge by their actions and it is a fact that no college basketball coach has hired this guy without him delivering at least one of his kids. Not his son's godfather. Certainly not Cuonzo. Heck, not even his own sister-in-law. He may be the most connected, qualified coach in the world, but I don't see any evidence that he gets a college coaching job without bringing a kid to the table.