Michigan 42, Illinois 25 POSTGAME

Deleted member 649710

D
Gave up (close to) 500 yards. Again.
10 penalties. Again.
Trounced on both sides of the LOS. Again.
Poor schemes and execution. Again.

Nothing changes. The Lovie Era can't end soon enough. :cry:

Michigan came out, blew our doors off, then took their foot off the gas and fell asleep for about a quarter. They woke up and salted it away.

I don’t feel any different about this program now than I did before kickoff. It need a reboot.

Gave up (close to) 500 yards. Again.
10 penalties. Again.
Trounced on both sides of the LOS. Again.
Poor schemes and execution. Again.

Nothing changes. The Lovie Era can't end soon enough. :cry:

Yep. It was so depressing to watch that surge to get within 3 - ALMOST feeling that old feeling of excitement and pride and hope that we haven’t felt for years - and to just know in the back of your mind that there’s very little chance we get over that hump. :(

You know that's just crap about Michigan sleepwalking. So, when Illini are bad and they are criticism comes (deserved). But when they make some good plays it's the other teams fault. That's bull you know what
Mich made several mistakes in the 2nd half. We played well for a good chunk of the half, took advantage of those mistakes, then made critical mistakes of our own to hand the game back to them.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Illinois finally did some good things. Robinson has savvy. What could be? Disappointing loss and may not change the fact that it’s time for Lovie to go but for the third qtr, we could be proud.

Have to watch the game back a few times to decide how I really feel but as of now, I’m very conflicted. Part of me feels like we actually made legitimate progress as a program today....AND there’s another part of me that feels we made zero progress as a program with the same old ending coming as a result of the same old issues. Couple days, couple rewatches and I’ll see where I land.

Not the worst idea in the world to keep playing Matt going forward.

I think you got to give Isaiah first string reps. Matt Robinson had a decent game but he is not the answer. If we are already giving up on him, we are done

Michigan almost certainly was trying to preserve the playbook and as much energy as possible for their night game in Happy Valley next weekend.

I’m sorry but there is no evidence to support this claim. I didn’t see anything different from them schematically in that 3rd quarter.

Hyperbole here is so rampant, it’s tough to deal with sometimes.

I think you got to give Isaiah first string reps. Matt Robinson had a decent game but he is not the answer. If we are already giving up on him, we are done

Why is it that because we don’t play a true freshman that clearly doesn’t have his feet under him, suddenly we’ve given up on him?

Maybe, just maybe, sitting and learning is the best thing for him.

Great effort in the the 2nd half. In the past this a blow out. I don’t care about losing at this time to a upper echelon Big Ten Team but atleast fight hard and that 2nd half we did. Robinson made mistakes down the stretch but we played them tough and was competitive we not Rutgers bad

Why is it that because we don’t play a true freshman that clearly doesn’t have his feet under him, suddenly we’ve given up on him?

Maybe, just maybe, sitting and learning is the best thing for him.
You really think the Michigan man or Matt Robinson should be starting at QB next year? I don't.

You really think the Michigan man or Matt Robinson should be starting at QB next year? I don't.

Do you really think throwing Isaiah into the lineup, with no clear plan or reason as to why when he CLEARLY is not ready for the job, will help him grow into our starter next year? I don’t.

I’ve seen dozens of kids ruined by this line of thinking. Don’t put Isaiah into a no-win situation.

And now we celebrate the " mighta, woulda, shoulda" concept. IF games were scored by how many "good" plays a team make, and not by the score...we STILL woulda lost.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
You know that's just crap about Michigan sleepwalking.

Sleepwalking is the wrong term. Sleepwalking implies they didn't come out ready to play.

In the first 27 minutes of that game, it was 28-0 in points, 346-55 in total yards, and 11.2 yards per play to 1.9.

They switched off. Doesn't mean we don't deserve credit for playing with pride, not giving up, and taking advantage of the lazy performance of our opponents, but the way Michigan played from minute 28 to about minute 48 of that game was influenced by where the game was at that point.

If that 20 minute stretch was who we are, we would be easily, comfortably 6-0 right now. If that's who we are going forward, we'll still get to 6 wins.

What's there to say? I'm a diehard Illinois fan that's become apathetic and meh toward my beloved football team. I passed on free tickets with a parking pass, I chose not to watch the game, I checked scores twice online, and never once thought we would have a legit shot at winning this game. Bummed to feel so disappointed in a program I've followed all my life.

Deleted member 645583

D
This program has been so bad for so long. I stilll believe in what Coach Smith is doing.

I don't believe in what Coach Smith is doing as far as Xs and Os are concerned (he and Whitman need to hire a bonafide defensive coordinator).. But I don't want an exodus of talent if Lovie's fired. If I can suffer through this season, I can suffer though the next. I say, give Lovie one more season. And that's iit, period! Full stop.

Last edited by a moderator: