Michigan 42, Illinois 25 POSTGAME

JJE

Bethalto, IL
No, more moral victory bull crap. No, more we showed fight bull crap. No, more who would want this job bull crap. No, more we can't do better bull crap. No, more excuses. I've been an Illinois fan my entire life and I can remember maybe 3 seasons worth of decent to good football. I don't care if we have to fire a coach every year. The school needs to figure out this dumpster fire and quit settling.

illini80

Forgottonia
Didn’t get to see the game. Did we make any adjustments that affected the game? I get that down 28-0 Michigan may have lost focus, but we we doing anything different offense or defense that got us back in the game?

After this game and watching what Minnesota did to Nebraska I still think we have a chance. Let's go Lovie!!!

How many drives of at least 75 yards do we have this year? How many of our touchdowns have been the result of opposition turn-overs?

22 offensive TDs and 2 defensive TDs total. 0 special teams.

8 offensive TDs came from 75+ yard drives.
5 offensive TDs came from turnovers with <40 yards to TD.
1 offensive TD came after punt return with <40 yards to TD.
8 offensive TDs from drives of 40-74 yards.

Akron: The 2nd TD was a 9 play, 75 yard drive. The 3rd TD was set up by a fumble.

UConn: The first TD was an 8 play, 75 yard drive. The 4th TD was an 8 play, 83 yard drive.

EMU: The 2nd TD was a 6 play, 75 yard drive. The 3rd TD was an 11 play 75 yard drive. The 4th TD was a 7 play 93 yard drive.

Neb: The 2nd, 3rd, and 5th TDs were set up by a Neb fumble. The 4th TD was a 6 play 78 yard drive.

Min: no offensive TDs. 2 defensive TDs.

Mich: the 2nd TD was an 15 play, 80 yard drive. The 3rd TD was set up by a Michigan fumble.

Deleted member 654622

D
Have to agree with Twangers. IW just isn’t ready, but that doesn’t mean the Illini have given up on him or that he couldn’t start next year. Maybe get him some time against Rutgers or another poor defense but no reason to burn his redshirt when it seems pretty apparent he is going to need time. Why potentially hurt his confidence or worse get him hurt when he’s just not ready.
I'm just catching up on the thread so if this has been mentioned, feel free to delete
Pretty sure IW got hurt on his last drive. He was jogging off the field after taking that hit from behind and his left arm was dangling, as if he hurt his shoulder or something. Dude needs to add weight, get more practice reps, get some reps vs Rutgers and Purdue, two worse defenses left on the schedule and keep his redshirt. If he has the drive to play QB, he will stick around and learn.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
The rebuild is going to take longer than expected or desired but it's possible it can succeed. I think we've seen flashes of the goal, of what an Illini team can be with the leadership we have in place. BUT we need ballers. We need bigger, stronger, faster. (side note: Zook got us ballers, but as we all saw, it wasn't a rebuild. It was a flash in the pan.) This year: we got a couple recruits and a couple transfers that fit the rebuild needs, but we need more. More time, more ballers. We need ballers that can execute the rebuild plan. IW is not ready. He's a high school kid with talent but this is the Big10. If you don't go to many high school games, you cannot fathom what that jump is like. Beason is out. Roundtree is out. We have no QB, YET. IW is the QB of the rebuild. I think recruiting has been more difficult than the rebuild staff expected. I think coaching has not lived up to expectations and tweaks were needed that were not expected. I think the plan is sound but there have been major hiccups that have slowed the pace of the rebuild. I think Whitman wants to build this program like a skyscraper or an aircraft carrier, not a mobile home where can all move in real quick to a nice looking place that isn't solid and doesn't last. There will be supply-chain issues, cost-overruns, and rainy days where progress isn't apparent. Illinois has been down so long, a rebuild of that type, the type we want, is not going to happen on a typical schedule. But I think it's possible. There's a million moving parts to this. It's going to take more patience than we're used to.

I just don’t believe the absolute of taking a long time to rebuild anymore. Too many examples where it has and is being done at other places. There is turnover in players every single year. It is the nature of college sports. You have a limited amount of time to coach and teach them no matter what. I understand that consistency is a plus but, ultimately we have to have the right people to stay consistent, I just see very little sign that is where we are now with Lovie. I was as optimistic and hopeful as the next guy when he was hired but, the results have been disappointing.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I think we've seen flashes of the goal

Name a game other than Minnesota last year where we've seen flashes of the goal.

side note: Zook got us ballers, but as we all saw, it wasn't a rebuild. It was a flash in the pan.

All of Zook's teams except his first were better than any of Lovie's.

I think Whitman wants to build this program like a skyscraper or an aircraft carrier, not a mobile home where can all move in real quick to a nice looking place that isn't solid and doesn't last.

I think you're exactly right. And I think Whitman is smart enough to realize that a 61 year old coach with one eye on retirement who's only willing to trust himself to coordinate his own defense is not a recipe for sustained success.

I just don’t believe the absolute of taking a long time to rebuild anymore. Too many examples where it has and is being done at other places.

And a total lack of examples where doubling down over and over again on abject failure has eventually produced results.

Deleted member 654622

D
Jeremy Werner@JWerner247
#illini Lovie: "We've been pretty good with penalties."

Illinois is the most penalized team in the Big Ten.

1:09 PM - Oct 12, 2019

See. Lovie just isn't getting the credit that he deserves. The Illini are leading the Big Ten in a category and all people do is complain. :ROFLMAO:
To say we have been pretty good with penalties when we have been complete dog ish erks me so much. I'm not sure if the penalties or Lovie's comments make me more mad

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
People still using "it's about SUSTAINED success, not a quick fix, we want it to LAST" type language about what's going on here are really something.

7 of the 9 assistant coaches from two years ago are gone, including both coordinators.
Our two best players are seniors Lovie didn't recruit (Corbin and Milan) and a number of our other biggest contributors are quick-fix transfers.
We're going to have almost no guys with current experience returning in 2021 from our 2020 team.

Which is not to reject the idea of a long-term, brick-by-brick rebuild from the ground up out of hand. Instead it is to say that is EXACTLY WHAT WE DID HERE, and we now are reaping the fruits of our patience, and the results are pathetic, worse than what we blew up to start this whole process.

I know I'm beating a dead horse with the short side of about a 98-2 split on this question, we basically all get it at this point. But it's extraordinary what a colossal failure this has been, and I feel like it's worth memorializing. Robert at Illiniboard is far better at it than I am, but he's almost too upset to be coherent at this point.

After this game and watching what Minnesota did to Nebraska I still think we have a chance. Let's go Lovie!!!

I’m not sure if this is sarcasm. I hope it’s sarcasm.

We’ve played several beatable teams and haven’t looked great against any of them. I’d say we have one shot left at a win and that’s against Rutgers. They are the only dumpster fire bigger than us in the B1G, but at least they’ve conceded and fired their coach.

I dont consider a W versus Rutgers as a given anymore.....It's at the point where I'm just not shocked anymore.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I’m not sure if this is sarcasm. I hope it’s sarcasm.

We’ve played several beatable teams and haven’t looked great against any of them. I’d say we have one shot left at a win and that’s against Rutgers. They are the only dumpster fire bigger than us in the B1G, but at least they’ve conceded and fired their coach.
Agree completely. Nebraska was clearly overrated going into the season and is not that good. E. Michigan is 3-3 and just got beat yesterday by Ball State I think. Unconn is as bad as everyone thought and we barely sneaked by them. As annoying as Fleck is look where Minnesota is in year two with him. Look how much better they are this year than last. Even the Illini pounded them last year, they pounded us this year.

People still using "it's about SUSTAINED success, not a quick fix, we want it to LAST" type language about what's going on here are really something.
That always seemed like nonsense to me. To point at another team having success and somehow call them fools, while taking pride in our own team's inability to make any real measurable progress.

Yup....bowl games too....Big ten coach of year, Rose bowl and others., players loved the man....kinda miss the guy.

I just don’t believe the absolute of taking a long time to rebuild anymore. Too many examples where it has and is being done at other places. There is turnover in players every single year. It is the nature of college sports. You have a limited amount of time to coach and teach them no matter what. I understand that consistency is a plus but, ultimately we have to have the right people to stay consistent, I just see very little sign that is where we are now with Lovie. I was as optimistic and hopeful as the next guy when he was hired but, the results have been disappointing.
I kind of agree with you, but those coaches that turn it around overnight aren't doing it against Big Ten Teams. I am not saying we are anywhere near where we should be or want to be, but after watching the Big Ten this weekend it becomes obvious this league is grueling when it comes to having a tremendous Wisconsin team, a tremendous Ohio State team, a very good Penn State and Iowa teams, a much improved Minnesota team and a revamped Purdue and Nebraska. With that being said I'm really not even sure how much talent Northwestern, Michigan State and Indiana have. The Big Ten is a meat grinder and a lot of teams would have nightmares playing against many of these teams. I am not excusing the fact we looked horrible against Connecticut, totally choked away the Eastern Michigan and Nebraska games (especially when we went most of the game with a 2 touchdown lead) , but for the last few years Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Iowa have owned us due to superior talent. I do feel we are chipping away at that, but after watching what Wisconsin did to Michigan and what Ohio State did to Nebraska, we just are not in their league, not even close. I wish there was a quick fix hire out there that could eat up this gap, but I really doubt there is. We need to get to the point where we can at least compete with these teams and be able to start beating the Northwestern's, Michigan States, Purdue's, Indiana's, Nebraska's, Minnesota and Maryland's on a consistent basis.

Yup....bowl games too....Big ten coach of year, Rose bowl and others., players loved the man....kinda miss the guy.

Even worse, Bill Cubit’s single interim season is better than anything Lovie has produced as HC here. Think about that. Yes, the Bill Cubit that was fired on day one of Whitman’s tenure had a more successful single season record (as interim HC) than any his successor has managed. If that isn’t damning evidence I don’t know what is.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I kind of agree with you, but those coaches that turn it around overnight aren't doing it against Big Ten Teams. I am not saying we are anywhere near where we should be or want to be, but after watching the Big Ten this weekend it becomes obvious this league is grueling when it comes to having a tremendous Wisconsin team, a tremendous Ohio State team, a very good Penn State and Iowa teams, a much improved Minnesota team and a revamped Purdue and Nebraska. With that being said I'm really not even sure how much talent Northwestern, Michigan State and Indiana have. The Big Ten is a meat grinder and a lot of teams would have nightmares playing against many of these teams. I am not excusing the fact we looked horrible against Connecticut, totally choked away the Eastern Michigan and Nebraska games (especially when we went most of the game with a 2 touchdown lead) , but for the last few years Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Iowa have owned us due to superior talent. I do feel we are chipping away at that, but after watching what Wisconsin did to Michigan and what Ohio State did to Nebraska, we just are not in their league, not even close. I wish there was a quick fix hire out there that could eat up this gap, but I really doubt there is. We need to get to the point where we can at least compete with these teams and be able to start beating the Northwestern's, Michigan States, Purdue's, Indiana's, Nebraska's, Minnesota and Maryland's on a consistent basis.

First of all, for so long as the Big Ten West exists (and I say that because it may not forever, it's so weak there will always be pressure for change), it is absurd to call the schedule we play a meat grinder. Absolutely up is down, 2+2=5 absurd. If Nebraska isn't going to get back to what they were, and that doesn't look promising at this point, we are in the structurally easiest division in the Power Five.

Secondly, you state that this purported "gap" that exists can't possibly be crossed except through years upon years of toil and suffering, and then as reasons for that you call out Minnesota, Purdue, and Nebraska, all schools who fired their previous coaches within the past 3 years!

And thirdly, it's ultimately just a question of what "turn it around", and "fix" and all these terms really mean. If we're talking about winning the West, shooting for Rose Bowls or potential berths in the College Football Playoff, yeah, we're miles away and it would be a real long-term longshot that we could build our way there. In terms of beating bad teams, not humiliating ourselves against good ones, and winning more games than we lose, WE ARE ALREADY THERE. This is a 7-5 roster with an 0-12 staff.

Having been through the end times of dead coaching administrations so many times as an Illinois fan at this point, I've pretty much seen it all. But the way in which the dead-ender arguments in favor of Lovie don't even have an internal logic to them, they don't even appear to be describing the situation we're actually in, is really some through-the-looking-glass stuff.

Don't fall for the 3rd quarter....here's a reminder of the depth of destruction....
The 2011-2019 Big Ten conference standings (the West plus IU, Rutgers and Maryland. (excluding Mich, MSU, Penn St, Ohio State)
We are closer to Rutgers than Indiana or any other West team....

Wisconsin
53​
17​
Iowa
39​
31​
0.557​
Nebraska
39​
32​
0.549​
Northwestern
38​
32​
0.543​
Minnesota
26​
44​
0.371​
Purdue
20​
50​
0.286​
Maryland
13​
40​
0.245​
Indiana
17​
53​
0.243​
Illinois
12​
58​
0.171​
Rutgers
7​
46​
0.132​

But wait! During the Lovie era, WE ARE RUTGERS WEST. That's right! We are winning at the same level Rutgers has since they joined the conference.

Wisconsin
24​
6​
0.800​
Northwestern
20​
10​
0.667​
Iowa
16​
14​
0.533​
Nebraska
14​
17​
0.452​
Minnesota
13​
17​
0.433​
Purdue
11​
19​
0.367​
Indiana
9​
21​
0.300​
Maryland
9​
21​
0.300​
Illinois
4​
26​
0.133​
Rutgers
3​
28​
0.097​

Illinivek23

Gurnee
Pretty stark numbers. And if we remove the Illinois Rutgers games from the analysis? Geez...

7 of the 9 assistant coaches from two years ago are gone said:
It seems there comes a point where changes need to be made and the firing and hiring of assistant coaches has not worked. The 4 and 26 Big Ten record speaks for itself.

Can any argument(s) be made that the 2020 team will be considerably better than this years trainwreck?