Michigan 79, Illinois 69 POSTGAME

Deleted member 643761

D
I remember a few weeks, ago, Underwood mentioned some of the frosh have a problem with keeping track of the ball and their man. This was something the staff was teaching them. I couldn't believe it when i read it. That is such an elementary principle. I gotta wonder what some high school coaches are teaching and/or allowing players to get away with. Don't start bashing me high school coaches that is what Unsderwood, said. He didn't mention high school coaches, though,. My point is some players (not all) come in their freshman year with little knowledge of even basic defensive principles. Astounding!

Presumably, these guys were not going up against Division 1 basketball coaches on the other side.

Keeping track of your man in a high school offense is a lot easier than keeping track of your man in Beilein's offense.

Or, you know, Griffin is a fresan who has, so far, played abysmal defense to the point of outweighing ant offensive contribution he might make. It doesn't matter if you score 12 points a game if your defense is so bad that you give up 7 easy layups.

How would we ever know that as little as he gets to play?

Deleted member 500209

D

How would we ever know that as little as he gets to play?
Players earn time in practice by showing improvement or by doing well in games. Games are not rewards for having potential. Our freshman that aren’t seeing time are getting appropriate pine time, while (hopefully) learning during practice and film sessions. I expect to see improvement from the freshman the same way Richard Keane learned to not do those d@m/! jump passes.

Or, you know, Griffin is a fresan who has, so far, played abysmal defense to the point of outweighing ant offensive contribution he might make. It doesn't matter if you score 12 points a game if your defense is so bad that you give up 7 easy layups.
Had to look up fresan. Appears to be very athletic.

Players earn time in practice by showing improvement or by doing well in games. Games are not rewards for having potential. Our freshman that aren’t seeing time are getting appropriate pine time, while (hopefully) learning during practice and film sessions. I expect to see improvement from the freshman the same way Richard Keane learned to not do those d@m/! jump passes.
Again, how can they do well in games when they are getting three minutes or less. We obviously have some older players who are getting a lot more minutes with very little production. So they must be killing it in practice. What is our practice record anyway as I know what our game record is?

Deleted member 11241

D
Again, how can they do well in games when they are getting three minutes or less. We obviously have some older players who are getting a lot more minutes with very little production. So they must be killing it in practice. What is our practice record anyway as I know what our game record is?

Well, maybe, just maybe those guys are struggling in practice against those older players who are adding very little production. So maybe, coach might think they may not be quite ready for a lot of minutes against top caliber big ten competition if they can't keep up with our guys

Deleted member 500209

D
Sometimes no points, pretty bad defense and some rebounds is better than immediate turnovers and bad defense. I’m not referring to anyone in particular in this post (unfortunately, it vaguely applies to too many of our players). I get that fans want to see the improvement themselves in the games. All things equal, in a year like this, i’d rather see freshman get some PT. However, when they come in and, like clockwork, play defense as if they just got through playing AAU ball and throw the ball to the other team or take ill-advised shots that lead to transition points for the other team, the bench is where they should spend some time until they figure out the college game.

Getting tick worked out in Trent's and Giorgi's favor. Let's extend some of that to Griffin, Jones, and Kane. The season is a lost cause. Let's build for the future.

Getting tick worked out in Trent's and Giorgi's favor. Let's extend some of that to Griffin, Jones, and Kane. The season is a lost cause. Let's build for the future.
Don't agree Spoon.
You don't think it would be better for the team to win say 6 instead of two games. Don't you think more likelihood of returning players if the team is more successful, even if not in the tournament. More positive vibe in the locker room. I would question whether Tev, Griff and Samba would want to play more if it means they might win fewer games.

I would agree if we assumed that playing the freshman more equates to fewer wins.

I am not convinced that is the case.

Deleted member 643761

D
I'm pretty much good with the coach playing the guys he thinks he ought to play.

One point that I don't think is mentioned is how putting guys on the court that can't run the offense well hurts the guys who have picked it up and need to improve.

In the northwestern game, Underwood put griffin in in the second half. On the first defensive possession, he guarded the guy who brought the ball up the floor, who immediately blew by him and got to the basket. Underwood pulled him out. In a winnable game, a Coach cannot leave a guy that is that much of a defensive liability on the floor. It’s easy to say in hindsight that griffin should have played more in that game because we lost anyway. But at the time, we were very much in the game and the coach has to do everything he can to give the team the best chance at winning that game.

Obviously we haven’t had many blowout wins where the freshmen get to play more minutes and learn. Perhaps we’d be better served in the long run with a few more blowout losses where Underwood can play the bench more. But I think it’s ridiculous to expect a coach to play players in winnable games when he thinks doing so will decrease our chance to win those games.

Let's not break our elbows patting ourselves on the back for turning Michigan over 13 times. Tempo matters. It was a TO% of 18.7, which is higher than Michigan's average yes, but also not too far from what Providence or Air Force (17.3/17.7) did to them, and well behind South Carolina (22.4). It was also our worst rate of the year. We didn't excel at turning Michigan over.

And is "gimmick defense" an insult?
I don't care if it is a gimmick, I care if it works.

Currently it is the offensive holding the team back, not the defense.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Let's not break our elbows patting ourselves on the back for turning Michigan over 13 times. Tempo matters. It was a TO% of 18.7, which is higher than Michigan's average yes, but also not too far from what Providence or Air Force (17.3/17.7) did to them, and well behind South Carolina (22.4). It was also our worst rate of the year. We didn't excel at turning Michigan over.

And is "gimmick defense" an insult?
I don't care if it is a gimmick, I care if it works.

Currently it is the offensive holding the team back, not the defense.

It's one and the same. If I recall correctly, this defense is supposed to create offense. It's also the reason some of the freshman that are probably better offensive options are not seeing the floor.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Interesting that you didn't think a 5 point game with 13 minutes left was a game.
Yep. Even when we got close it didn’t feel like we would be able close. It seemed Michigan was able to turn it up when we could make a run.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 11.39.28 AM.png

That hand-off play needs to be buried! Have no idea what it accomplishes. Only seen it produce a couple times all year, once when Kane turned went to rim and dunked against UNLV. I have seen multiple offensive fouls on our guy handing off and turnovers, because of a botched hand-off. Little out of control on offensive end in second half at times. I thought they played hard, though.
This has bothered me all season. It’s a problem to run ANY type of play where the defense knows what you are going to do before you do it.

While the team is suffering some frustrating inconsistency when they have played with a rhythm and flow it is quite enjoyable to watch. I think this team needs to jell. I am in agreement with giving the freshmen more tick, and also agree when Coach pulls them when he sees letdowns. They much learn the habits that will keep them on the floor. Meaning limiting turnovers and playing fundamental defense. I really like this team and what the future holds. Let's see how they finish. I guarantee it will provide glimpses of what greats teams look like. Yes, I said it here. Go Illini!!!

It's one and the same. If I recall correctly, this defense is supposed to create offense. It's also the reason some of the freshman that are probably better offensive options are not seeing the floor.

The offense is supposed to feed off the defense, it is not. But the numbers are the numbers, the defense is statistically significantly better than the offense right now.

Is there a statistic for points per steal? I've gotta think we are near the bottom on that one.

I think this is mostly correct, but right now, the theory isn't happening in practice. Either that, or our offense when we don't get a steal is particularly atrocious. Our defensive efficiency is up noticeably from last year. And while it is 13th in the big ten, we aren't far off the middle of the pack. At least not compared to our offensive efficiency, which is also 13th in the big ten. Problem is, we are not even close to the top 10 teams in the conference.

The defense has improved a bit, and is still forcing lots of turnovers. The offense is just not seeing much of a benefit for whatever reason.