Michigan State 60, Illinois 53 POSTGAME

We Ready
Merced CA
1) We have seen 3 "seasons" this year: Pre-RR injury, "injury" & "post RR/Cosby injury" seasons. Each one has required a "get acquainted period, if you will. The encouraging part is we've gotten a glimpse into the future with our middle season. Our future is bright and encouraging. The problem is how do we maximize performance this year. Things I'd like to see...more pressure earlier. Just switch it off intermittently to keep opponents off guard, Tate needs to go to the hoop more often early to keep defenses a little more honest. Get to the FT line and warm up. This should open up lanes for others.

Bloomington
MSU shot 19% below their season average from 3 point land. If they had hit a few more during the game they would have blown us out.

We really shouldn't be hanging our hats on What If scenarios at home in the stretch run.

And how far below our season average were we? That ball rolls both ways.

A good x and o coach can realize his own players weaknesses and strengths and put them in a position to be productive in some area by design or repetition. i cannot believe we have NE who is nearly 7 foot, athletic and hard working and after 3 years with current staff I don't know how we are trying to use him on offense. I would think we could scheme our offense such that he would be in position to get 6 points per game on offensive rebounds if nothing else. I like our effort but do not understand what we are trying to accomplish on offense most of the time.

Bloomington
A good x and o coach can realize his own players weaknesses and strengths and put them in a position to be productive in some area by design or repetition. i cannot believe we have NE who is nearly 7 foot, athletic and hard working and after 3 years with current staff I don't know how we are trying to use him on offense. I would think we could scheme our offense such that he would be in position to get 6 points per game on offensive rebounds if nothing else. I like our effort but do not understand what we are trying to accomplish on offense most of the time.

Nobody finds him on the pick & roll. There were at least 4 perfect chances to do that last night. The only guy I've ever seen make the pass consistently is Tate, and when he does it Nnanna usually winds up with 8-10 points.

Now part of that probably stems from the first half when he got the ball down low and was instantly stripped, but hey, you can't stop just because it doesnt work the first time.

The Transfer Portal
I would think we could scheme our offense such that he would be in position to get 6 points per game on offensive rebounds if nothing else.

Good God, man, have you ever watched him play? He has hands of stone. If he grabbed every loose ball that bounced in and out of his hands, he'd probably average at least 8 more ppg.

IIRC Tum Tum Nairn took two would-be offensive boards away from him last night.

Nobody finds him on the pick & roll. There were at least 4 perfect chances to do that last night. The only guy I've ever seen make the pass consistently is Tate, and when he does it Nnanna usually winds up with 8-10 points.

Now part of that probably stems from the first half when he got the ball down low and was instantly stripped, but hey, you can't stop just because it doesnt work the first time.

I agree he could be open on some of the pick and rolls but he often is running not rolling to the open spot with a big target. I really want Groce to be successful but it is his staffs responsibility to get players to make the pass/play or change the play.

Good God, man, have you ever watched him play? He has hands of stone. If he grabbed every loose ball that bounced in and out of his hands, he'd probably average at least 8 more ppg.

IIRC Tum Tum Nairn took two would-be offensive boards away from him last night.

I agree with his hands but I would be much happier seeing him lose/miss offensive rebounds he is in position for than having him hunting for defenders to pick (often illegally) without regard to spacing or rolling to the open area making us harder to defend. Some of these things could be taught. IMO

The Transfer Portal
I agree with his hands but I would be much happier seeing him lose/miss offensive rebounds he is in position for than having him hunting for defenders to pick (often illegally) without regard to spacing or rolling to the open area making us harder to defend. Some of these things could be taught. IMO

I feel like I'm piling on Nnanna, which is not my intention, but this season alone he's shown the capacity to both hunt for defenders to pick illegally AND alligator-arm what should be routine offensive rebounds, often in the same possession.

I agree. I think he's almost counter productive with his screens. Since he's no threat to roll to the basket for an easy two, his defender aggressively screens and the ball handler is effectively double teamed. This often leads to having to back out or reset with another wing who runs off another Egwu screen. Meanwhile the clock is winding down and we end up launching a poor percentage shot.

Speaking of Egwu... I though the missed foul call (non-call) in the first half was one of the worst calls I've seen this year. It was not only a foul, it was a quite obvious double foul by 2 MSU players. Nothing to do with us losing the game, but a really bad non-call nevertheless.

I agree. I think he's almost counter productive with his screens. Since he's no threat to roll to the basket for an easy two, his defender aggressively screens and the ball handler is effectively double teamed. This often leads to having to back out or reset with another wing who runs off another Egwu screen. Meanwhile the clock is winding down and we end up launching a poor percentage shot.

Exactly. My real concern is we have been doing the same things for three years of games and presumably practices. Over time players and/or coaches will get familiar with certain sets or circumstances and produce consistent shots/scores even if not how "play" originally designed. I have not witnessed this over the last 3 years. Someone is not paying attention. IMO

New York
Makes you wonder why it has not happened yet though. Because coaches have not identified problem areas so far in his career (doubt it), lack of effort (doubt it), or just certain things are much more difficult to fix this late in someone's career than people think?

So Marcus Jackson wrote about Tate's offseason shot work - http://www.news-gazette.com/chats/2014-10-13/oct-15-basketball-chat.html

Jaylon Tate has added about 10 pounds and told me he feels stronger and the weight is going to help him withstand the punishment of the Big Ten better. He's also worked a great deal on his shot.

So he definitely worked on his shot a lot and didn't see improvement. You may be right that he's just incapable of fixing it, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Bad hands and poor offensive instincts (Egwu) is one thing. Something so mechanical as a jump shot seems much more susceptible to correction. I'm hoping that with another summer of concentrated work on it, we see some improvement. That said, you're right to point out that we haven't gotten much reason to hope.

You may be right that he's just incapable of fixing it, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

I absolutely never said that. What I said is that certain skills are much harder to fix later in someone's career than people think, despite effort.

New York
I absolutely never said that. What I said is that certain skills are much harder to fix later in someone's career than people think, despite effort.

sorry - misread you. Anyway, you may be right to wonder whether he will be able to improve hit shot significantly.

Geneseo, IL
Our offense really needs an effective PG and a post scorer. Hopefully we can land a decent fifth-year transfer at one of those positions this offseason.

Transfers are hardly ever the answer. You gotta recruit'em early.

Last edited:
Champaign
Speaking of Egwu... I though the missed foul call (non-call) in the first half was one of the worst calls I've seen this year. It was not only a foul, it was a quite obvious double foul by 2 MSU players. Nothing to do with us losing the game, but a really bad non-call nevertheless.

Just curious, were you at the game? They don't show replays and there a couple of other calls I wasn't sure about.

On the dunk by Dawson in the first half, he did the screaming, but at the game, it looked to be directed right at the defensive player. Was it taunting?

Haven't seen this mentioned and surprised, how about the no call on Trice on the free throw? Groce was furious! Nothing was said to Trice!

The third was goaltending on illinois in first half. Looked like ball was not above the rim.

Just curious!

Geneseo, IL
Don't tell that to The Mayor, he's had like a dozen transfers since he took over Iowa State in 2010 and he's about to make the dance for the 4th straight year.

Our history with transfers, especially under Groce, isn't very encouraging.

Scottsdale, AZ
Just curious, were you at the game? They don't show replays and there a couple of other calls I wasn't sure about.

On the dunk by Dawson in the first half, he did the screaming, but at the game, it looked to be directed right at the defensive player. Was it taunting?

Haven't seen this mentioned and surprised, how about the no call on Trice on the free throw? Groce was furious! Nothing was said to Trice!

The third was goaltending on illinois in first half. Looked like ball was not above the rim.

Just curious!

1) No, not worthy of a technical foul

2) Because it's not a foul, and neither was the first one

3) It was a very clear goal tend

That said, Big Ten refs are laugh out loud bad. What a joke.

MSU shot 19% below their season average from 3 point land. If they had hit a few more during the game they would have blown us out.

We really shouldn't be hanging our hats on What If scenarios at home in the stretch run.

Your "what if" scenario includes multiple scenarios. But my bigger point was that the last 4 minutes were exciting to watch. And my even bigger point was that our bench is incredibly weak and is a big reason why we have scoring droughts

Looked like the ball was swatted cleanly but after he was hit on the body by one guy and landed on by another. But apparently the ref was only watching the ball

Los Angeles

Makes no difference where the ball is in relation to the rim. It hit the backboard before Kendrick caught a piece of it. Easy call.

1) No, not worthy of a technical foul

2) Because it's not a foul, and neither was the first one

3) It was a very clear goal tend

I was not at the game, but I concur with the above.

On 2, two wrongs don't make a right. On 3, it looked close in live action, but the replay was pretty conclusive that the ball hit the backboard above the rim before Nunn got his hand on the ball.

On Egwu's foul, it looked like a bad non-call in live action and it was confirmed as a tremendously bad non-call during the replay. Egwu was fouled hard by both players.