Michigan State 70, Illinois 69 POSTGAME

Went to the game. Obviously Ayo is the story, but I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

I thought the shots just didn't fall in the first half and we gave up too many bunnies. Biggest disappointment is free throws though. Started 2-7 and two of those misses were front end of 1&1s, so really 2-9. 7 points left on the board in the first half. You can't do that against Michigan State and expect to win. Thought we made up for it in the second half, but those free throws would've made all the difference in the game. Same could've been said for the Maryland game.

Going forward...

First, prayers are with Ayo Dosunmu and his family. The most important thing here is this is about him. His family has shown how supportive of him and his quest for a basketball career They are. I’m hoping for the absolute best outcome no matter the circumstances. As fans, we are lucky to have him as a major part of this program. He will continue to be no matter what.

Second, this team has given us our first real hope in some time. Not only was a return to the tournament a realistic goal, but we played in a game in February for 1st in the conference. These kids are going to be challenged in new ways. Please, the only request I’m going to make is to not turn our backs on this group. This group is responsible for the first hope in a long time and the first step towards bigger things. They are not responsible for the last decade+.

until we get official word on Ayo’s status just hope and pray he’s going to be fine for his sake and no one else’s. Stay with this group no matter the outcome.

Go Illini

Izzo just cleared up in post presser that he was definitely talking about DMW n Tev on them hitting the 3s. What a crybaby arse
Yes, several commenters continually tried to say that Izzo was talking about his own players. It was very clear during the halftime segment that he was dissing two Illinois players Williams and Jones. I'm really not sure where they got the idea that he was talking about two of his own players. Low class to do that by Izzo.

Yes, several commenters continually tried to say that Izzo was talking about his own players. It was very clear during the halftime segment that he was dissing two Illinois players Williams and Jones. I'm really not sure where they got the idea that he was talking about two of his own players. Low class to do that by Izzo.
Can one of you give context as more details? When did Izzo diss players and such?

Can one of you give context as more details? When did Izzo diss players and such?

He said something to the effect of, "and you had two guys on their team make threes that haven't made one in centuries" when being interviewed on the sideline before heading to the locker room. It was an odd thing to say given how much they were up at that point and totally unnecessary (even if there's a grain of truth).

Game lost in first half. Don't understand why we come out and run the passive offense to nowhere. When we get desperate, play fast, go to the hole...we have a chance. MSU pushes after made baskets. We lollygag up the court. Then at the end, we take two hero shots...Trent and Ayo with game in the balance. The stripes did not help us at the end but we lost this game. Hope the best for Ayo. Did not look good.
Trent and Allen....my bad..had Ayo on the brain

"feel like I've had the wind knock out my sails for this team..".
I couldn't have expressed how I feel any better then you summed it up. The up, then the down against Iowa, then the up and down vs Maryland, finally the down, then the sky soaring up last night, followed by the worst down imaginable.

To be fair, these were games that just two weeks ago, we were on the right side of the 50/50 coin.

The way that last 10 seconds went.....I'm still in shock. Don't mind the loss as much as the shadow surrounding it. Still feel queasy.

Possible moisture on the floor couldn't have helped, but my recollection is that Ayo has slipped doing that move before. Hope it's not bad, he's back soon, and it never happens again.

jbmay83

O Fallon
This loss hurts! Ten years ago you could say we're going to be ok, but there are no cupcake games in this league anymore. This big ten season reminds me of the 88-89 season. Most teams have a lot of talent and can beat any other team. Ok, maybe not indiana.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

Well, it was his words then...."we had a couple guys....." and then the TV guys kept talking about MSU's poor shooting and one of their guys that hadn't made a three in several games. The MSU player had been cold from three for a long stretch.

That is what it seemed he was referring to. If he actually clarified it post game....my mistake.

Deleted member 746654

D
I'm going to wait for the full nut punch until we hear further about AYO injury.

Wishing the best for Ayo. He played his !!! off in the 2nd half. He's been a warrior all year. Just hope he can make a speedy recovery.

feeling sick for Ayo. no weight on leg not a good sign. Kofi's only responsibility on last play was to get rebound, not to go for block - it was basically a pass to Tilman. but really proud of the boys for comeback
Actually, Alan was helpside he shouldn’t have tried to come over and block.. kofi and stop were there..

DB11Headband

Chicago Burbs
Actually, Alan was helpside he shouldn’t have tried to come over and block.. kofi and stop were there..
100% accurate. He should've seen Kofi in front of him going for the block, and he should've located Tillman to box out. Obviously much easier said than done and I know AG is aggressive, but him going for the block alongside Kofi is what cost us on that particular play.

Thought maybe a sub par night of sleep would help, but not so much. That game couldn't have ended any worse. I'm tired of getting kicked in the nuts. Can we find the fan that sold his soul to the devil and shred that contract please.

Following up to my own post earlier on this page...

Please, try to understand this is one loss in the programs journey back to relevance. Forget the game.

Also, try not to make this about us right now. The last thing the family is going to want to see is how it’s a blow to us, the fans. Just hope for the best for his and his family’s sake. We are very lucky to have him

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
I couldn’t sleep either, and I am also still sick to my stomach. Last night really puts everything in perspective. I’ve been an Illini fan since 1970, and I’ve watched too many games to count. The ending to that game was one of the top three worst endings I’ve ever seen, along with the ’89 FF loss to Michigan and the ‘05 NC loss to UNC. The fact that the injury was to Ayo, especially after he was the warrior who lead his team back in that situation, is a really cruel act of fate. I hope and pray that it is not as serious as it looked, and that Ayo can fully recover to lead his Illini again.

Kofi let Winston get too deep. I dont care if Tillman takes a open 18 footer. He's not making it in that situation.
Hope Ayo is ok
It is obvious that Kofi was not going to effectively defend Winston. Winston is way to fast for him.

Who did the coach have in the game when the rallies occurred? Who were in the game initially and mostly in the first half?

Case closed.
joe