Michigan State 70, Illinois 69 POSTGAME

A few non-Ayo (still too raw) thoughts:
*Really impressed by the crowd last night. At one point we were still down 16 and some of the cheering rivaled games I’ve been to when we were battling good teams close. It’s almost like the collective unconscious knew we had a chance even in those dire circumstances.

*Kind of surprised Da’Monte wasn’t on the court for the last defensive possession. Given his heroics in the past, I thought he’d be out there to try and get one last stop. Maybe a more sophisticated match-up design than I realize.

*As much as Giorgi had is worst game as an Illini and is in a bad stretch, tt shocked me a little bit to see that his numbers aren’t that far off from last year. His points, FG%, and FT% are down but his A/T ratio is way better and his 3P% is up. About what I would expect for a sophomore having to learn a completely new role. Still sad given how surprising he was last year, but gives some hope that he can recover for the home stretch.

Watching the replay clearly looks like he hit a patch of water or something. Considering what's at stake for these kids, seems there might be some protocol changes to consider wrt/making sure the floor is dry during the game. A single loss to MSU sparking a late season slide out of the tournament is nothing compared to what that young man and his family will face if it's serious.

A few non-Ayo (still too raw) thoughts:
*Really impressed by the crowd last night. At one point we were still down 16 and some of the cheering rivaled games I’ve been to when we were battling good teams close. It’s almost like the collective unconscious knew we had a chance even in those dire circumstances.

*Kind of surprised Da’Monte wasn’t on the court for the last defensive possession. Given his heroics in the past, I thought he’d be out there to try and get one last stop. Maybe a more sophisticated match-up design than I realize.

*As much as Giorgi had is worst game as an Illini and is in a bad stretch, tt shocked me a little bit to see that his numbers aren’t that far off from last year. His points, FG%, and FT% are down but his A/T ratio is way better and his 3P% is up. About what I would expect for a sophomore having to learn a completely new role. Still sad given how surprising he was last year, but gives some hope that he can recover for the home stretch.

Giorgi has fallen to the #75 BIG ranked player per TRank. Last year he finished at #42.

With no time outs, if MSU scored there would be no opportunity to sub for our last offensive possession, and that's how it played out. No idea if that factored into the decision making. Williams was a plus shooter on the night.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
So this is what it's like to be a fan...

I didn't sleep last night because a college basketball player I have never meet in my life got hurt at the end of what was a crazy comeback/heartbreak loss.

My wife looked at me like I was crazy while I tied to explain to her why I was so out of it at breakfast.

This has honestly been one of the more fun seasons I can remember. With previous years' lack of success, and looking to recruiting for hope, I feel I know more about this team, and have an actual connection to the players and knowing who they are, where they have come from, and the family stories that lead them to Illinois. Maybe that's why this stings so much. I just really feel bad for Ayo and the rest of the team and coaching staff.

Hope for the best.

Watching the replay clearly looks like he hit a patch of water or something. Considering what's at stake for these kids, seems there might be some protocol changes to consider wrt/making sure the floor is dry during the game. A single loss to MSU sparking a late season slide out of the tournament is nothing compared to what that young man and his family will face if it's serious.

"A slide outside of the tourney?" That means we'd see an all time collapse. Instead of thinking we lose the next 4, lets go 2-2 and get to 18-10 (10-7). That positions us nicely for the end of season and B1G tournament. I cant imagine this team missing tye tournament. They are too talented and too mentally tough for that to happen.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
The last few minutes seem to all blend together, but I feel like BU broke the huddle really late. MSU was already set up for the inbound by the time we left the huddle. IF the floor wasn't wiped down or something was missed, I wonder if things were rushed because the play was about to start. Not placing blame on anyone, just an observation.

Was at the game, didn’t sleep very well last night. I can’t imagine what Underwood and the team felt like. We will be back, hopefully Ayo can return this year. No matter what we will be a tough out come tourney time.

Deleted member 4960

D
"A slide outside of the tourney?" That means we'd see an all time collapse. Instead of thinking we lose the next 4, lets go 2-2 and get to 18-10 (10-7). That positions us nicely for the end of season and B1G tournament. I cant imagine this team missing tye tournament. They are too talented and too mentally tough for that to happen.
We just lost two home games to a team we should beat earlier in the year and a team that was on a three games slide. Our best player who has carried us through this winning streak is probably done for the year. We have lost three in a row with him. I don’t see this working out well in the end. We are going to end up a six year straight out of the NCAA’s. Our non-conference record is putrid.

We just lost two home games to a team we should beat earlier in the year and a team that was on a three games slide. Our best player who has carried us through this winning streak is probably done for the year. We have lost three in a row with him. I don’t see this working out well in the end. We are going to end up a six year straight out of the NCAA’s. Our non-conference record is putrid.

Cool down that take. We will win against Nebraska, Northwestern, and Indiana, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if we steal 1 or 2 on the road, even without Ayo. We will win at least 1 game in the Big10 tournament. Ayo is clearly a special player and important to the team, but sometimes teams gel even if it doesn't add up on paper. Look for Frazier to get hot and Giorgi to pull his head out of his a**.

Last edited:

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
Article clearly state Izzo was speaking of Jones/Williams and the turn of the century shot making....correction for anyone still misunderstanding this comment. Izzo complains about others and then duplicates the intent...your better than that Coach, be better than that Coach!

I stand very much corrected for my prior insistence that no coach could be that much of a “tool.” I’m surprised he didn’t add “I checked that fact with Bruce Weber, and he agreed.”

haasi

New York
right, we could have put him before Kofi’s second free throw after he tied the game. At that point, we were going to be up 1 or tied and need a defensive stop more than we needed offense. that said, the lineup had been working really well and Griffin (who i presume would have been the one to come out) is a great rebounder and provides offense, so very hard to second guess the substitutions.

if I recall correctly, at some point late in the game I did see Damonte on the sideline jump off the bench to try to get in, but he didn’t end up getting in. Can’t remember when it was exactly.

Relax...All we need is 3 more wins and we are a 10 or 11 seed. Get to 20-22 wins and we are in the 7-9 seed range. There is NO reason to sound the alarm yet.

201154JC

Rockford, IL
On a positive note, what an incredible night at SFC. The comeback was amazing and we are RELEVANT again.
Too bad we didn't have a timeout as Ayo crossed half court with 4.4 left. We were out of them. I was at the game
and have watched the replay over and over in slow motion and there was definitely moisture on the floor.
Very proud of our fight in the second half. I L L .........

I am having flashbacks from 1978 when Steve Lanter was injured against OSU and what happened afterward.
Praying Ayo only has a sprain.

I am having flashbacks from 1978 when Steve Lanter was injured against OSU and what happened afterward.

Yep, I lived through that on campus and this definitely feels like deja vu. BTW, Lanter was in my RHET 105 class and if I remember correctly, the subject of one of the papers he wrote was "How to Dribble a Basketball".

I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't slipped. I think he would have been fouled and not called. SFC would have gone bananas. Boy one shot here or there and we win. But very proud of their fight. Keep it up.

Good analogy..I remember it well...we were on the cover of Sports Illustrated either undefeated or one loss at the time..#2 or #3 in the country. Ended up something like 19-12. Illini memories frequently leave you feeling sad.

Now that I've had some time to dwell on that loss (both losses) its almost absurd how unfortunate it all went down. Incredible comeback, some terrible things going against us & we still overcome it to take the lead. Then any of about 1,000,000 different things happen - a rebound, having a timeout, going to the middle instead of the right side...then Ayo probably avoids what happen. Such a strange sport and to lose him on that last second....devastating

Deleted member 654622

D
if I recall correctly, at some point late in the game I did see Damonte on the sideline jump off the bench to try to get in, but he didn’t end up getting in. Can’t remember when it was exactly.
Correct. I am pretty sure it was while Kofi was shooting his free throws. He sat him back down when Kofi made the second