Mike Phair named Illinois co-defensive coordinator

DL coach under Mel Tucker. Been a part of some good teams, no idea how he translates to the college game.

Was a scout for Seattle so that's a plus.

Selling former DL coach of Seahawks will go a long way with recruits.

Looks like a solid hire.

I also like the hire and would not read too much into him being fired by the Bears. Was probably just the easiest guy to let go, and has no bearing on ability. He has a strong resume otherwise.

Hard to judge. Have to assume he is not going to add much recruiting wise which is disappointing - I guess at this point for Beckman it's more about getting results on field so understand him wanting someone that can 'coach em up'.

He was a college scout, coached at the college level, no reason to think he couldn't contribute to recruiting until he doesn't. It's mostly about effort and being able to communicate with young adults. I think that's something you can work hard to be able to do. How well remains to be seen.

Geneva, IL
Good hire. An NFL DL coach who has worked with some really good players in the NFL. Gerald McCoy, J. Peppers, and don't forget Spence who is on TB. :shield:

Hard to judge. Have to assume he is not going to add much recruiting wise which is disappointing - I guess at this point for Beckman it's more about getting results on field so understand him wanting someone that can 'coach em up'.
What the heck makes you think that?

This makes me think otherwise:

"Prior to joining Chicago, Phair spent six seasons with Seattle, three as a coach (2008-10) and three as an area scout (2005-07), working with the team during its 2005 NFC Championship season.

Before joining the Seahawks, Phair spent three seasons as a college scout for the Buccaneers (2002-04), including working with the team during their Super Bowl XXXVII championship season. Phair also had college coaching experience with Arizona State (1999-2000) and Tiffin University (2001), before joining the NFL.

Phair played collegiately at Arizona State (1990-91), after beginning his career with Mesa Community College (1988-89), where he was an all-conference linebacker."

Phair was a grad assistant at ASU. He has no major college coaching experience. A guy who has bounced around the NFL a few years, not even the lead DL coach at Tampa Bay. And this is the big upgrade???

I'd rather have Colby to be honest. If you can't improve, then might as well benefit from continuity and experience.

Agree with you GHD. It's a gamble that could pay off... or cost TB dearly. The Mizzou hire that almost happened is the one we were all looking for.

from parts unknown
Is it a mocking of the hire or what? I mean it isn't a home run hire but I think we could have done worse.

Exactly, this guy was so horrible that he managed to stay in the NFL for 7-8 years? I just dont buy it, but i guess we will find out soon enough though.

Last edited:
Burr Ridge
the new coach seems fair to me :D

as far as the inside football stuff goes, there are likely plenty of people that like this guy as there are those that don't.
all the matters to us, is how well our DL looks next year, and how well this guy does on the recruiting trail this year.

Hamilton County, IN
They fired the coach of a position group that clearly improved as the year went on because they wanted better recruiting. They then hired a guy who's never recruited.

What was the point? If you think this was the guy they wanted.....

Chicago, IL
Is it a mocking of the hire or what? I mean it isn't a home run hire but I think we could have done worse.
I think his point is that this isn't exactly the guy at the top of your list when looking for a Co-DC, especially with very little (or no) recruiting experience.

Could work out, but definitely not the same level of confidence a guy like Kul would have brought.

They basically traded out for a younger Colby but gave him more responsibility.

Mike Phair Asst coach experience (NFL)
2008 Asst LB coach, Seattle
2009 Asst DL coach, Seattle
2010 Defensive asst, Seattle
2011 DL coach, Chicago
2012 DL coach, Chicago
2013 DL coach, Chicago
2014 Asst DL coach, Tampa Bay

3 years as an NFL position coach, 4 years as an NFL asst position coach, 6 years prior as a scout, some sort of coaching role at Tiffin College for one year, and 2 years as a grad asst at his alma mater.

Burr Ridge
They fired the coach of a position group that clearly improved as the year went on because they wanted better recruiting. They then hired a guy who's never recruited.

yea, I don't think too many folks think this guy was 1, 2a or 2b on the list. but he's ours now.

Did we upgrade recruiting? No evidence of that (zero recruiting experience)

Did we upgrade the DC position? No evidence of that (zero coordinator experience, and not much coaching experience overall).

Why the heck didn't we just keep Colby?!?!?!?!

I didn't say this is the guy they wanted. I guess we will see what happens in the fall.

The point is to bring in a coach to develop players. Better players equals winning more football games. Winning more football games equals more recruits wanting to play for Illinois.