Mike Phair named Illinois co-defensive coordinator

Then keep Colby because he did a great job with last year's DL.
The defense gave up 240 yards on the ground and ranked 115th nationally. I believe it was worse the year before. If that is doing a great job then you need to set your standards higher.

Getting an NFL coach who has worked with the best players should be able to take that knowledge and help college athletes aspiring to get to the next level. He should be able to prepare them and let them know what it takes to be a professional football player.

I think getting an NFL coach is a much safer bet than hiring a high school coach as some were proposing.

Next season is about improving results on the field and increasing wins. If the defense regresses and the team loses more than it wins the university will be looking for a new head coach and staff.

Bloomington
I'm not defending the hire, which is frankly pretty disappointing. I'm just pointing out the fact that you're spinning the narrative to agree with the guy on the board who is most in the know.

You went from...I don't know much about this guy, probably not what we're looking for" to "He's really bad, this is awful, he can hardly coach and surely can't recruit. Why did we drop Colby?!?!?!" the minute qu made a comment.

I most certainly did not flip any narratives. By the end of the season, DL was the strongest unit on the defense.
Not sure we can justify that any part of our defense was strong but I am sure there is more to the story than we are told. The most important factor is his connection to the NFL regardless of coaching skills. He has connections and kids will see that as an advantage to getting to the next level. Every kid who puts on a Division I jersey believes they have a shot at the next level and someone with connections will be appealing. I know that our top recruit this year is focused on being at Illinois for three years. Will that work out? Who knows but he is focused on working his tail off and is looking to compete in 2015 and what stood out the most to him was that fact that there were several lineman in the NFL. Might not look pretty to an old guy behind a keyboard but give him a year to see what the kids think before you throw judgement towards his skills and abilities.

Now the real question is did you select groundhogday because you like the movie or because you knew that you were going to post every other post and people would feel like they were reliving each post? Either way its fitting.

It does appear Ryan Cubit is the other hire - not sure why it has not been announced.

I had been trumpeting Kacsenzski from Nebraska fired staff and Hecklinski from Michigan fired staff - not sure if they got a look or interview - but i do find it strange they have not caught on anywhere else.

The same knee jerk reaction is made by those who always criticize the program or Tim Beckman.

It does appear Ryan Cubit is the other hire - not sure why it has not been announced.

I had been trumpeting Kacsenzski from Nebraska fired staff and Hecklinski from Michigan fired staff - not sure if they got a look or interview - but i do find it strange they have not caught on anywhere else.
If the other position is special teams coach the Ryan Cubit does not seem like a good fit.

I'm not defending the hire, which is frankly pretty disappointing. I'm just pointing out the fact that you're spinning the narrative to agree with the guy on the board who is most in the know.
hahahahahahaha

I do enjoy seeing so many on here with the knee-jerk reflex to defend the program, regardless. The fact that some can defend what is clearly a VERY weak hire provides pretty clear evidence that these folks would literally cheer ANY hire Beckman could make.

I knew that with such a long wait, Beckman was struggling to make this hire. But even with that perspective, this hire is a shock.
"Defend the program" lol. Some fans just like this hire. That is all there is to it. And it is not CLEARLY a weak hire. Nobody here knows that. You clearly have everyone divided into three defined camps - knee jerk defenders, program haters, and yourself - the know it all.

Can't judge the hire at this point, but if Banks gets help with a co D-cor then I am all for it. I am sure the kids respect people with NFL experience, especially anyone who worked with Seattle recently.

Mike Bellamy had never coached in college let alone recruit in college before he was hired. Look how that has turned out. So, let's just wait to cast judgement on Coach Phair until he gets a chance to hit the trail. If he's an energizer bunny in a coaching aspect, what's to say he wouldn't be on the trail too? Welcome to the O & B family Coach Phair!

Hamilton County, IN

Court date.

I was not a fan of White Chocolate Space Egg. Not sure why we went this direction.

Not sure we can justify that any part of our defense was strong but I am sure there is more to the story than we are told. The most important factor is his connection to the NFL regardless of coaching skills. He has connections and kids will see that as an advantage to getting to the next level. Every kid who puts on a Division I jersey believes they have a shot at the next level and someone with connections will be appealing. I know that our top recruit this year is focused on being at Illinois for three years. Will that work out? Who knows but he is focused on working his tail off and is looking to compete in 2015 and what stood out the most to him was that fact that there were several lineman in the NFL. Might not look pretty to an old guy behind a keyboard but give him a year to see what the kids think before you throw judgement towards his skills and abilities.

Now the real question is did you select groundhogday because you like the movie or because you knew that you were going to post every other post and people would feel like they were reliving each post? Either way its fitting.
I'm going with the latter :D :thumb:

Alabama
What the heck makes you think that?

This makes me think otherwise:

"Prior to joining Chicago, Phair spent six seasons with Seattle, three as a coach (2008-10) and three as an area scout (2005-07), working with the team during its 2005 NFC Championship season.

Before joining the Seahawks, Phair spent three seasons as a college scout for the Buccaneers (2002-04), including working with the team during their Super Bowl XXXVII championship season. Phair also had college coaching experience with Arizona State (1999-2000) and Tiffin University (2001), before joining the NFL.

Phair played collegiately at Arizona State (1990-91), after beginning his career with Mesa Community College (1988-89), where he was an all-conference linebacker."

Just because you're a scout doesn't mean you can recruit. Recognizing talent is far different than convincing someone to choose your school over every other one

Baja Ontario
Subjectively, I feel the same. Do you have objective rationale that you are comfortable sharing for your take on the situation?

Wheaton, IL
I like the hire and fans need to give this a chance. I believe it is a attractive for a recruit to possibly play for a coordinator and D line coach who has spent the last decade coaching in the NFL.
At the end of the day, it will work or it won't. But it will be on the football program and not the fans . We have our own lives and families to take care of, hopefully.

Plainfield
I would agree there is nothing on paper to trumpet this as a great hire (unlike the Missouri coach's resume). Nevertheless I don't think anyone here can fairly judge how good a recruiter and coach he will be. Have to wait and see.

Just because you're a scout doesn't mean you can recruit. Recognizing talent is far different than convincing someone to choose your school over every other one
Doesn't mean you can't either. Look...Colby was known as a poor recruiter. You have to assume that this hire will upgrade recruiting to some degree. In terms of coaching ability, we have no idea if it's an upgrade or not. I'll say this, based on our defensive numbers last year, I don't think it's out of line to assume Phair will improve those numbers. Can't get much worse.

In my opinion, Colby had a ceiling due to his lack of recruiting. I think it's safe to assume that Phair's ceiling is much higher and he has the potential to have a much greater impact on the program. People are acting like we fired Vic Koenning and hired a Mallory.

Regardless of who the previous coach was/wasn't, this is a curious hire. A guy who hasn't recruited or coordinated to this role? He might turn out to be great, no one knows at this point. But not impressive on paper--which is all we have to go by at the moment. On paper it looks like the hire of a coach that couldn't get a known commodity in either category due to his own rep or job security.

Doesn't mean you can't either. Look...Colby was known as a poor recruiter. You have to assume that this hire will upgrade recruiting to some degree. In terms of coaching ability, we have no idea if it's an upgrade or not. I'll say this, based on our defensive numbers last year, I don't think it's out of line to assume Phair will improve those numbers. Can't get much worse.

In my opinion, Colby had a ceiling due to his lack of recruiting. I think it's safe to assume that Phair's ceiling is much higher and he has the potential to have a much greater impact on the program. People are acting like we fired Vic Koenning and hired a Mallory.

Regardless of who the previous coach was/wasn't, this is a curious hire. A guy who hasn't recruited or coordinated to this role? He might turn out to be great, no one knows at this point. But not impressive on paper--which is all we have to go by at the moment. On paper it looks like the hire of a coach that couldn't get a known commodity in either category due to his own rep or job security.
I agree with your assessment, but I think we HAVE to take the previous coach into consideration. People are questioning this hire, and rightfully so, but I think they are drastically overvaluing Colby's ability as a D-Line coach. The goal is to upgrade recruiting AND coaching...we know Colby was poor at one of the two. To your point, I don't think this hire is a "home run" hire on paper, but we're replacing a coach with known limitations. Let's allow the guy to assert his influence before overreacting about his experience. I just don't think it's THAT BAD of a hire based on the circumstances that Beckman finds himself in (no extension and potential for dismissal after this year).