Mike Phair named Illinois co-defensive coordinator

I'm deferring to Beckman's judgement on this hire. Beckman had plenty of time to fully vet Phair prior to offering the job to him. Obviously Phair was able to sell himself during this process. If you don't like his credentials, ok! We'll know soon enough if he can coach and contribute to the success of the program. If Phair fails or does a poor job the entire program will suffer to the point that it could ultimately be replaced.

Northbrook
I'm deferring to Beckman's judgement on this hire. Beckman had plenty of time to fully vet Phair prior to offering the job to him. Obviously Phair was able to sell himself during this process. If you don't like his credentials, ok! We'll know soon enough if he can coach and contribute to the success of the program. If Phair fails or does a poor job the entire program will suffer to the point that it could ultimately be replaced.
Exactly. They have a year to prove themselves in my opinion.

Did he mention lasagna and use the word "football" an inordinate number of times?
Yes - something like people who have never played football, who don't understand much about the game of football, whose body looks like a football from eating too much lasagna, should leave the decisions related to my football program to me.

Then he also made a reference to Illinois beating NW with a bowl game in the balance - without multiple starters on both lines which were thought to be the weakest link on the team without any depth in part due to what was inherited from the previous coaching staff, among a number of others in our depth chart that missed the game due to injuries - and somehow we beat NW yet he wondered why Fitzy is so show seen as a decent coach, especially after losing to an apparent terrible program led by him.

hastings Nebraska
After listening to him in his interview I m curious to see him in action I think we got a firecracker in him get some mean in our DL anyone under marinelli I will give a shot.

Decatur, IL
Solid interview. Like he said, its his first day. It will be good to hear what he has to say after he has gotten a little time in with the guys.

I wouldn't say he was "dropping names" being as the reporter asked him who his coaching mentors were.

Oops didn't see Jacob's post beat me to the punch.

On the difference from coaching NFLers to college boys: "I don't know if there is one, it's just ball." I like this guy already!
They asked Mike White that question back when he was at Illinois. He said there was a huge difference. In college you have to go over something 3 times before they get it. In the pros you tell them once and they are able to do it, if not you find someone that is. Also remember a talk by a NFL OL coach and he was asked about what technique he liked to teach. I'll never forget his answer. He said his technique was to tell the guy "You block him over there". LOL. We'll see who is right.

Hmmm I wonder in what position he will be utilized in. Would be kind of odd to take a graduate assistant on as a full time special teams coach. Giving him some sort of higher assistant duties would be cool though. I'm always a fan of bringing in former Illini, and am willing to give the kid a shot even if it is as special teams coordinator. Only thing I found odd was that we poached him from Kansas of all places.