Mike Phair named Illinois co-defensive coordinator

Alabama
Hmmm I wonder in what position he will be utilized in. Would be kind of odd to take a graduate assistant on as a full time special teams coach. Giving him some sort of higher assistant duties would be cool though. I'm always a fan of bringing in former Illini, and am willing to give the kid a shot even if it is as special teams coordinator. Only thing I found odd was that we poached him from Kansas of all places.
Maybe Lil' Cubit moving up to the offensive opening and Mitchell taking his spot?

Burr Ridge
Maybe Lil' Cubit moving up to the offensive opening and Mitchell taking his spot?
that would be my guess

Mitchell has some things to learn before he is given a full time paid spot of the coaching staff

If true, maybe waiting for "the dust to settle"?

According to court records, Ryan Cubit will be sentenced (for his dui guilty plea) on February 27, 2015.

Alabama
If true, maybe waiting for "the dust to settle"?

According to court records, Ryan Cubit will be sentenced (for his dui guilty plea) on February 27, 2015.
No idea, but that would be my guess. If they were close to hiring someone else, seems like they would have waited and introduced them along with Phair at the same time. Again, just a guess.

Alabama
To me, this tweet by Jeremy makes it sound like Cubit's about to be slid into the last spot. I could be misreading things though:

Jeremy Werner ‏@WernerESPNCU 5m

Expect last #illini football assistant to be clear by this weekend. It will be on the offensive side with some shuffling in duties.

Tyngsborough, MA
If the Cubit story is true, then it appears that Beckman is trying to get himself fired, and he's doing a bang-up job.

Isn't the recruiting coordinator position more of a "keep track of guys" type of job! IOW, plenty of paper work, details to track?

Perhaps, if true, this move will free up Golesch for even more actual recruiting. Some act like he will no longer recruit :confused:

Another thought to consider, maybe Golesch is requesting this move. Perhaps he wants to focus on coaching in order to build his career, and not be pigeon holed as simply a good to great recruiter and not as good to great coach AND recruiter.

Why the heck would Golesh be moved off of Recruiting Coordinator? It just doesn't make any football sense...

Why the heck would Golesh be moved off of Recruiting Coordinator? It just doesn't make any football sense...
Do you understand what the recruiting coordinator does? He doesn't just recruit. He organizes everything. If this is true Ryan has been in a "recruiting role" already and knows what is going on. There isn't really a learning period needed here. Ryan I assume knows the offense pretty well, knows the current guys and already knows the guys we are recruiting.

If this does turn out to be true, it isn't like Golesh can't recruit. The recruiting coordinator doesn't get to do more visits or anything. If anything it frees Golesh of some paperwork. Let's relax if this is true.

Do you understand what the recruiting coordinator does? He doesn't just recruit. He organizes everything. If this is true Ryan has been in a "recruiting role" already and knows what is going on. There isn't really a learning period needed here. Ryan I assume knows the offense pretty well, knows the current guys and already knows the guys we are recruiting.

If this does turn out to be true, it isn't like Golesh can't recruit. The recruiting coordinator doesn't get to do more visits or anything. If anything it frees Golesh of some paperwork. Let's relax if this is true.
I understand that it does not affect Golesh's recruiting ability in the slightest. However, I believe that having the position is a status symbol of sorts and his reward for doing so well recruiting wise. As a resume builder it looks nice even though he'll be evaulated more on what recruits he's brought in than his title. It just seems weird that it is being given up to Cubit's son, I feel like Golesh would want to hold onto that title and I don't see him giving it up easily but we'll see.

I understand that it does not affect Golesh's recruiting ability in the slightest. However, I believe that having the position is a status symbol of sorts and his reward for doing so well recruiting wise. As a resume builder it looks nice even though he'll be evaulated more on what recruits he's brought in than his title. It just seems weird that it is being given up to Cubit's son, I feel like Golesh would want to hold onto that title and I don't see him giving it up easily but we'll see.
People in the industry are already well aware of Golesh's recruiting ability regardless of the coordinator title.

It sounds like he should be given Special Teams coordinator title as well. That looks good for a resume too. If he has recruiting coordinator, RB coach, TE coach, and Special teams.

I don't know if this will be perfect or even work, but it gets old that everyone else acts like they know that this is going to destroy the program. Just let it play out. I mean we don't even know if this is going to happen and people are all mad.

It sounds like he should be given Special Teams coordinator title as well. That looks good for a resume too. If he has recruiting coordinator, RB coach, TE coach, and Special teams.

I don't know if this will be perfect or even work, but it gets old that everyone else acts like they know that this is going to destroy the program. Just let it play out. I mean we don't even know if this is going to happen and people are all mad.
Personally, I don't like it for the same reason I don't like signing a 2 star recruit over a 3 star recruit, even if that 2 star recruit might well outperform the 3 star.

At this point you are correct, though, we should just let it play out.

Des Moines, Iowa
I think it's fair to ask why. Under this regime they just had their best recruiting class.

Why was there never a public announcement re: discipline for Ryan Cubit?
Was Cubit disciplined?
Has any reporter even asked?

It is almost unheard of not to be suspended w/o pay, miss games, be placed on administrative leave and even be demoted or fired. See Pinkel, Eric Mathies, Vavae Tata, Huggins, etc.

I think it is fair to ask why Ryan Cubit was promoted/rewarded after a dui guilty plea less than 2 weeks ago?

Imo, a whiff of nepotism.

So they buried the announcement in Loren Tate's column ? That shows how embarrassed they are about this hire.

I thought they would at least send out a press release on Selection Sunday when nobody is paying any attention to football.

hastings Nebraska
My lord talk about getting your panties in a bunch , this situation should work out or it won't. Maybe golesh will be out recruiting more rather than sitting in the office. People make mistakes