Mike Phair named Illinois co-defensive coordinator

Bloomington
Why was there never a public announcement re: discipline for Ryan Cubit?
Was Cubit disciplined?
Has any reporter even asked?

It is almost unheard of not to be suspended w/o pay, miss games, be placed on administrative leave and even be demoted or fired. See Pinkel, Eric Mathies, Vavae Tata, Huggins, etc.

I think it is fair to ask why Ryan Cubit was promoted/rewarded after a dui guilty plea less than 2 weeks ago?

Imo, a whiff of nepotism.

Hahahahaha. A WHIFF?! Not that this is the end of the world, but this is ALL nepotism.

People in the industry are already well aware of Golesh's recruiting ability regardless of the coordinator title.
It sounds like he should be given Special Teams coordinator title as well. That looks good for a resume too. If he has recruiting coordinator, RB coach, TE coach, and Special teams.

I don't know if this will be perfect or even work, but it gets old that everyone else acts like they know that this is going to destroy the program. Just let it play out. I mean we don't even know if this is going to happen and people are all mad.
MastFan1 I know that's true and I mentioned that in my comment, it only seemed weird to me that Cubit's kid is going to get it without having proven he is an effective recruiter when there are plenty on the staff more deserving. I know it has no effect on their recruiting ability, I just didn't think he'd be getting it what with his recent issues and the pure lack of a reason for him to deserve it.

Warriors1994 hopefully he does get the special teams title though it sounded to me like Beckman would be taking the reigns there and Golesh would be helping him, please correct me if I understood that wrong. But I'm not one that thinks this is really a big deal and it definitely won't hurt the program in any way. It just is a little bit of a head scratcher and a huge dose of neoptism from my perspective, though I will wait to see how he does before passing judgement since none of us know how he will do until at least a year from now.

Des Moines, Iowa
Maybe he is doing it more out of his past role. I took this from the bio on fightingillini.com
"As director of football student-athlete development, Cubit will oversee all on-campus activities of student-athletes in the Illinois football program. He will manage and coordinate all on-campus admissions for incoming freshmen and transfers, perform preliminary transcript evaluations for those prospective student-athletes and manage all official and unofficial visits for football recruits. He will serve as football admissions coordinator and work closely with the associate athletic director for academics in that pursuit, and also will work closely with compliance staff regarding the recruitability of prospective student-athletes."

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032814aaa.html

If he could get this position at another B1G school I have no problem with him getting the position.

Chicago, IL
Why the heck would Golesh be moved off of Recruiting Coordinator? It just doesn't make any football sense...
To free him up to coach and recruit and not manage all the day-to-day of being the guy who has to organize it all. Same reason you don't want your best shooting guard playing point guard.

Burr Ridge
You can just about be assured Golesh wanted the RC title given to someone else. You get promoted up the college ladder by a combination of position coaching experience AND recruiting .

You need to be good at both in order to become an OC or DC . I think it's obvious that is what he is trying to become next , and he needs to build up his X's & O's abilities .

Doesn't mean he won't be deeply involved in recruiting , but just not all the day to day minutia

Chicago
To free him up to coach and recruit and not manage all the day-to-day of being the guy who has to organize it all. Same reason you don't want your best shooting guard playing point guard.
Finally.

Thank you voice of reason.

Was waiting for this - thanks for being a voice of reason.