Minnesota 40, Illinois 17 POSTGAME

Deleted member 652751

D
I said start (incentive), did not say complete it. So, who cares?
Relax Francis. It was a joke in reference to the story earlier this week or last about the sculptor of Butkus's statue who asked Dick what face he wanted on the statue.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
The entire POINT of Whitman - a point I vehemently maintain still stands - is that he’s a breath of fresh air to a stale, lifeless DIA.

I’m 100% confident he’ll fire Lovie (it’s not if you lose sometimes ... it’s HOW you lose), and I’m cautiously optimistic it’ll be before the last game of the season concludes.

For this university, this is unacceptable. :/

Totally agree. Except he may need to wait until the end of the season for economic reasons. The numbers aren't prohibitively bad, but waiting would definitely help to attract someone worthwhile.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Almost doubled up in total yardage and blown out in a game where a young, mediocre Minnesota came out flat, were prevented by the weather from doing what they do best, and where just about everything went right for us. Off a bye week.

Not many places to hide after a performance like that. Wisconsin will pick their score against our defense, in front of the big money donors, on homecoming, and it's hard to see how that won't be the end.

Totally agree. Except he may need to wait until the end of the season for economic reasons. The numbers aren't prohibitively bad, but waiting would definitely help to attract someone worthwhile.

If it’s anything like Rutgers the payout is still the same. The rest of this seasons pay plus the buyout, which happens now or November anyway.

@illini0440 so how likely is a mid season firing?

im not sure you can mid season fire him. At a minimum idk who would coach the defense (not that it’s particularly great but usually (always?) there is a DC still in place)? Also, who you gonna turn it over to? Rod Smith? His offense has been garbage this year.

We could probably put 10 in the box and give up 500 rushing or drop 10 in coverage and give up 500 passing.

Not sure it's scheme...our safety play has been atrocious all year....there are about 4 guys on defense that would play on a top half team...on offense, we have no qb..if you have no qb, you have no offense. But we are certainly not winning the coaching either...so we start over again... I don't see any other choice

I started the week thinking if Illinois can't stay within 14 points of Minnesota then all is lost for this year.

I ended the week confirming that this is going to be a brutal stretch for this team to win one more game let alone cover 14 points vs Minny or any one else.

Most of you guys should have got with the times after the Uconn game, South Florida just wiped them out 48-22. Uconn is still extraordinarily bad, and after only clipping them by one touchdown I knew that this team was absurdly bad as well. (1 big win max bad) We lost the best player from our best position group last year in Nick Allegretti, and we lost our position coach for Offensive line as well. Top that with no longer having a running threat at QB, and now our one redeeming feature from last year's team is gone. The Marginal at best improvements on defense don't even come close to making up for those losses.

Last edited:

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
im not sure you can mid season fire him. At a minimum idk who would coach the defense (not that it’s particularly great but usually (always?) there is a DC still in place)? Also, who you gonna turn it over to? Rod Smith? His offense has been garbage this year.

Oh, the DC wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure Miles could step in and handle it. In fact, my dog could probably handle it just as well.

I have been an Illini fan since Pete Elliot and Harry Combes days and I have a lot of patience for a bad coach. That is gone as it relates to Lovie and his relations and the rest of the group. Let's start over again. Please.

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
And for those who called for Robinson to start at QB it sure looked to me like you might want to rethink that one.

The really sad thing is that this season's schedule is ridiculously easy, and we are still looking at 3 wins.

Eastern Michigan just got destroyed by Central Michigan. Nebraska needed a last-second field goal to escape Northwestern in Lincoln. Purdue is bad. Northwestern is not good.

The only thing ensuring a chance at even three wins is a horrible Rutgers team.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
I'm not really much of a college football fan (insert your own joke here) and only watched a little of the game, but what I did see it sure didn't seem that Peters was very good. Is it him, the offensive scheme or the lack of talent around him???