Minnesota 40, Illinois 17 POSTGAME

I tend to agree.

Is the injury that had him out today the same one he's been dealing with all season?

I’m not sure it could of. We hired a guy with no college experience in the last 20+ years who had been fired at his last two stops. He was a “name” with thought might pull recruits but he hadn’t been on that trail in forever. Nobody else was actively pursuing him and we hired him when basically all other coaches were settled into spots. None of it was ideal. I had reservations from the start, and they were all unfortunately pretty spot on.

I have been beyond patient and even excited for this season (see my very orange tinted glasses predictions), but this has to stop. Insert he’s-dead-already.gif, but here we are the Charlie Browns to Lucy’s holding abilities.
Our hope, as this whole thing started, comes down to Whitman.The sooner we tear off this bandaid the better.
As for the game? At least our defense scored some points. That’s always fun to see. Other than that, no need to kill the Krusty Burglar again.

Time to turn the page. We’ve been on this one for far too long. I’m officially checked out, and I have to believe that the rest of Illini nation is as well. Until there are significant coaching changes, nothing will change.

I agree. Yet feel like this is the truth about every 3-4 years with the football program. I never every thought things would become this dire. I always thought that some coach, at some point could make the team competitive again. Now I'm not sure. I fear that we have become a laughingstock place where coaches only go to seal their own fate. We aren't even a stepping stone job because this is where careers end.

Firing mid season is always a mistake. No outside coaches are available until at least after the regular season ends, and the rest after bowl season. So who do you annoint as acting head coach if you do? The only one conceivable is Rod, but he has enough on his plate. If you reimagine the Minnesota game where Smalling actually makes all three of those catches that hit him right in the hands, we matriculate down the field and score. All in all, our best offensive players are the two receivers from USC, our tight end, and our punter. We have one stud on defense, Milo.

Firing mid season is always a mistake. No outside coaches are available until at least after the regular season ends, and the rest after bowl season. So who do you annoint as acting head coach if you do? The only one conceivable is Rod, but he has enough on his plate. If you reimagine the Minnesota game where Smalling actually makes all three of those catches that hit him right in the hands, we matriculate down the field and score. All in all, our best offensive players are the two receivers from USC, our tight end, and our punter. We have one stud on defense, Milo.

Hire Hank Stram III

Not sure it's scheme...our safety play has been atrocious all year....there are about 4 guys on defense that would play on a top half team...on offense, we have no qb..if you have no qb, you have no offense. But we are certainly not winning the coaching either...so we start over again... I don't see any other choice

Is it the the coaching or the recruiting? It seems to be that the players we have on the field are not as strong, quick, or fast as the teams we play. Would this team have had a better record with a different head coach? If ha coach has not put a competitive team on the field in 4 years, is a 5th year, like to make any difference?

"Dark Days are Upon Us, Beware the Dementors."

Beware the Dimentors.jpg

Is it the the coaching or the recruiting? It seems to be that the players we have on the field are not as strong, quick, or fast as the teams we play. Would this team have had a better record with a different head coach? If ha coach has not put a competitive team on the field in 4 years, is a 5th year, like to make any difference?

It’s both. Along with inability to put together a competent staff. Lovie has failed on all three accounts.

breadman

Herndon, VA
As many of you have stated, I am also pretty much speechless as to how to describe this game. This should have been a win along with the EMU and Nebby games.
So, having said that, I am going to say that Lovie will be here next year. There are too many kids sitting on the sidelines today that will help for next year, a decent incoming class, and Lovie's first year recruits will be seniors. For continuity's sake, Lovie will still be here next year.

Oskeefan

Virginia Beach, VA
As many of you have stated, I am also pretty much speechless as to how to describe this game. This should have been a win along with the EMU and Nebby games.
So, having said that, I am going to say that Lovie will be here next year. There are too many kids sitting on the sidelines today that will help for next year, a decent incoming class, and Lovie's first year recruits will be seniors. For continuity's sake, Lovie will still be here next year.
That's what I'm afraid of, Whitman hinted at this before the Neb. game.

lstewart53x3

Scottsdale, Arizona

If we finish this season only winning 1 more game (Rutgers), there’s no way Lovie’s back next year.

If we finish the season winning 2 more games, I’d say there’s a 50-50 chance he’s back.

3 more games & he’s most likely back.

4 more & he’s 100% back.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
The nature of this Stockholm Syndrome fantasy about there being any plausible life in the Lovie era related to what we're seeing is just a total mystery to me.

Sure, the world is uncertain, we could still make a bowl game and look like a real competitor to Wisky and Michigan and the other good teams on our schedule. Sure.

But the idea that we're just going to continue on as we are, sleepwalk to 4-8, and then bring Lovie back because reasons, it's this really toxic brew of shame and self-hatred and contrarianism and I don't know what else.

Let's be clear here. The way we're playing, we'll beat Rutgers, have something like a coin flip against Purdue and maybe a 40/60 chance at Northwestern. And be soundly, uncompetitively beaten against Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Iowa. Averages out to 4-8, could easily be 3-9 or 5-7. Settle in right around 90 in the advanced stat rankings.

If Lovie is retained after that, we'll have come full circle. That's Not Ideal 2.0, a dagger in the heart of the program and a betrayal of the faith of this fanbase in equal measure with the one that gave us Lovie in the first place. Period, end of story.

breadman

Herndon, VA
The nature of this Stockholm Syndrome fantasy about there being any plausible life in the Lovie era related to what we're seeing is just a total mystery to me.

Sure, the world is uncertain, we could still make a bowl game and look like a real competitor to Wisky and Michigan and the other good teams on our schedule. Sure.

But the idea that we're just going to continue on as we are, sleepwalk to 4-8, and then bring Lovie back because reasons, it's this really toxic brew of shame and self-hatred and contrarianism and I don't know what else.

Let's be clear here. The way we're playing, we'll beat Rutgers, have something like a coin flip against Purdue and maybe a 40/60 chance at Northwestern. And be soundly, uncompetitively beaten against Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Iowa. Averages out to 4-8, could easily be 3-9 or 5-7. Settle in right around 90 in the advanced stat rankings.

If Lovie is retained after that, we'll have come full circle. That's Not Ideal 2.0, a dagger in the heart of the program and a betrayal of the faith of this fanbase in equal measure with the one that gave us Lovie in the first place. Period, end of story.

CG,
Hear you loud and clear. I have so many growing doubts about this team I don't know what to think anymore. We will all just have to see what the future holds for this team as the season plays out and then see what decisions are made after the season.

For continuity sake, we will continue to suck under Lovie as well. There is zero upward trajectory with this team.

A big reason I want the mid-season firing is the fear that Lovie Mr-Magoo's his way into a couple of wins allowing the ****show to continue for another year.

Can you imagine how embarrassing the crowds would be next year? That alone makes me want a coaching change. It’s already hard to see how empty the stands are, and those that show up for the games are troopers considering how awful the team has been overall for the past 2+ decades.

Verified Insider said:
I assume this is Isaiah Williams' dad? If you look at the comments, a relative of Calvin Avery said the same thing.

Not a good look.
That’s Khalan Tolson’s father.

Very well stated.

Lovie is essentially dead to the sympathy vote. He has to walk in to Josh’s office, sell it that missing additions like Marquez Beason and Luke Ford were detrimental and beyond his control and hope he buys it. And if he buys it, frankly, Lovie is the least of our issues.

Was nice to see Devon Witherspoon draw the start yesterday, Quan needs a mental break (Though he still played 40+ snaps). I think it’s also time we consider getting Richie Petitbon out of the lineup and Verdis Brown in it. Richie has not played well at any point this season, we need to see what Verdis can do.

On another note, we essentially made zero in-roads with Luke Petitbon. Highly disappointing.

Was nice to see Devon Witherspoon draw the start yesterday, Quan needs a mental break (Though he still played 40+ snaps). I think it’s also time we consider getting Richie Petitbon out of the lineup and Verdis Brown in it. Richie has not played well at any point this season, we need to see what Verdis can do.

On another note, we essentially made zero in-roads with Luke Petitbon. Highly disappointing.
Devon Witherspoon is gonna be special. He and Marquez is gonna be something to watch.