Minnesota 41, Illinois 14 Postgame

TMC999

Not Iowa
So painful to watch. And it’s getting to the point of “who in their right mind would give this program a shot?” (That we’d like).

Utah State just fired Gary Anderson after an 0-3 start. Why can’t we get rid of Lovie now. It can’t get any worse.

Lovie helped us recover from a bad few years and I am thankful for his commitment to the program. Littyville is phenomenal, but...and a big BUT...we are not showing progress. We need new leadership and I would imagine that even Lovie knows this. Been a tough year with COVID, but you can’t fail to show up like this. Not good.
What? We went 11-13 the last two years before Lovie. After this year he will be 15-42 in 5 years. You call that a recovery?

I wasn’t able to catch the game, but weren’t we missing a ton of key players due to COVID? I would probably attribute this game being so ugly to that more than anything.

illini80

Forgottonia
I wasn’t able to catch the game, but weren’t we missing a ton of key players due to COVID? I would probably attribute this game being so ugly to that more than anything.
QB is the only position that could have made a major impact imo. We had a ton of bad penalties and missed tackles from starters.

illini80

Forgottonia
Has he been asked/ answered why he chose to decline the PI penalty yet?
If you are asking about the play I saw, the pass was originally called complete and the penalty was declined. The catch was overruled and the penalty then took effect.

It's going to be so hard to rebuild this train wreck
No it is not. Look how quick IU rebuilt under the right coach. They were basically the same as we were, bottom of the conference. Rutgers was about the Same. Maryland had a scandal just a couple years back and look at them. The right coach will get us on the right track.

No it is not. Look how quick IU rebuilt under the right coach. They were basically the same as we were, bottom of the conference. Rutgers was about the Same. Maryland had a scandal just a couple years back and look at them. The right coach will get us on the right track.
All of those schools have passing as part of their playcalling. We keep starting games trying to establish the run and sometimes, don't even pass when we are far behind. I have always disliked former defensive coordinators as head coaches because of this. The tendency with some (not all) , is to run the ball to keep the score low and to get lucky at the end. Even Nick Saban had that philosophy at MSU and LSU. It took him going to the NFL before he got much freer with the passing game.

QB is the only position that could have made a major impact imo. We had a ton of bad penalties and missed tackles from starters.
We are out of position,
Week in and week out, teams have figured out Lovie’s D. Week in and week out, we make zero adjustments. We are out of position or take bad angles to the ball. Week in and week out, we have either a late hit or a targeting ejection. We rarely get called for PI because we are no where near the receiver when he catches the ball. Poor tackling when we do get close to the ball carrier. That is on Lovie. Now we have the offense. We have no rhythm. The line gets beat, our blocking schemes are chaotic and not effective. You have a roll out QB and they try to make him a drop back. Bottom line, it is coaching. Unprepared week in and week out. Undisciplined week in and week out. I feel for the players who have to go through this. We are worse than the Beckman years because we have talent and waste the talent. We are better than this with the talent we have. You could put any coaching staff from the top 25 and from the start of training camp, we would be much more competitive with a win or two. Yesterday, I saw Fitz at NU come out of his shoes on a PI call on his team late in the game. Where is that from Lovie? No fire, no emotion at all. Players feed off the emotion of the coaches. Lovie knows he is done. He should go to JW and resign. I thought this hire was really good but what I am seeing here, is worse than the Gary Moeller hire. I never thought it could get worse than that. But here we are.

If you are asking about the play I saw, the pass was originally called complete and the penalty was declined. The catch was overruled and the penalty then took effect.
If it would have been a completion, it would have been short of the line to gain, so why decline the penalty and automatic first down?

I don't doubt these players... but I truly believe they have been placed in a very flawed system... and on a weekly basis, don't have a solid plan of attack.

I praise Lovie for his elevation (not to anything elite, but still elevation) of our recruiting. 2's became 3's. Some 3's became 4's. (In recruiting).

But once here, we need teachers, motivators, solid strategists and game planners... and then game managers.

If Lovie can oversee this? Great.

If he insists on BEING those things himself, or insisting on continuing to trust the staff he assembled... ie... changing nothing? Then he has to be relieved of his post, so that we can get someone in who can take advantage of our upperclassman driven team next year (with the eligibility reprieve).

this year will be the lowest pressure recruitment ever (as no one will run out of eligibility).
Sadly this may be the most right time to move on... (least impact on recruiting).
Beckman ( not defending him at all ) didn’t always recruit with any balance but at the end of the day I bet he gets more NFLers then Lovie

We are out of position,

Week in and week out, teams have figured out Lovie’s D. Week in and week out, we make zero adjustments. We are out of position or take bad angles to the ball. Week in and week out, we have either a late hit or a targeting ejection. We rarely get called for PI because we are no where near the receiver when he catches the ball. Poor tackling when we do get close to the ball carrier. That is on Lovie. Now we have the offense. We have no rhythm. The line gets beat, our blocking schemes are chaotic and not effective. You have a roll out QB and they try to make him a drop back. Bottom line, it is coaching. Unprepared week in and week out. Undisciplined week in and week out. I feel for the players who have to go through this. We are worse than the Beckman years because we have talent and waste the talent. We are better than this with the talent we have. You could put any coaching staff from the top 25 and from the start of training camp, we would be much more competitive with a win or two. Yesterday, I saw Fitz at NU come out of his shoes on a PI call on his team late in the game. Where is that from Lovie? No fire, no emotion at all. Players feed off the emotion of the coaches. Lovie knows he is done. He should go to JW and resign. I thought this hire was really good but what I am seeing here, is worse than the Gary Moeller hire. I never thought it could get worse than that. But here we are.
Not even close to as bad as Moeller was. He took a .500 level team (that had the talent to be much better) with most of the players coming back and completely destroyed it That team (under Blackman) had been ranked in the Top 10 earlier in the season.

illini80

Forgottonia
If it would have been a completion, it would have been short of the line to gain, so why decline the penalty and automatic first down?
You may well be right. I already deleted it so I can’t go back and check (and don’t want to), but my impression from the announcers was it was a 1st down catch. Obviously it makes no sense to decline a 1st down.

Yes, I think we were taking a 4th and 3 over a first down.
OK, thanks. I was thinking 4th and 3, but I thought that can't be right and that my memory must be off. If some of the shenanigans like this and the penalties occurred under Beckman, he'd be getting skewered for it.

Every team is battling COVID. He knew his roster for Saturday a week prior, yet the team was entirely unprepared for this game. 41-14 and it wasn’t that close. We can make excuses for every one of his 37 losses in his last 51 games. I was thrilled when he was hired and if I was the parent of a high school player I would love to send him to Lovie to mold him. I did not expect Lovie to outcoach anyone at the college ranks, but the one thing I expected when he was hired was that we would recruit a higher caliber player. I was told, “Can’t guarantee we’ll get the recruits but Lovie gets you in the living room for a meeting.” Maybe that happened, I don’t know, but we’re not closing on many 4 star recruits and those that are coming are seemingly relegated to the bench.

Yes, but had he accepted it originally, we would have had a first down. By declining it, we get the ball at the same spot, but now it is 4th down. He was saved by the review or this screw up would have been front and center from the media. The short version is the staff doesn’t even know the damn rules 5 years into his tenure.

Last edited:
Bateman ran free in the first half. He wasn’t touched until he reached 10 yds. Play after play. I kept saying cover him .