Minnesota 86, Illinois 75 POSTGAME

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
We allowed 12 more pts in the second half than the first. Any theories on why? Half time changes? Fatigue? We didn't have great shooting but the defense was the difference and why I am not convinced on X's and O's.
We consistently get outscored in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half in our losses and this game was no exception, Minnesota outscoring us 25-14 in that stretch, vs 24-22 in the last 10 minutes of the game. We essentially played Minny to a draw outside of that 10 minute stretch.

I don't know if it's bad halftime adjustments, lack of motivation coming out of the locker room, or what, but it's definitely a trend.

I'm not a statistician, so there are probably better ways of presenting this information, but here's our season broken down by 10 minute segments so far.

1548967993647.png

Attachments

• 1548967845961.png
    1548967845961.png
    74 KB · Views: 395
Ben Simmons (not a true Point Guard), Markelle Fultz, Derrick White, Wade Baldwin (lost in first round), and Dejounte Murray. Over the past 2 years.

I was agreeing with the fact that it is really important to perform at a high level in the NCAA tourney.
I see this now my bad. I agree that performance is very helpful. My point was that there were far less better examples of players who didn’t make the tournament. Markelle and Ben were super high recruits and picks. As for Murray and White. Spurs always draft those kind of players, ayo’s Defense wouldn’t fit that scheme yet

We consistently get outscored in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half in our losses and this game was no exception, Minnesota outscoring us 25-14 in that stretch, vs 24-22 in the last 10 minutes of the game. We essentially played Minny to a draw outside of that 10 minute stretch.

I don't know if it's bad halftime adjustments, lack of motivation coming out of the locker room, or what, but it's definitely a trend.

I'm not a statistician, so there are probably better ways of presenting this information, but here's our season broken down by 10 minute segments so far.

View attachment 4080
Really good look. Thanks for putting this together, interesting. I have been monitoring team point totals for 10 minute increments. I use a target of 20 points every 10 minutes (actually the average of the losses). If defense gives up less, chance to win or at least stay in the game. 2nd half against Minny saw bad defense and bad offense, leading to the game getting away, obviously. If only one was bad, could have stayed in the game and hoped for success in the next quarter

Someone posted a clip of one of the Minny players grabbing a handful of blue jersey and pulling its occupant away from a rebound. I don't see how the ref could have missed it. Humans don't quite vector like that without the addition of force.

And Giorgi was getting beat up really bad. I don't think I've ever seen him with that utter look of frustration.

Glad to see Trent back. He was helped by Minny turning their attention elsewhere. Apparently their scouting reports included the "bad Trent." Fortunately for us, the "good Trent" is back.

This team, among themselves, have to decide where they want to be. And play accordingly. After all these games we ALL have access to the same stats. The coaches have done their part. Up to the players.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Wouldn't mind seeing a rubber match w/ Minny in the B10 tournament...still think we can beat them on a neutral court

This team, among themselves, have to decide where they want to be. And play accordingly. After all these games we ALL have access to the same stats. The coaches have done their part. Up to the players.
Some of the parts are just getting into the rotation, most are in the 1st-2nd yr, we're learning to win, and I like the direction we're headed. Just think, this young core can pass it forward to the next class, hopefully finishing strong, and yes Fletch will be important with Kofi, I bet he's been working on a plan for a while.

Last edited:

illini80

Forgottonia
Someone posted a clip of one of the Minny players grabbing a handful of blue jersey and pulling its occupant away from a rebound. I don't see how the ref could have missed it. Humans don't quite vector like that without the addition of force.

And Giorgi was getting beat up really bad. I don't think I've ever seen him with that utter look of frustration.

Glad to see Trent back. He was helped by Minny turning their attention elsewhere. Apparently their scouting reports included the "bad Trent." Fortunately for us, the "good Trent" is back.
If it was late in the game, that was TJ that got yanked. Someone else, maybe Giorgi got hosed on the same play.

Samba should of been redshirted. Agree/Disagree.

That's a tough one. Samba isn't ready yet, and would have been better off red-shirting. However, going into the season, we had an injured 5th year transfer in Adonis, and a true freshman for center. How do you know what's going to be best? Not sure what the limit is, but I vaguely recall it being something like 8 games. Maybe it's less though.

Anyone know what the staff advised him to do? I seem to recall it being the player's choice, ultimately.

Fletch will be important with Kofi, I bet he's been working on a plan for a while.

Really? I think Kofi is already developed. They'll probably just skip him in the rotation, or point to him and say, THIS IS WHAT YOU ALL NEED TO GET TO!!!

Really? I think Kofi is already developed. They'll probably just skip him in the rotation, or point to him and say, THIS IS WHAT YOU ALL NEED TO GET TO!!!
I meant more of the leaning and conditioning kind on Kofi, he's going to have to run more with this offense.

Think this will be less of a problem with Kofi and Antwan. Neither will be easy to manhandle and the combination of them with Giorgi and Samba next year will be a huge problem for other teams.

Great comments by all. Although, scanning the comments I don't believe anyone mentioned the one dribble from half court break away score by Tevian. Ummmm. I'm still smiling from that.

Great comments by all. Although, scanning the comments I don't believe anyone mentioned the one dribble from half court break away score by Tevian. Ummmm. I'm still smiling from that.
It was noted in the BTN broadcast.

illini80

Forgottonia
That's a tough one. Samba isn't ready yet, and would have been better off red-shirting. However, going into the season, we had an injured 5th year transfer in Adonis, and a true freshman for center. How do you know what's going to be best? Not sure what the limit is, but I vaguely recall it being something like 8 games. Maybe it's less though.

Anyone know what the staff advised him to do? I seem to recall it being the player's choice, ultimately.
Unless there I thought this was only the case for medical RS. I don't think there is any time allowed for a straight RS. Someone will correct me if that's not right.

edit: 20% of games is the max for medical RS.