Minnesota 86, Illinois 75 POSTGAME

Dan

Admin

:illinois:

Last edited:
Girogi and Ayo looked lost tonight. Sure wish Nichols would come around. We really do need him. I don’t now why he just can’t hustle. Just trots up the floor. :(

Deleted member 9739

D
Outshot, outrebounded and outassisted. We also continued our pattern of fouling more than the other team.

Hard to win when you do that.

wILL-INI

Charlotte, NC
Im not even that upset by that loss cause I think Minnesota is good. Like really really good. Size, shooting, length, athleticism, they should be a top 10 team. And if there were anyone beside lil Pit sitting on that stool in Minnesota, I think they would be.

H@lluva defensive effort. Too many easy lay-ups and dunks. No reason for Kane not to be playing more. in the back up role. I would have liked to seen Griffin play a little more , too. He seems to be getting more comfortable on the floor.

Minny shoots 58.5% from 2 point and we foul 23 times, both back in school record range.

Not giving up on this team, we Stunk in the 2nd half. Not in foul trouble, Ayo and GB had sub par games, GB seemed frustrated, even though the high low game was going early, Tev got 10 but not enough from others. Their Bigs hurt us, growing pains? I know this Hurts!

Deleted member 31586

D
Before we jump on another 2nd half fold. We never quit, very tough game due to revenge factor. Jones is really a player, we sort of lost Georgi in the 2nd half. Good thing is Ayo looked very average. We may have something with having him with TF, TJ, GB, KC, AF, AG, DW and your on to something

Nice game plan by Minny. They really keyed on Ayo, taking away a lot of the two man game with Giorgi. Their guys went to the basket a lot without a lot of resistance.

Really came down to loose balls. Got our hands on a ton of them but secured almost none.

But this offense looks so much better right now. Not talking about simply making or missing shots. Even against Wisconsin the offense looked a lot better. We get a lot of the looks we want. There is a good flow to it.

Tev Jones shot looked absolutely horrid tonight, but he affected the game in other ways. Good sign of maturity.

I wish the refs would give Giorgi some calls down low. Seems like every time he gets the ball the opponent mauls him.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Need more shooters - another game where Trent goes off and Ayo disappears ... :-( games like this however lead me to believe he’ll stay in college 1 more season :)

Before we jump on another 2nd half fold. We never quit, very tough game due to revenge factor. Jones is really a player, we sort of lost Georgi in the 2nd half. Good thing is Ayo looked very average. We may have something with having him with TF, TJ, GB, KC, AF, AG, DW and your on to something

Interesting observation....

"Good thing" is Ayo looked very average...'

They took advantage of AJ’s lack of size underneath, and once we started collapsing, they made 3s. Need Kofi.

Mentioned the kenpom luck rank in the pregame thread, what worse luck than Frazier finally getting his flow back when everyone else had relatively off nights? I like this team’s chances going forward as well, in critical time refs definitely favored them. All that combined, can’t win with those factors though.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
DaMonte and AJ go 1/10... Giorgi started strong - not sure if they denied him, we went away from him?

Deleted member 31586

D
Interesting observation....

"Good thing" is Ayo looked very average...'
Well you know why I said that. Ayo is a potential pro after this year. If (I am being very selfish here) we can have him for one more year. I really think we could be good and tremendously fun to watch next year

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Minny got 0 threes in 1H and 6 in 2H ... they were Iowa hot after we went up 47-42

Really came down to loose balls. Got our hands on a ton of them but secured almost none.

But this offense looks so much better right now. Not talking about simply making or missing shots. Even against Wisconsin the offense looked a lot better. We get a lot of the looks we want. There is a good flow to it.

Tev Jones shot looked absolutely horrid tonight, but he affected the game in other ways. Good sign of maturity.

I wish the refs would give Giorgi some calls down low. Seems like every time he gets the ball the opponent mauls him.
We've got more tools in the box on offense, agree on GB, seems like he was frustrated.

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
H@lluva defensive effort. Too many easy lay-ups and dunks. No reason for Kane not to be playing more. in the back up role. I would have liked to seen Griffin play a little more , too. He seems to be getting more comfortable on the floor.

Absolutely agree. They both need five minutes every game.