Missouri 63, Illinois 56 POSTGAME

Re: minutes at the wing

Obviously, Damonte is flawed on offense and that position is our biggest weakness in the lineup.

I see Alan as AJ 2.0. He’s a bit bigger and more athletic, but I think he’s similar in the sense that his motor and talent are enough to be a force against lesser teams right now, but he’s not too effective against high majors yet. I have high hopes for his upperclassmen years, and would have no problem with him taking minutes from Damonte for that reason. But he won’t dramatically impact W’s and L’s this year.

As for Tevian, I don’t get the love. Seems like the same mentality on here that always assumes the incoming four-star will immediately start and improve the team. I see Tev as being Joe Bertrand’s game with Darius Paul’s sensibility. The Maryland game last year was the one Big Ten game I missed, so maybe that’s why I’m not on board.
That being said that is better than we are getting from DW. Let's try something different. DW couldn't put up the numbers TJ did against Maryland if he played them 20 times. He did manage to throw away an inbounds pass against them that could have sewed up the game though. I guess you see the love there.

Holtman

Miller

Underwood

While I agree with the order, IU fans have not been happy with Archie who’s 2nd season was every bit a disaster as ours last year. This year is certainly looking better, although I think the verdict is still out on just how good Indiana is (beat a good Florida State team but got pummeled by a mediocre Wisconsin team). Again, not arguing the order isn’t correct but the disparity between Archie and Underwood isn’t quite that large IMO.

I am simply dumbfounded that Underwood has no answer when opponents take Frazier and/or Kofi out of the offense and dare yoiu to beat them from the perimeter.....which is what any good coach will do....and which Mizzou planned to do and did. I guess he must have massive confidence in the weave which where quickness is negated by switching. Wish I knew what the thinking is for this coaching squad. That said. if Illini make free throws and layups they likely win. Horrible shooting game but Tigers defensive effort was admirable.
Frazier didn't try at all... barely took a shot...

This team has no true point guard,can’t shoot threes. The only guy that can shoot them gets very few opportunities
He did not want to play obviously... how many shots did he even dare to attempt... he wasn't playing defense and wasn't scoring... idk what Trent problem was... smh

Deleted member 336259

D
Screenshot_20191224-025341_Twitter.jpg

Deleted member 336259

D
Just curious how everyone takes this? I know we are pretty rabid but should a player be focusing on what we say? One of the Women's BB players commented that "Someone had to say it."

Just curious how everyone takes this? I know we are pretty rabid but should a player be focusing on what we say? One of the Women's BB players commented that "Someone had to say it."

I’m not on Twitter, so don’t know the ins and outs about how easy it is to “unfollow” or tweeting at players, but it seems to me that if someone is tweeting at someone else they want them reading it. And is 4 word response “focusing on.”

I have to say I’m in Brandon Wildman and Trent’s corner on this one. I try to stay fairly positive on here, and for that reason I normally don’t post on here after a loss. And some of the things posted on here I find over the top and just want to respond “get a life..” And I have to assume that it is far worse on Twitter. Too much vile behavior seems to be deemed OK because someone is a rabid fan. If a player is coming on to this forum and engaging with negative posters, I would say that is too much for a player as really is engaging with negative tweets, but to think a player doesn’t see negative things tweeted at him or about him is silly. As an Illini fan I’m much more concerned with being lumped in with “fans” that spew negative cr&p and as far as I’m concerned embarrass Illini Nation than I am about a player throwing 4 words of support to someone who comments on the over the top negativity and more of these so called fans.

Now get off my lawn.

Last edited:

Such is the nature of social media

After a win the posts are heavily positively valenced and after a loss they are heavily negatively valenced.

One rarely calls for the coach to be fired, or makes fun of the coach after a victory

The total number of posts also seems to increase after a loss ( 370 posts after Maryland loss, 270 posts after Michigan win)

Twitter and Reddit tend to be more vitriolic.

More frustration when teams have not experienced success over a long period of time

I rarely visit other team boards, but I am reasonably sure this one is not any more 'rapid: than others.

Social media is what it is, it's never going to be a "safe zone."

Message boards like this are fair game for negativity. If players, coaches, or parents choose to read these boards - they get what they get.

Anything negative that is directly aimed towards amateur players is unacceptable.

I would say the same for anything negative directed to other teams’ players as well - but could possibly be ok from student-aged fans if it’s trash talk in good fun.

This really is our fans in a nutshell. Schizophrenic. Overreactions mid game. Final Four after a win, fire the coach after a loss. Of course these kids follow Twitter. We have adults stalking them, literally hourly during their recruitment.

People are really going to fault them when we have people tracking where the university plane is going at specified times in hopes to decode recruiting? When people analyze each word of a 17 year olds tweet or get worried because our name is last on a picture they posted?

We'd all be sick of it, as I'm sure their parents are, as well as their coaches, friends and loved ones.

A message board analysis of a game...that's understandable. Going to a players Twitter account to vent at them is not only creepy, but just wrong.

We have a player that's agreeing with those comments. That's a real bad look.

This really is our fans in a nutshell. Schizophrenic. Overreactions mid game. Final Four after a win, fire the coach after a loss. Of course these kids follow Twitter. We have adults stalking them, literally hourly during their recruitment.

People are really going to fault them when we have people tracking where the university plane is going at specified times in hopes to decode recruiting? When people analyze each word of a 17 year olds tweet or get worried because our name is last on a picture they posted?

We'd all be sick of it, as I'm sure their parents are, as well as their coaches, friends and loved ones.

A message board analysis of a game...that's understandable. Going to a players Twitter account to vent at them is not only creepy, but just wrong.

We have a player that's agreeing with those comments. That's a real bad look.

We are not anywhere near the worst fan base as far as this stuff goes, you guys all need to get out more. Hint-Peruse random SEC message boards during football season.

People on this board have been saying the perceived notion of M Smith being mistreated has affected recruiting in St Louis area. In the same context, don't all the negative posts about our present posters would give recruits a bad sign? Give the coach his contract time to try to turn it around and give the players our full support.

He did not want to play obviously... how many shots did he even dare to attempt... he wasn't playing defense and wasn't scoring... idk what Trent problem was... smh
Trent was a very big part of the offense as a freshman and has taken a backseat to others the last 2 years. To his credit, he has concentrated on his overall game to help the team. He doesn’t force shots. He really needs to get more looks. There’s only one ball. They need to figure this out.

Deleted member 645583

D
You bring on Kofi, Ayo - and Trent seems forgotten.. I remember posting some time ago that T was the heart and soul or something like that of the Illini. And now he's a bit player. Wrongo. Let him lead this team.

I wish for nothing but success for Illini teams, coaches, fans this Christmas (holiday) season. Let's turn this basketball season around and ... Illini beat Cal! Football win will raise our spirits.

So much losing over the years. Bah! Humbug!

I don't need no national champions - just programs we can be proud of very soon at the latest.

God bless all of yous. Happy 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't read twitter and the like, so i have no clue. Any coach or player who reads fan boards is asking for a bad day. That's their problem. It wouldn't be part of my daily agenda were i in their position. I see very few personal attacks if any on this board. Some of the other fan sites are, wow. Saying a player doesn't shoot well, play D, play tough, pass, etc. is an observation of a players performance. Same thing with coaches. Comments on an offense or defense a coach runs, use of time-outs,, game decisions, etc. are free for fans to discuss. These type comments are not personal attacks. That's what folks do on message boards. If you don't like it don't read it.

Trent was a very big part of the offense as a freshman and has taken a backseat to others the last 2 years. To his credit, he has concentrated on his overall game to help the team. He doesn’t force shots. He really needs to get more looks. There’s only one ball. They need to figure this out.
First step for Trent is to be ready and let it rip when he gets the chance. There were times, especially in the bad stretch to start the second half, where he wasn’t ready or willing to shoot. (Rest of the team was in the same boat so I’m not necessarily picking on Trent.)

He’s gotta pull it when he gets the chance. On Saturday I wish we would have seen more of Griffin even though he couldn’t throw it in the ocean. Someone has to step up and take the shots. That guy should be Trent, at least as far as the perimeter game goes.

Soulberries

University of Illinois
Cuonzo's team out hustled our team and they looked more confident. We were so slow to the ball.

Unfortunately, I’ve noticed that in a lot of games. Not ready to give up on this team yet. But that has got to change.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Just realized Ayo May never know the sweet joy of winning a Bragging Rights game. (If he leaves after this year obviously)

And Mark Smith has never lost a Bragging Rights game. We need to change that for his senior year.