Missouri 63, Illinois 56 POSTGAME

j
In games won by 1 or 2 points, we have had 8 of those games in the Underwood era. Our record? 1-7. That says a lot.

You won't see me knock on Underwood. We got rid of Weber, where did we go from there? However, one's record in close games says a lot about the coach. Bummed to read this.

I have been a big BU supporter, but it is time he starts taking some of the responsibility. If you have basically 3 guards on the floor, how can you not press occasionally. Griffin needs to start and play just as many minutes as Ayo and Trent. He maybe could be the secondary outside shooter this team really needs. Both DaMonte and Andres are one dimensional players and need to come off the bench.

I have been a big BU supporter, but it is time he starts taking some of the responsibility. If you have basically 3 guards on the floor, how can you not press occasionally. Griffin needs to start and play just as many minutes as Ayo and Trent. He maybe could be the secondary outside shooter this team really needs. Both DaMonte and Andres are one dimensional players and need to come off the bench.
Griffin, maybe could be a another shooter. Thus far he's 2 for 12 from 3 against the "power" teams. If he rebounds like he did against MO and plays as hard then yeah, give a few more minutes. He played 18 min. or so against, MO. Andres, had a bad game, not an assist guy but will get some rebounds and score.

Suppose UW does what is best for the team? What specific changes would need to be made????
Ill try a couple...
1. Teach Ayo how to kick out to Trent or AG.
2 ..practice fast breaks and apply when opposing team half court defense is "mucking it up" and refs are letting them play
3. Have Kofi practice contested layups
4. Have set play for Ayo/dre to drive and kick out to giorgi for open 2 or clean pass to Kofi down low ....worked once beautifully against mizzou. Probably could have done it over and over

5. Set a goal for giorgi to get 5 assists to Kofi per game

If you have basically 3 guards on the floor

Or 7-8 positionless players (Ayo/Trent/Williams/Griffin/Jones/Feliz/Nichols/Underwood) pretty much 2/3 of the team, and more next year? Why not pressure ALL inferior, guard oriented teams?

Ill try a couple...
1. Teach Ayo how to kick out to Trent or AG.
2 ..practice fast breaks and apply when opposing team half court defense is "mucking it up" and refs are letting them play
3. Have Kofi practice contested layups
4. Have set play for Ayo/dre to drive and kick out to giorgi for open 2 or clean pass to Kofi down low ....worked once beautifully against mizzou. Probably could have done it over and over

5. Set a goal for giorgi to get 5 assists to Kofi per game
I, and probably a handful of other posters on here have had opportunities to watch the team practice. The thing is these are the things that do get stressed at practice. Brad has mentioned a few times that the guards need to move the ball around more. They show it in practice, and in games when they’re comfortably ahead of weaker opponents.
The guards, especially Ayo and Dre; often act like they forget everything they learn in practice and just play hero ball.
At first I thought maybe because they’re selfish, but I’m starting to think they don’t have the confidence or ability to see passes or spread the ball around.

A Miami alum i know told me the scouting report said that Ayo and Dre kick the ball out on drives 12% of the time. Now I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it did show that Miami defenders collapsed hard whenever they drove,completely disregarding outlet guys. I particularly remember Dre and Ayo’s drives at the end of each half showing Miami went all in on when they drove the ball. I also noticed that in the mizzou game, especially with Dre.
If I were to grade our guards unbiasedly, they would get a B in scoring, C in ball handling, and D- in Passing.
Many fans and writers were excited in our back court this year, but I think they’ve been exposed against Zona, Miami, and Mizzou. The weave was introduced to force more ball movement, but it ends up in a last second desperation shot.
I really want these guys to figure things out, but I’m starting to thing this guard trio is too one dimensional to make a dynamic offense.

To add to the above statement, i’ve heard people complain that the wings aren’t doing enough. I’m sure the wings could do more if the guards would break down the defense to set up the wings to score.

j

You won't see me knock on Underwood. We got rid of Weber, where did we go from there? However, one's record in close games says a lot about the coach. Bummed to read this.
It also says a lot about your guards. Late in games, it's the guard play that's paramount. This year, our guards have been less than stellar, especially late in games. Against Missouri, 4 assists and 17 turnovers. Ayo 0 assists and 4 turnovers.

That's where the issues lie. The PG is supposed to be the extension of the coach on the floor. They don't take care of the ball, they don't post feed well, the shooting from the field is atrocious and free throw shooting late in games in sketchy....at best.

Ken

chitown
That's where the issues lie. The PG is supposed to be the extension of the coach on the floor. They don't take care of the ball, they don't post feed well, the shooting from the field is atrocious and free throw shooting late in games in sketchy....at best.

but none of them are point guards they are all natural scorers trying to run the offense.

To add to the above statement, i’ve heard people complain that the wings aren’t doing enough. I’m sure the wings could do more if the guards would break down the defense to set up the wings to score.
If they introduced #4 ...dre or Ayo don t have to do anything but drive/draw defenders and kick back to giorgi; your offense goes through giorgi for final pass option ...1 kofi, 2 trent, 3 AG

I, and probably a handful of other posters on here have had opportunities to watch the team practice. The thing is these are the things that do get stressed at practice. Brad has mentioned a few times that the guards need to move the ball around more. They show it in practice, and in games when they’re comfortably ahead of weaker opponents.
The guards, especially Ayo and Dre; often act like they forget everything they learn in practice and just play hero ball.
At first I thought maybe because they’re selfish, but I’m starting to think they don’t have the confidence or ability to see passes or spread the ball around.

A Miami alum i know told me the scouting report said that Ayo and Dre kick the ball out on drives 12% of the time. Now I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it did show that Miami defenders collapsed hard whenever they drove,completely disregarding outlet guys. I particularly remember Dre and Ayo’s drives at the end of each half showing Miami went all in on when they drove the ball. I also noticed that in the mizzou game, especially with Dre.
If I were to grade our guards unbiasedly, they would get a B in scoring, C in ball handling, and D- in Passing.
Many fans and writers were excited in our back court this year, but I think they’ve been exposed against Zona, Miami, and Mizzou. The weave was introduced to force more ball movement, but it ends up in a last second desperation shot.
I really want these guys to figure things out, but I’m starting to thing this guard trio is too one dimensional to make a dynamic offense.
Good insight....although makes me more concerned about coaching...... to not be able to get players to play like they practice.

Deleted member 29907

D
Good insight....although makes me more concerned about coaching...... to not be able to get players to play like they practice.
A comment BU said very early on - maybe even at the hiring was that he loved to teach the game and that games seemed secondary. I don't get why players get to play outside the "system" and remain in the game. Ayo included. Trent should be running our point. Most unselfish guy out there who can handle the ball well.

Assists per game
Big Ten Leader
Michigan State 19.8
Tie for 8th
Illinois 14.3

Turnovers per game
Big Ten Leader
Wisconsin 11.8
14th
Illinois 15.8

Assists Per Game
2004-2005
Williams 6.8
Brown 4.5
Head 3.8

2019-2020
Feliz 3.3
Donsunmu 3.1
Frazier 2.2

"On the dance floor, but a long way from the band."

Last edited:
Most of our offensive stats will look ugly when you play 4 on 5 on the offensive end.

Last edited:
Perhaps, the coach gets paid millions to break down and figure out how to make the offense more successful. To me it looks like the players panic when games get tough either due to lack of skill or no buying into the system. I don’t get the feeling that it’s the latter. Underwood had admitted he’s befuddled by the inconsistent play, but i’m sure he had an idea what the problem is.
These kids work really hard, and they can still make the tourney; but the offensive identity can’t be what it is now. Teams are scouting out how to shut down the guards.
It’s great to see Ayo have an effective game scoring the ball, but really needs to focus more on setting up players for easy shots. I expected Ayo to have the season Tyrese Haliburton has been having, but it just hasn’t been coming together for him.
Still a ton of season though. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.