Missouri 79, Illinois 63 POSTGAME

And in all seriousness, I’ve provided every bit as much evidence for my argument with that response as you have. You’re basically saying “it’s raining because I didn’t bring my umbrella, and the proof is that it’s raining!” That’s not actual proof of the cause.

And I never said Underwood wasn’t accountable for the team not executing. Just that the lack of execution has nothing to do with the system, which is true. A team can fail to carry out literally any game plan.

The reason why coaches never try anything different is because there’s an army of idiots ready to call in to Sportsline after the first time anything goes wrong and insist that the SYSTEM DOESN’T WORK! If we were running straight motion and the pack line, folks would just be complaining about the coach wearing button-collar shirts and having a hoarse voice, or whatever it was that we complained about when Weber was around.

I take the guy sitting on a barstool as seriously as he should be taken on all of this stuff, which is not seriously at all.

Deleted member 653277

D
Didn't watch the game. Wasn't interested in watching because it's the same issues over and over. Another game getting outcoached and experienced players not stepping up (except Trent). Bad system, bad lineups etc.

Underwood is still coaching like he's at a mid major program. I see some posters saying just wait til he recruits to fit his system. Well what players fit this style? And what good is it if guys are gassed when it's time to close out games...And I gave Damonte a pass last year coming off his ACL. But he has regressed so much since high school. No off the dribble explosion, no handle to create at all which were his strengths.

Ok I'm done ranting. I'll check back in March smh.

This isn't the first time Illinois' defense has given up shooting % in the high 40's and 50"s this year and last. Which is schematic.

No worries, that would mean more time for TU!
Have no Fear.jpg

Deleted member 631370

D
Not a great year so far for the Huggins coaching tree.

Bob is 7 -4 (beat Jacksonville State 74 - 72 yesterday).

Frank Martin is 4 - 7 at South Carolina.

And Brad......

The more I think about it, the more the idea of BU being our own Frank Martin scares me.

Yep, he got a Final Four. But that was his one and only NCAA tournament at South Carolina in 7 seasons. And he followed up a Final Four with a 17-16 season and now this year's stinker.

And he runs more kids out of town than any coach in America.

So, no thanks.

Amazed that BU can't figure out why the team cannot finish games. THEY ARE TIRED!! And expending all the extra effort on defense while watching layups and easy buckets for the other team has to be challenging on a psychological scale. The Illini are mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted at the end of every game.

This could be trouble before too long. Folks are going to start wondering if this isn't favoritism and Tyler isn't so good that anyone will be able to squelch that.

You do not understand. Trent is the player he is because of Tyler

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/Article/Tyler-Underwood-Living-out-a-dream-118220351/

Beyond just thinking the game like a coach and having a drive to really be a student of the game, Tyler has also shown an ability to connect and teach.
“I think Trent in particular was a guy that Ty spent a lot of time with,” Brad Underwood said. “He can help guys understand stuff. Maybe understand it in a different way than I explain it.”

After nearly 40+ years of being an diehard fan, I can truly say I anticipated this game all week (superbowl) or not, it did not live up to the billing.

This team is simply overmatched, undercoached, and futile at best without TF. Ayo looks lost in almost every game, he looks as if he is a 3* recruit presently, honestly no better than Griffin at this moment.

We lost to a sick sophomore, a over rated (not effective) transfer, and 2 freshman who we should have kept or gotten. Pinson has a flair and is rangy and a player whom could help TF, Pickett is a player who is long and athletic enough to be a starter for us as well.

Can't blame this one on refs, youth, or anything else, except just failure to the utmost degree....

I am as close to being uninterested in ILLINI sports as I have ever been in over 40 years. 10 + years is a joke for an institution in this conference to have been this irrelevant?

INSANITY...definition is Illini!!!

Sad but true. Was in school 40 years ago myself. At least Smith did not kill us this year.

Go Illini! (please)

That could be true, I'm just saying BU is not going anywhere. He's proven he can coach at two other schools. And moving forward we'll play the freshman more and by the end of the season we'll be fired up for next year.

Like we are now!

The defensive scheme has changed a lot over the course of the season. Pressure is less intense with the result that fouls are way down.
The two things we cannot fix are that they are exhausted at the end of every game and they are mostly freshmen. My concern is with how many of them decide to be sophs somewhere else.

Really, there is nothing about this program that is working against major college bb programs. Offensively, if Trent doesn't create we have nothing. Ayo's skills as point are wasted because unless we run, he rarely touches the ball. Damonte provides zero offense. Only Georgi can score in the post and while a pleasant surprise, he is not great. Defensively, we have dialed it back some but still get beat off dribble and then have to scramble. Missouri is not good folks. Tillmon had a good game but just made layups. Not at all convinced he is an NBA big. Pickett had a good game but he is average at best. Geist was good. Brad's arrow is not pointing up. I am not convinced that everyone will transfer but that is not a winning roster and there are no signs we are adding enough to make it so next year. Also, Tyler playing did not bother me much in other games particularly vs the mid majors but he played way too much last night. Aaron Jordan plays hard, rebounds, and hits shots when we can get them for him. He would contribute even more on a team with more offenive threats or that ran plays to get him open shots

Clearly the fouls were down in this game for us. That is a good sign, however the opponent's shooting % was not.
Playing the typical Power 5 team, we get underestimated, perhaps rightly so, and the pressure D works for a while.
By the 2nd half, they figure it out, we get tired, whatever. Power 5 team goes on a run and we can't keep up.
Could be that our best game against a Power 5 was our first. Not looking good.

What is our O/U for B10 wins? I am guessing it is maybe 4.5. Can someone check. Too cheap to get a KenPom subscription when we are pretty much irrelevant. I heard that the B10 is really good, and we aren't. Do we get 10 wins? Do we get more recruits for next year? Is the basketball season resigned to football status, tape the game, ask the wife if we got within 10 points, and then decide whether to watch or not. Sad, just sad.

GO ILLINI!

Mustered enough interest to hold the shift key for the GO!

What is our O/U for B10 wins? I am guessing it is maybe 4.5. Can someone check. Too cheap to get a KenPom subscription when we are pretty much irrelevant. I heard that the B10 is really good, and we aren't. Do we get 10 wins? Do we get more recruits for next year? Is the basketball season resigned to football status, tape the game, ask the wife if we got within 10 points, and then decide whether to watch or not. Sad, just sad.

GO ILLINI!

Mustered enough interest to hold the shift key for the GO!

Unless something changes, 4.5 sounds about right. Sometimes one can beat stronger teams with a hot-shotting night, but that prospect does not seem too likely at this point. We may be in for some serious "paign" this season.

I can’t belive how bad Ayo looked last night. There was a sequence where twice in a row he had awful turnovers leading the break. That’s supposed to be his bread and butter. He also didn’t block out when they got a big defensive pit back at one point. I’m too discouraged to watch it again, and I’m not putting this just on one player, but he was a big reason they got all momentum and took over down the stretch.

We can’t have that from him.

I can’t belive how bad Ayo looked last night. There was a sequence where twice in a row he had awful turnovers leading the break. That’s supposed to be his bread and butter. He also didn’t block out when they got a big defensive pit back at one point. I’m too discouraged to watch it again, and I’m not putting this just on one player, but he was a big reason they got all momentum and took over down the stretch.

We can’t have that from him.
He never got into the game. Got the cheap foul call early and then the T. Knew he was done after that. The game will slow down for him. He'll be fine.

He never got into the game. Got the cheap foul call early and then the T. Knew he was done after that. The game will slow down for him. He'll be fine.

I get what you are saying, but if what happened the first 2 minutes of the game impacted how he played in the last 10 minutes of the game, well then 8 don’t know what to say. This is a top 25 “program changing recruit”.

Amazed that BU can't figure out why the team cannot finish games. THEY ARE TIRED!! And expending all the extra effort on defense while watching layups and easy buckets for the other team has to be challenging on a psychological scale. The Illini are mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted at the end of every game.
Yes. It’s funny how the system is predicated on wearing down the opponent and the Illini are the team that’s gassed. Much of the energy expended is just wasted.

I get what you are saying, but if what happened the first 2 minutes of the game impacted how he played in the last 10 minutes of the game, well then 8 don’t know what to say. This is a top 25 “program changing recruit”.
And he's a kid. All I can say is that I want and hope it's a blip and he learns from it.