Missouri 79, Illinois 63 POSTGAME

My worry is that bu had a week to prepare. He is supposed to be x o s coach. He insisted this is exactly what this team needed. There was no offensive movement and lack of good pressure D. They weren't ready simple as that. Deserve better. But always Illini bball fan.

@ mattcoldagelli

I haven't seen the favoritism charge leveled -- maybe I just haven't been looking at the right pages.

But if I was a player on this team I'd be wondering about that right now. Fair or not that's got to be a sore spot that losing is gonna rub raw. If it hasn't already.

First move is Brad's got to bench the kid. It's either that or lose the team.

(Or it might be too late already. God I hope not.)

We are a strong 3/4 of a game team,we can start fast D wise but are not a great shooting team, don't have more than one current Off option, D early but can't step on their neck yet. Does every play have to be a hand off? I keep waiting on a play like Samba had where fake cuts, wheeled and in, or passing to an open 3.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned in the game thread that journalists need to press Underwood about this.

Maybe us fans should take it into our own hands. I mean, all we would need to do is make a meme or two - or even better a little video - posing the question as to why dude is playing, and then start circulating it. If our forum is any indication, a significant percentage of Illini fans must be wanting to ask the same things of coach:

"Why do your son look like Samwise Gamgee with a crew cut?"

"Did he learn to ball in the Shire?"

"Why is he getting minutes over highly touted recruits who need game experience to develop?"

I don't know that TU is all that bad, and nobody is entitled to minutes just because they were a four-or-five star recruit. But TU isn't so much better than the other players, and the appearance just isn't good.

I guess what I'm saying is: if you want to teach the new recruits a lesson, find a walk-on that isn't your own son.

Cook

Richmond, VA
BU has proven last year and this year to have an inexplicable problem choosing the right line-ups and sub patterns. not sure why, but he is not good at it.

My worry is that bu had a week to prepare. He is supposed to be x o s coach. He insisted this is exactly what this team needed. There was no offensive movement and lack of good pressure D. They weren't ready simple as that. Deserve better. But always Illini bball fan.
We are a strong 3/4 of a game team,we can start fast D wise but are not a great shooting team, don't have more than one current Off option, D early but can't step on their neck yet, does every play have to be a hand off, I keep waiting on a play like Samba had where fake cuts, wheeled and in, or passing to an open 3.
Not every play need to be a hand off. It can also be an alley pop to your 6’3 wing over the other team’s 6’10 post player. ☺️

Someone mentioned in the game thread that journalists need to press Underwood about this.

Maybe us fans should take it into our own hands. I mean, all we would need to do is make a meme or two - or even better a little video - posing the question as to why dude is playing, and then start circulating it. If our forum is any indication, a significant percentage of Illini fans must be wanting to ask the same things of coach:

"Why do your son look like Samwise Gamgee with a crew cut?"

"Did he learn to ball in the Shire?"

"Why is he getting minutes over highly touted recruits who need game experience to develop?"
What do you want him to do stop the culture, no one is excluded from following rules,obviously he feels TU can burn some tics, he probably knows the offense, he's not chucking just filling sometime while BU updates the starter.

After nearly 40+ years of being an diehard fan, I can truly say I anticipated this game all week (superbowl) or not, it did not live up to the billing.

This team is simply overmatched, undercoached, and futile at best without TF. Ayo looks lost in almost every game, he looks as if he is a 3* recruit presently, honestly no better than Griffin at this moment.

We lost to a sick sophomore, a over rated (not effective) transfer, and 2 freshman who we should have kept or gotten. Pinson has a flair and is rangy and a player whom could help TF, Pickett is a player who is long and athletic enough to be a starter for us as well.

Can't blame this one on refs, youth, or anything else, except just failure to the utmost degree....

I am as close to being uninterested in ILLINI sports as I have ever been in over 40 years. 10 + years is a joke for an institution in this conference to have been this irrelevant?

INSANITY...definition is Illini!!!

I will take Illinois getting Jeff Thomas over a braggin rights win, especially in a year where all hope is gone anyways. Let’s go Illini golf!!

BU has proven last year and this year to have an inexplicable problem choosing the right line-ups and sub patterns. not sure why, but he is not good at it.

Totally agree. I’ve seen him, multiple times, pull guys who are hitting a groove scoring.

And he needs to realize that playing experience over youth when the experience has no talent is a sure fire recipe for disaster.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Ayo will be a star. He had a bad night. That’s to be expected.
But why don’t samba and griffin get that same lattitude?

I agree with Samba and Griffin getting more tick...and Tev when he returns... I don’t think you have any choice but to play for the future with these guys. Ayo? He should be a star, but I worry the “system” is handcuffing him.

He’s 7-22 against high major opponents here.

He hasn’t proven anything. And Thomas Walkup isn’t going to the scorers table anytime soon.
That could be true, I'm just saying BU is not going anywhere. He's proven he can coach at two other schools. And moving forward we'll play the freshman more and by the end of the season we'll be fired up for next year.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Our athletic department is in exactly the position we all would have predicted the day of Not Ideal.

But my goodness, the path we've taken to get there beggars belief.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Can anyone please give any cogent reasons why BU is doing an acceptable job....thanks

That could be true, I'm just saying BU is not going anywhere. He's proven he can coach at two other schools. And moving forward we'll play the freshman more and by the end of the season we'll be fired up for next year.

He isn’t going anywhere because, like Lovie he has a huge buyout (12.5 million I believe) due to poorly structured DIA contracts.

The concerning part is the recruiting. He doesn’t seem too fond of it but he isn’t out-scheming anybody so that’s a problem.

If you are a fan you won't trash our players, we lost obviously, you didn't get over it. Have you ever failed. Give this time. ILL......

Our offense and defense are supposed to wear down opponents. It looks more like they wear down the Illini themselves.

For what it is worth, Martin did say, prior to the game, that he has figured out how to beat the BU pressure D.

And, it seems like he showed it today.

I STILL think our kids do not come to play and certainly for 40 minutes. It is not BU's O/D, it is the kids that do not execute it very well for the most part. BU is known for his O/D.