Missouri 79, Illinois 63 POSTGAME

Best fans in the game right here. Let's start hate videos against the coaches kid.

I'm not saying that fans should start ragging on TU. I'm not sure I want the media making a big deal about this either. I don't think he's a bad person or a bad player. But he's in a VERY awkward spot right now and I think it would be better for the team if he saw significantly fewer minutes. Ideal situation would probably be for him to go to Brad Underwood himself and say that for the sake of team unity he should stay on the bench for a couple of games.

Deleted member 746094

D
Oh, somebody directly asked BU why Tyler is getting playtime.

His answer was "defense." So there's that.

This was a total BS answer and you could tell he has waited for this question for some time.

He also said “the ball finds him” and “he is our best passer.” Based off of what performance in what game?

He would have been better off saying, “because I am the head basketball coach of this program, next question”.

If this doesn’t change then I regretfully have to endorse change because he is oblivious to the bigger picture of running a high major men’s basketball program.

SKane

Tennessee
Not a great year so far for the Huggins coaching tree.

Bob is 7 -4 (beat Jacksonville State 74 - 72 yesterday).

Frank Martin is 4 - 7 at South Carolina.

And Brad......

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
My worry is that bu had a week to prepare. He is supposed to be x o s coach. He insisted this is exactly what this team needed. There was no offensive movement and lack of good pressure D. They weren't ready simple as that. Deserve better. But always Illini bball fan.
This is my concern as well. BU had a week to prepare for Misery and this was, arguably, one of the worst performances all around for this team. The offense was stagnant, the substitutions were questionable at best, and the defense didn’t apply any pressure or play with any purpose. I don’t miss Groce one bit, but BU needs to right this ship fairly quickly or he’s going to lose a lot of support (he’s already lost some).

The atmosphere around this program has grown so toxic I don’t think there’s a coach alive who can turn it around. Media, fans, everyone. There will never be a fresh start, we will never luck into a decent run by accident, every season will end in November. Our only hope is that the NCAA ceases to exist and puts us all out of our misery for good.

This is my concern as well. BU had a week to prepare for Misery and this was, arguably, one of the worst performances all around for this team. The offense was stagnant, the substitutions were questionable at best, and the defense didn’t apply any pressure or play with any purpose. I don’t miss Groce one bit, but BU needs to right this ship fairly quickly or he’s going to lose a lot of support (he’s already lost some).
Did Mizzou have some days to prepare also ? They did better than us. Plus we need to practice free throws. Let's do something other than hand off and lob to a short guy over the post.

Tacomallini

Washington State
I'd give Giorgi an Honorable mention "show up" as he did get 10 and 7 against a more talented, more experienced 5 star big in tilmon. Not bad for a guy ranked in the 300s in HS...JMO
I'll second that thought. Giorgi did not have a bad game at all, but I think Tilman is the best big he's faced so far this year.
I would have expected 2 more pages for East Tennessee State, we won by 18 versus losing by just 16. There is definitely a negative bias on this board.
Was on BTN+ and most of the board didn't get to see that game

Last edited:
The atmosphere around this program has grown so toxic I don’t think there’s a coach alive who can turn it around. Media, fans, everyone. There will never be a fresh start, we will never luck into a decent run by accident, every season will end in November. Our only hope is that the NCAA ceases to exist and puts us all out of our misery for good.
I think you're taking things too serious,relax it's just college BB.

I hate to admit it to myself, but all this talk of "returning to respectability," "getting back to who we are," or a return to the "glory days," might have passed. Our program is in poor shape. It may be we simply need to decide if we are Fighting Illini fans... or not. Ugh.

I think you're taking things too serious,relax it's just college BB.
That is true, though I like to root for a winner on occasion.

Assume Underwood gets canned in a couple of years, though. Who takes this job? You have no returning talent, no recent success to build on, facilities that are mediocre at best, relationships with the media and HS/AAU coaches that are completely salted Earth at this point, and the weight of three failed coaches and a decade of no tournament appearances on your shoulders. And you’ll be given about two or three months to turn it all around before the noose begins to tighten again.

This has somehow become one of the worst high-major gigs around, and it truly bums me out.

Deleted member 645583

D
I think it's just plain sickening what's happened to Illinois basketball. Not a glimmer of hope at this point. And there's the real possibility of transfers and decommits if things don't improve. Man.

If the system isn't working, shouldn't it be changed? And play everyone to find out who can get the job done.

Look this is not brain surgery. This defense DOES NOT WORK! Another team shoots over 50% from 2 and 3! And our coach can't figure out his defense is a big part of the problem. They overlay too much! Rotations can't keep up with ball movement! Which leads to lay-ups, dunks and open 3's. Underwood, said Tilmons a ton. You know what, he shot lay-ups and dunks all night. In part because they couldn't keep up and found him for lay-up or nobody found him on rotation to stop put back. You ever see how far off IL defender is when guarding man on baseline? He loses track of him because he's looking for double team and that's when these guys go behind for pass, dunk or lay-up. This is on Underwood, not player personnel! For the zillionth time there's a reason coaches across the country don't use this defense and we see why on a regular basis

If there was ever a need for Kofi, tonight was all that was needed to justify said need. This team is young, inexperienced, and lacks a true identity; it has half Groce leftovers and new blood. This team will get longer, more athletic, and hopefully more talented. There were things to like about tonight's game, and there were things not to like. Yes, Alan would have helped, but Tev, having missed six games, is not game ready.

Ayo was not himself; Giorgi, for as good as he can be for what he is, was beyond off; and the lack of depth at the post was exploited. If, and I mean IF, we bring back a mature Tev and complement this team with a Kofi and January; Samba will mature; and hopefully as I have said, the recruits will come. The scheme is there, but how are you going to adjust for something that you cannot correct? The intensity was there, we shot poorly in the second half, and we let them get easy buckets in the paint (along with several others shooting exceptionally well). This does not excuse BU, but please put this into perspective here; his only real faults were the minutes given to ADL and to TU. Other adjustments could have been made, but there was enough that I liked despite the loss.

Hanging this loss on “the system” is bogus. They played well when they executed it with intensity, but then someone put a lid on the hoop and the discipline just vanished. That’s its own problem, but you can’t blame the system when they are not playing within it.

Q: What is an Illinois 3 point play?

A: Shoot 10 free throws.

After tonight, that may be optimistic.

I feel bad for Trent in the same way as Malcolm Hill. Individually they can have huge games, but do not have the team to get into the win column.

Go thru game by game and look at the stats. What you will see is a team defense that routinely has opposing offenses shoot in the high 40's and 50's against therm. That's because of the SCHEME they run! Players not playing within the system is the coaches responsibility. And your right someone put a lid on the hoop, AGAIN! They shot 40% from 2 again. What's going on out on the floor has everything to do with the SCHEMES Underwood is running.