Mizzou's Jontay Porter out for year with knee injury

Deleted member 8213

D
Porters are 4 for 4 at Mizzou tearing ACLs including both sisters and both brothers.

Edit: I was drunk, Michael's was a back of course, but the sisters have evidentally combined for 7 :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 746094

D
Unfortunate. Never wish injury upon anyone. Hope he can rehab and come back strong. I wonder if he pulls a Bosa and lets Cuonzo know his college days are over???

Deleted member 8632

D
I thought he tested that and they said come back in a year or so.
He did test the waters and some draft boards had him going as high as the end of the 1st round. I feel bad for the young man. Hindsights 20/20. I do find it somewhat ironic Clownzo poaches Tray Jackson from Minny on friday and his best player goes down with a knee injury today. Carma is a b*tch Martin.

Deleted member 29907

D
Was looking at a post on Tigerboard - quick view has like 80% of their team that either committed or played somewhere else before going to Miznoz??? Watson is the latest...

Was looking at a post on Tigerboard - quick view has like 80% of their team that either committed or played somewhere else before going to Miznoz??? Watson is the latest...

Most were because of coaches being fired, and Martin being hired.

Porter - Romar
Tilmon/Pickett - Groce
Watson - Matta
Dru Smith - Simmons (also the chance to move up to a power 5 school from the University of Evansville)

Martin and Mann were recruiting Tray Jackson hard but when Minnesota hired a former Sunrise Christian Academy coach Kyle Lindsted (where he went to school) he verbally committed to them.

I guess you could count Suggs also but he left Bradley and is a walk on at Missouri.

Mark Smith is of course the other transfer.

So 7 of the 13 scholarship players were committed to other schools at one time. That is still a pretty high.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29907

D
Most were because of coaches being fired, and Martin being hired.

Porter - Romar
Tilmon/Pickett - Groce
Watson - Matta
Dru Smith - Simmons (also the chance to move up to a power 5 school from the University of Evansville)

Martin and Mann were recruiting Tray Jackson hard but when Minnesota hired a former Sunrise Christian Academy coach Kyle Lindsted (where he went to school) he verbally committed to them.

I guess you could count Suggs also but he left Bradley and is a walk on at Missouri.

Mark Smith is of course the other transfer.

So 7 of the 13 scholarship players were committed to other schools at one time. That is still a pretty high.
High percentage still - even moreso when you cut out the end of the bench.

High percentage still - even moreso when you cut out the end of the bench.

Agree it's a high percentage. Do you think it's a good way to go though? Keep recruiting especially once a coach is fired? All of those guys had Missouri in their final cuts when they made their choice the first time except Dru Smith who's assistant coach actually contacted assistant Hollender for Missouri when Smith said he was leaving after Simmons was fired. Hollender used to be an assistant under Simmons at Evansville.

wILL-INI

Charlotte, NC

Literally Mizzou is the second choice for half their players. If thats not a chant at Braggin' Right, I'll be disappointed. 3 of whom wanted to go to Illinois first.

Sad event for the kid although he made the right choice coming back. Injuries are never good for the sport, even when they happen to a rival. I hope he fully recovers soon.

Literally Mizzou is the second choice for half their players. If thats not a chant at Braggin' Right, I'll be disappointed. 3 of whom wanted to go to Illinois first.

The chant and beating Cunzo and his crew in the Bragging Rights Game will do it for me.

We probably don’t want to talk about a school being a successful bridesmaid

We probably don’t want to talk about a school being a successful bridesmaid

There has to be an underlying reason. Is it Cunzo's charming personality? Is Mizzou is a top university where they will get an unequaled education? Is Columbia, Missouri a happening town? Doubt it, no and no. Hummmm, wonder what it is?

There has to be an underlying reason. Is it Cunzo's charming personality? Is Mizzou is a top university where they will get an unequaled education? Is Columbia, Missouri a happening town? Doubt it, no and no. Hummmm, wonder what it is?

Part of it is Cuonzo and his staffs "charm". All you have to do is read what recruits have to say about how he and the staff recruited them. A lot of them say they talk about things other than basketball most of the time. To do that you have to have a personality outside of a gym. Common sense alone says Cuonzo will get some recruits from the St Louis area because not only is he from there but he is friends with a lot of these kids dads since High School. He's also been building relationships by doing a lot of basketball camps, youth programs and charity events. etc. in the area. Some of Missouri's players have had their high school, AAU, or college coaches contact Martin and/or his assistants about playing for them.

Part of it is Cuonzo and his staffs "charm". All you have to do is read what recruits have to say about how he and the staff recruited them. A lot of them say they talk about things other than basketball most of the time. To do that you have to have a personality outside of a gym. Common sense alone says Cuonzo will get some recruits from the St Louis area because not only is he from there but he is friends with a lot of these kids dads since High School. He's also been building relationships by doing a lot of basketball camps, youth programs and charity events. etc. in the area. Some of Missouri's players have had their high school, AAU, or college coaches contact Martin and/or his assistants about playing for them.

Martin has always been a good recruiter, even outside St. Louis area, even when he was at Cal. I do not think this is likely to change in the future. We will always battle for some recruits but our recruiting future (positive or negative) will have little to do with Martin.