MLB Thread 2020

Quick non-Cub commentary on the Fernando Tatis Jr./3-0 pitch HR debate being had right now: Baseball's unwritten rules are childish and are alienating the sport from future generations.

Take it from the greatest to play in my lifetime.

Quick non-Cub commentary on the Fernando Tatis Jr./3-0 pitch HR debate being had right now: Baseball's unwritten rules are childish and are alienating the sport from future generations.

Whining about swinging when the pitcher is behind the 8 ball... truly an american pastime.

So many things already said on social media, but seriously, it's 100% on the pitcher and the other team they were in that situation. Don't go down 7/8 runs in the 8th, load the bases, and get the count up to 3-0 and you wont even give the other team the chance to hit at the obvious meatball that's going to come across the plate.

Older generations love complaining about how every kid gets a participation trophy, but bowing out of an at bat just because the pitcher did poorly is ok?

It's a shame we even have to talk about it, let alone that he basically apologized and said he'd change his approach in a similar situation.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Whining about swinging when the pitcher is behind the 8 ball... truly an american pastime.

So many things already said on social media, but seriously, it's 100% on the pitcher and the other team they were in that situation. Don't go down 7/8 runs in the 8th, load the bases, and get the count up to 3-0 and you wont even give the other team the chance to hit at the obvious meatball that's going to come across the plate.

Older generations love complaining about how every kid gets a participation trophy, but bowing out of an at bat just because the pitcher did poorly is ok?

It's a shame we even have to talk about it, let alone that he basically apologized and said he'd change his approach in a similar situation.
Anthony Rizzo said, "If we have take 3-0, the pitcher has to throw a fastball on 3-1." I totally agree. Pitcher, learn to get someone out instead of bemoaning a guy ripping your 3-0 meatball.

bdutts

Houston, Texas

They should probably take the Astros guys out of that video. They rewrote the rules for the wrong reasons. :)

Saw a tweet he's tied for the most WAR by a pitcher this season.

Fangraphs has him 1st in the Majors. BRef has him tied for third in the NL. FG’s WAR is more predictive, while BR’s is more descriptive of past results. Thus, FG thinks Darvish will be the best pitcher in baseball going forward based on his performance so far this year.

I hope that’s the case, but it’s hard to argue what he’s done the last 14-15 months.

Over his last 18 starts... 2.49 ERA over 111.2 IP, 152 Ks to 12 BBs... is absolutely amazing.

Hard to think of a recent trade that has worked out worse for a team than the Pirates acquiring Chris Archer for Austin Meadows, Tyler Glasnow and Shane Baz (21, currently a consensus top 100 prospect).

Archer has been bad and hurt, is out for the year, with the good news being that he has a really cheap buy out for the last year of his contract. Glasnow and Meadows have been mostly very good and were key parts of their 96-win team last year.

The Pirates were 56-52 (.519) and 3.5 games out of first when they made that trade. They've gone 99-137 (.419) since and are right now quite easily the worst team in baseball and have a middling farm system.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Thom Brennaman with the random homophobic comment on a hot mic:

And here's his apology:

"I am so, so, horribly, horribly sorry for what I said two minutes ago and thought no one was listening to...." It amazes me how some of these guys who have it made are so stupid. Can't you just not say something like that if you're wearing a headset and there's even a 1% chance it might get picked up by some audio?

"I am so, so, horribly, horribly sorry for what I said two minutes ago and thought no one was listening to...." It amazes me how some of these guys who have it made are so stupid. Can't you just not say something like that if you're wearing a headset and there's even a 1% chance it might get picked up by some audio?

On top of that, just don't say it. 1) It's bigoted and hateful with no place it should be said, let alone at the ballpark, and 2) Even if the Thom is wearing a headset and there's even a 1% chance of it being picked up on a hot mic, what's the rationale for even saying it? It makes no sense to me.

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them." ~Maya Angelou

Hard to think of a recent trade that has worked out worse for a team than the Pirates acquiring Chris Archer for Austin Meadows, Tyler Glasnow and Shane Baz (21, currently a consensus top 100 prospect).

Archer has been bad and hurt, is out for the year, with the good news being that he has a really cheap buy out for the last year of his contract. Glasnow and Meadows have been mostly very good and were key parts of their 96-win team last year.

Oh it's definitely bad. Though I wonder how many Sox fans would want a redo on the James Shields trade right now.