More trouble for Mizzou

the national

the Front Range
Statement from #Mizzou "The program is aware that Jordan Barnett was involved in an incident last night. The program will have no further comment at this time."

Well, that’s not good. I wish they had all their players and got missurably beat down. Now they’ll have an excuse why they stink.

Living in Mo. but growing up an hour from C-U, I particularly enjoy the Illini winning in St. Louis in Dec., especially this year. That said, I am a fan of Cuonzo Martin for several reasons other than his win/loss record. Nevertheless, it is evident, more so now than at any other time, that he and his staff are not particularly adept at coaching kids up. He had three five star bigs in his lineup and still got beaten rather easily by Ga., a team going nowhere. The Tigers did not use Tilmon nearly as much as they could or should. The Porter kids are solid, but not close to in a league with Bagley and Ayton who play with another level of energy.

Regardless of not having a chance to pursue Martin, I think the Illini got the guy they need to build the program to a long term level we all desire. Martin has never really had an elite season only one good one MSU, one good one at Tn., and one OK season at Cal. I would rate this year somewhat disappointing with too many half-assed efforts. The Illini had one in Madison and pretty much brought it all in for the majority of the rest of the games. They beat the Tigers simply due to energy expended and will to win. If that can continue to build, the future is bright for our guys and very iffy for the Tigers.

Eh. Mizzou won 27 games in the 3 years prior. Any tournament appearance is gravy for them. Final Four predictions were unrealistic.

Program is headed in the right direction, and Martin is only 46 years old

Living in Mo. but growing up an hour from C-U, I particularly enjoy the Illini winning in St. Louis in Dec., especially this year. That said, I am a fan of Cuonzo Martin for several reasons other than his win/loss record. Nevertheless, it is evident, more so now than at any other time, that he and his staff are not particularly adept at coaching kids up. He had three five star bigs in his lineup and still got beaten rather easily by Ga., a team going nowhere. The Tigers did not use Tilmon nearly as much as they could or should. The Porter kids are solid, but not close to in a league with Bagley and Ayton who play with another level of energy.

Regardless of not having a chance to pursue Martin, I think the Illini got the guy they need to build the program to a long term level we all desire. Martin has never really had an elite season only one good one MSU, one good one at Tn., and one OK season at Cal. I would rate this year somewhat disappointing with too many half-assed efforts. The Illini had one in Madison and pretty much brought it all in for the majority of the rest of the games. They beat the Tigers simply due to energy expended and will to win. If that can continue to build, the future is bright for our guys and very iffy for the Tigers.

Mike played in his first game after back surgery. Mike is definitely in the same league as Bagley and Ayton. I will give you Jontay as not in the same league as Bagley and Ayton but what everyone forgets is that Jontay should be a senior in HS. He is 18 years old and playing at a good level in HM ball.

BillyBob1

Champaign
2 players arrested
1 kicked off the team
1 left on his own in the middle of the season

Forget anyone else?

Eh. Mizzou won 27 games in the 3 years prior. Any tournament appearance is gravy for them. Final Four predictions were unrealistic.

Program is headed in the right direction, and Martin is only 46 years old

They could be. Probably won't be hiring Porter Sr. & getting his sons every year. Mike didn't play well in the SEC tourney but that was to be expected given his long lay off. But he's gone after this year anyway. Dontay is showing up in some mock drafts at the bottom of the first round. So who knows?
Missouri's guard play is really bad.
As for Martin, I think he is a better coach than many give him credit for. He seems for whatever reason to wear off his welcome after about 3 years.

Deleted member 654622

D
They could be. Probably won't be hiring Porter Sr. & getting his sons every year. Mike didn't play well in the SEC tourney but that was to be expected given his long lay off. But he's gone after this year anyway. Dontay is showing up in some mock drafts at the bottom of the first round. So who knows?
Missouri's guard play is really bad.
As for Martin, I think he is a better coach than many give him credit for. He seems for whatever reason to wear off his welcome after about 3 years.

That is because he underperforms...and that gets old. Ron Zook says hello

Morning after bragging rights, I bump into a friend, big successful Mizzou alum. The first words out of his mouth were "we got out coached last night"

Nothing drives a fan base crazier faster than to have the talent to win but to be unprepared and outcoached.

Look at this board last year when we so unprepared to play. This was not a pleasant spot.

And we canned that coach during that culture.

Not really, we eventually canned those coaches (applies to both Weber and Groce) for not winning enough much after most the occurrence of those incidents. Had they won, long after those incidents, those firings would not have happened.

Jordan Barnett arrested for DUI (one day before selection Sunday)

Maybe he was trying to forget how much his offensive production and shot attempts would decrease with Porter now back in the lineup. :D

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/coll...cle_271eb453-0609-519b-809c-2f5007c60be1.html
As of Saturday, Missouri stood at No. 45 in the Ratings Percentage Index used by the NCAA selection committee to construct the field. This year, rather than just counting a team’s wins against the top-rated RPI teams, the committee classifies wins into four quadrants using the same RPI standings. A Quadrant 1 game is against an RPI top 30 team at home, an RPI top 50 team on a neutral court and a top 75 team on the road. Mizzou is 5-7 in Quadrant 1 games and 5-3 in Quadrant 2 games with its most impressive wins coming against Tennessee (No. 8 RPI), Kentucky (18) and Arkansas (27). The Tigers’ two worst defeats fall into the Quadrant 3 category, losses to Ole Miss (140) and Illinois (181).

. Jordan Barnett was on Texas’ 2015 NCAA Tournament team that lost to Butler in the first round, but he didn’t get in the game.

Then again, Barnett might not play in the tournament this year either. The senior guard from St. Louis was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated early Saturday morning during a traffic stop in Columbia. Tigers coach Cuonzo Martin hasn’t addressed Barnett’s status publicly but will surely be asked about the situation after the team’s selection show watch party Sunday night at Mizzou Arena. According to the Mizzou student-athlete handbook, an athlete arrested for DWI will be suspended from team activities for a minimum of one week for a first offense. The Tigers will open tournament play Thursday or Friday depending on their seeding — unless they’re sent to Dayton, Ohio, for one of the First Four play-in games played Tuesday and Wednesday.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
If anyone is curious, Barnett was suspended for only the opening game of the NCAA tournament.