Murray State (9/3) 2:30pm CT, Western Michigan (9/17) 3:00pm CT

KJKobs

Chicago, IL
http://fightingillini.com/news/2016...u-football-game-set-for-afternoon-starts.aspx

Ck2Li8oUYAEl7un.jpg

BTN announces first three weeks of 2016 football schedule
http://btn.com/2016/06/13/btn-announces-first-three-weeks-of-2016-football-schedule/

Ck2IJLeVAAAGpAz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure is nice not having to wake up at 5:30 am anymore to have fun. Schedule is much more conducive to larger crowds.

Konnie

Western Suburbs
I am a little disappointed that the Homecoming game starts at 11AM and not 2:30PM.

Some winnable home conference games. I like our bowl chances.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
One thing I don't like-four conference home games, five conference away games. I know it will alternate every other year but that makes for a tougher schedule.

midastouch11

New York, New York
I don't see more than 6, make a bowl and I'll be pretty damn happy.

I'm with you. I think six wins is the goal, and it's going to mean stealing at least one. Getting to a bowl would also be a huge boost to the program, especially if 2017 is going to be as rough as I expect.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Really hard to predict win total when you have new coaching staff and schemes. Predictions of 5 or 6 wins are reasonable but based on what we know from the Beckman/cubit regime. We could be way worse or even a little better. 4-7 wins.

Agreed tough to predict b/c of new schemes on O and D, BUT our coaching staff has improved and we have so much experience and depth on the D Line and decent depth and experience on the O Line which is where games are won and lost.

UNC would be favored to win the BIG West by many and WMU would compete with most in the BIG. Those are tough matchups against programs on the rise with entrenched coaching staffs and schemes while we will have an experienced roster still learning new schemes. We could win one or both of these games, but no one will be shocked if we lose either or both.

Glad we have a bye before Nebraska. Maybe we can steal one. I think Nebraska will be better another year into Riley's reign, but they're beatable.

Purdue, Rutgers and Minnesota are all winnable games, but could go either way.

Michigan and Wisconsin will be expected losses. I think Wisconsin had a down year last season and will be improved, though their tough conference schedule will keep their record from showing it.

However, MSU, Iowa and the cats will not be as good as last year, so perhaps we win one or more of these match-ups. The team and coaching staff should be in sync when we get to these games in the last month of the season.

Conclusion: Lots of unknown, lots of variables. I love the fact that we have A LOT of experience. That means so much in college football. As a player when you know that this is it, you tend to work harder and focus throughout the entire offseason and each week in practice b/c the end is near. Let's hope our guys have a magical run to a bowl game and win the bowl game to go out on high note.

I do know this. If fans show up and make some noise and create a good environment, it will help the team on good ol' Zuppke Field.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
I've probably been drinking too much orange Koolaid but the only games I'd be surprised if we won are Michigan and Michigan State. I think we have a decent shot in the remaining 10 games.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
These later starts messes up my usual watching, editing, nap, eating schedule. :D

I've probably been drinking too much orange Koolaid but the only games I'd be surprised if we won are Michigan and Michigan State. I think we have a decent shot in the remaining 10 games.

I think there is too much limoncello in your orange koolaid. :)

PaytonHighstep

Downers Grove, IL
I find it interesting that the only B1G games Illinois has at 2:30pm or later so far are on the road. I would hope the B1G gets them an afternoon start at home this season. Maybe the Iowa or MSU home game will come through for a later start time.

trevdv

Champaign
Interesting road schedule... Illini only have to travel out of the state once in the first 5 games and once in the last 5 games. The middle of that schedule is packed with trips to Nebraska, New Jersey, and Michigan.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
To have any kind of decent season they have to beat Purdue at home in game 2 of the conference season and win at Rutgers in game 3. Hopefully Murray State is a lock and then you need to scrape together three more wins somewhere to go bowling.