NBA Draft Thread

Beiilein has never signed a Burger Boy at UM, yet Moritz becomes his 7th first round pick since 2013. Speak about player development.

sacraig

The desert
Beiilein has never signed a Burger Boy at UM, yet Moritz becomes his 7th first round pick since 2013. Speak about player development.

Well, player development or else having a really great eye for underevaluated talent... or both.

cyfairslam

Houston, TX
Kendrick Nunn (NBA Draft thread)

Saw this this morning in B&R

According to Ian Begley of ESPN NBA, the champion Golden State Warriors agreed to a partially guaranteed deal with Oakland guard Kendrick Nunn. Nunn, an Illinois transfer, torched opposing defenses last season in the Horizon League and averaged 25.9 points per game, which was second in the nation.

Congrats to Kendrick......hope things go well for you.

breadman

Herndon, VA
This development is going to be fun to watch going forward! Go Kendrick!

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Cool.

Hopefully he sticks with the team. Good state of Illinois representation with Kendrick, Shaun Livingston and Andre Iggy!

Some quick thoughts on last night's draft.

Luka Doncic may not be the most athletic player, and may not become the best NBA player from this draft. But he is the most fundamentally sound player at this age that I have seen in years in all aspects of his game.

This was probably the "PG's Groce missed" draft. Landry Shamet, Jalen Brunson, Shake Milton all got drafted. I still think Brunson will find a spot in the NBA, despite going 2nd round.

Biggest surprise of the draft, Trevon Duval not getting drafted.

The amazing thing (to me) is that Villanova had three players picked in the first round and none of them were Jalen Brunson. I guess they had some talent.

In that context, it's not hard to understand why Bradzeikis and Castleton chose Ann Arbor... that and numerous deep tournament runs under Beilein. :tsk:

Well, player development or else having a really great eye for underevaluated talent... or both.

It's both.

And FWIW Glenn Robinson III was a five-star recruit and #23 in the RSCI. Not sure why he didn't make McDAA.

Much like Bo Ryan, Beilein gets plenty of highly ranked talent, but it's his ability to scout for fit and develop team execution that sets him apart.

I'll keep saying it, he is the best coach in the Big Ten.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
It's both.

And FWIW Glenn Robinson III was a five-star recruit and #23 in the RSCI. Not sure why he didn't make McDAA.

Much like Bo Ryan, Beilein gets plenty of highly ranked talent, but it's his ability to scout for fit and develop team execution that sets him apart.

Yep. He's taken up the mantle of Bo Ryan now that he's gone. I only hope Brad can become that guy sometime soon, too. If he can develop that reputation, the sky is the limit.

Also, congrats to Kendrick on getting in with a great organization and getting his NBA chance. I hope he's got all his personal issues sorted out. I'm still rooting for him.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Yep. He's taken up the mantle of Bo Ryan now that he's gone. I only hope Brad can become that guy sometime soon, too. If he can develop that reputation, the sky is the limit.

Also, congrats to Kendrick on getting in with a great organization and getting his NBA chance. I hope he's got all his personal issues sorted out. I'm still rooting for him.

I'd take Beilein over Ryan. I think Bo would have a harder time with the way the game is called the last couple of years. Those Wisky teams were famous for beating the crap out of cutters in the lane without getting whistled for them. Ryan was worse than Coach K and Big John Thompson when it came to berating/intimidating/cajoling the refs.

Am I the only one still bitter about the way things went with Nunn? I don’t particularly wish anything bad to happen to him, but I’m not going to root for the guy.

He simply needed to not commit an act of violence against his girlfriend. Then he’s there for his senior year.

Malcolm single-handedly dragged that ‘16-‘17 team to the NIT. It’s not too hard to imagine that Nunn taking some of the scoring weight could have gotten them to the NCAAs and then the last 18 months or so of the basketball program’s history would have been completely different.

Nunn let down his team in a big way. I’m not over that yet.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Am I the only one still bitter about the way things went with Nunn? I don’t particularly wish anything bad to happen to him, but I’m not going to root for the guy.

He simply needed to not commit an act of violence against his girlfriend. Then he’s there for his senior year.

Malcolm single-handedly dragged that ‘16-‘17 team to the NIT. It’s not too hard to imagine that Nunn taking some of the scoring weight could have gotten them to the NCAAs and then the last 18 months or so of the basketball program’s history would have been completely different.

As long as he's learned his lesson I'm willing to give him a second chance. After that it starts to become a pattern and all bets are off. Hopefully he'll be more like Leron and Luther and less like Jereme going forward (though I think with Richmond it may be a true mental health issue).

B1G NBA Draft Picks

surprised Diop picked below Jackson and Huerter from Maryland

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
It's both.

January, February, Izzo....?

8aaad238332fa47cf51028a202f026e0--msu-spartans-michigan.jpg

January, February, Izzo....?

Careful with that opinion, it's an antique.

Tom Izzo's underperformance of his talent level, in all months of the season, has become difficult to ignore. He's a great coach, don't get me wrong, a hall-of-famer, but if I get to hire either one, I'm taking Beilein.

So if Nunn can make it onto the floor, that would mean Illinois had a continuous run of NBA talent from 2010 to 2016. Paul, Leonard, Henry, and Nunn. We went 54-72 in B1G play during that period.

PJD86

Texas
So if Nunn can make it onto the floor, that would mean Illinois had a continuous run of NBA talent from 2010 to 2016. Paul, Leonard, Henry, and Nunn. We went 54-72 in B1G play during that period.

Marginal NBA talent, unfortunately not enough support for those guys

He made a mistake that he regrets. If he was on the team his senior year I believe we would have made the tourney....and JG would still be leading our team. Not sure I believe that would have been best long term.

KN is incredibly tough...,I can see him making it as a role player in NBA.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Careful with that opinion, it's an antique.

Tom Izzo's underperformance of his talent level, in all months of the season, has become difficult to ignore. He's a great coach, don't get me wrong, a hall-of-famer, but if I get to hire either one, I'm taking Beilein.

Not really an opinion, just an expression. I pretty much feel the way you do about it, but I would still put Izzo slightly ahead.
His record with teams not supposed to get to the FF is hard to ignore.

He simply needed to not commit an act of violence against his girlfriend. Then he’s there for his senior year...

... It’s not too hard to imagine that Nunn taking some of the scoring weight could have gotten them to the NCAAs and then the last 18 months or so of the basketball program’s history would have been completely different.

Both Kendrick and Melvin have made public comments suggesting that Kampe was a much better mentor than JG, and pushed Kendrick from being a boy to becoming a man.

To be sure, I have mixed feelings about it. There is zero excuse for domestic violence, ever. Nunn absolutely should have been cut, and what needed to be done was done. But I can't shake the feeling that if Nunn had been shown some tough love instead of friendship bracelets and inspirational ladders, things might have unfolded differently.

Didn’t we have a similar situation in football toward the end of the Zook era—with more NFL starters than any other school despite having an abysmal BIG record in the previous decade ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching the Brandon Paul eruption game on BTN. We had 3 NBA players on the floor that day, Ohio State only had one. And of course, we won in a heck of a performance, and were ranked 22nd the following week.

We finished 6-12 in the B1G, OSU won the conference and went to the Final Four.

But yeah, it's been a lack of talent that has destroyed the program.

Watching the Brandon Paul eruption game on BTN. We had 3 NBA players on the floor that day, Ohio State only had one. And of course, we won in a heck of a performance, and were ranked 22nd the following week.

We finished 6-12 in the B1G, OSU won the conference and went to the Final Four.

But yeah, it's been a lack of talent that has destroyed the program.
Just goes to show...team chemistry and coaching often trumps talent.