NBA Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

britt31

Madison, WI
I very much dislike Krause, but he also deserves credit for building those championship teams! He may have let his ego get in the way towards the end, but you can't take what he built away from him.

illini80

Forgottonia
I very much dislike Krause, but he also deserves credit for building those championship teams! He may have let his ego get in the way towards the end, but you can't take what he built away from him.
You are 100% correct. I wonder which legacy will be the one that endures. It was a different time. Now teams will sell their collective souls for a chance at a championship run. He kicked a championship caliber team out of town. I think that will haunt him more than the credit he deserves. And frankly, he’s just not that likable IMO.

You are 100% correct. I wonder which legacy will be the one that endures. It was a different time. Now teams will sell their collective souls for a chance at a championship run. He kicked a championship caliber team out of town. I think that will haunt him more than the credit he deserves. And frankly, he’s just not that likable IMO.

he told potentially the best coach of all time that even if he went 82-0 he wouldn’t be back.

imagine telling someone at the pinnacle of their profession that even if they were perfect for you for one year you would still fire them. It seems crazy because it is crazy.

There’s another reality where Elton Brand, Ron Artest, Tyson Chandler, Jamal Crawford and Jay Williams are the starting lineup for 8 consecutive Bulls playoff teams from 2004 to 2011 and Jerry Krause is remembered completely differently.

Krause drafted three All Stars, another very good player - all given up on too early and had the bulk of their best years with other teams - and a #2 overall pick who destroyed his career by wrapping his bike around a street lamp.

I should have added that the moral of that story is that’s why you don’t blowup a winning combination. You can acquire great players for years and there’s no guarantee it all comes together into something special.

One other thing I thought about as I drifted of the sleep...

It wasn’t mentioned in the doc yet, but one of the reasons Krause stated he wanted to tear things down is that he didn’t want the Bulls to turn into the 90s Celtics.

But that example never washed because the Celtics were crippled by deaths of both Len Bias and Reggie Lewis. They actually had rebuilt their talent pool on the fly, only to see their best young players die suddenly in their twenties.

The Bulls went a decade between Toni Kukoc and Elton Brand without drafting a single starting quality NBA player. That’s on nobody but Krause.

Bulls hiring Sixers senior VP of player personnel Marc Eversley as the new GM. Eversley also has front office experience with the Raptors and Wizards. He reportedly has strong relationships with players and still has good rapport with guys like DeRozan and Embiid.

Adam Amin named the new TV PBP voice of the Bulls, replacing the retiring Neil Funk: https://www.nba.com/bulls/bulls-name-adam-amin-new-tv-play-play-announcer

Amin spent the past 9 years working at ESPN and was recently hired by Fox Sports to cover NFL, MLB, and potentially college football and college basketball. The team has said that when there is a conflict with his national duties, they will have a substitute PBP announcer. No word yet on how this will affect Amin's duties as Bears preseason PBP voice.

NBA Board of Governors expected to approve a plan for a 22-team return: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/292 ... ason-games

Among the details of the return:
-13 Western Conference teams and nine Eastern Conference teams
-Eight regular-season games
-The top 16 teams in the Eastern and Western conferences will be joined by teams currently within six games of eighth place in the two conferences (New Orleans, Portland, San Antonio, Sacramento, Phoenix and Washington)
-A play-in tournament that will include the No. 8 and No. 9 teams -- if the ninth seed finishes the regular season within four games of the eighth, sources said. In that case, the No. 8 seed enters a double-elimination tournament, and the No. 9 seed a single-elimination tournament
-Teams will begin training at team sites in July and advance to full training camps in Orlando later that month

NBA Board of Governors has approved plan by a vote of 29-1 to restart season on July 31 in Orlando. Woj also reporting that NBA Draft Lottery will take place August 25th with the NBA Draft taking place October 15th.

I don't seem to have new thread posting privileges, and don't know where this would belong otherwise, but would anyone else enjoy a thread on Illini pro players outside the NBA?

It would make for a great Wiki IMO. Just in my time following the Illini there have been a number of outstanding players that were borderline NBA where there was discussion throughout their final season or leading into the draft about them having a shot. Not sure if Dan has any interest in expanding beyond message board functionality, but that kind of info becomes more relevant to discussion around draft time, and I'm sure there are many other topics that would similarly benefit.

I don't seem to have new thread posting privileges, and don't know where this would belong otherwise, but would anyone else enjoy a thread on Illini pro players outside the NBA?

It would make for a great Wiki IMO. Just in my time following the Illini there have been a number of outstanding players that were borderline NBA where there was discussion throughout their final season or leading into the draft about them having a shot. Not sure if Dan has any interest in expanding beyond message board functionality, but that kind of info becomes more relevant to discussion around draft time, and I'm sure there are many other topics that would similarly benefit.

Why not make an actual wiki article and share it here for contributions?

Miami Heat's Meyers Leonard chooses to stand during national anthem

"I [was] aware some of the backlash that could happen. I understand. However, I believe in my heart that I did the right thing," Leonard told Spears. "Our world right now is black and white. There is a line in the sand, and it says if I don't kneel, then I'm not with Black Lives Matter. That is not true."

"I understand that [kneeling during the anthem] is not about the flag and the military, but to me, it is. Based upon real-life experiences and real raw emotion that I've had in my life, that is what that means to me," said Leonard, who was wearing military-style boots, backpack and mask.

He added: "And I'm hopeful that people that don't know me can either learn or ask. I did in my heart what was right to me."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29579676/miami-heat-meyers-leonard-chooses-stand-national-anthem

illini80

Forgottonia
Miami Heat's Meyers Leonard chooses to stand during national anthem

"I [was] aware some of the backlash that could happen. I understand. However, I believe in my heart that I did the right thing," Leonard told Spears. "Our world right now is black and white. There is a line in the sand, and it says if I don't kneel, then I'm not with Black Lives Matter. That is not true."

"I understand that [kneeling during the anthem] is not about the flag and the military, but to me, it is. Based upon real-life experiences and real raw emotion that I've had in my life, that is what that means to me," said Leonard, who was wearing military-style boots, backpack and mask.

He added: "And I'm hopeful that people that don't know me can either learn or ask. I did in my heart what was right to me."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29579676/miami-heat-meyers-leonard-chooses-stand-national-anthem
I think he handled himself well and I also think the shaming that some are doing is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.