NCAA abandons RPI, adopts new ranking system

Dan

Admin
Division I Men’s Basketball Committee adopts new ranking system

"The NCAA has developed a new ranking system to replace the RPI as the primary sorting tool for evaluating teams during the Division I men’s basketball season."

"The NCAA Evaluation Tool, which will be known as the NET, relies on game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses."

"In addition, a cap of 10 points was applied to the winning margin to prevent rankings from encouraging unsportsmanlike play, such as needlessly running up the score in a game where the outcome was certain."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...-mens-basketball-committee-adopts-new-ranking

Plenty of unsportsmanlike play is possible within a 10 point margin, more really, but whatever.

The old way of doing things was total garbage, so at least we're moving in a better direction.

Division I Men’s Basketball Committee adopts new ranking system

"The NCAA has developed a new ranking system to replace the RPI as the primary sorting tool for evaluating teams during the Division I men’s basketball season."

"The NCAA Evaluation Tool, which will be known as the NET, relies on game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses."

"In addition, a cap of 10 points was applied to the winning margin to prevent rankings from encouraging unsportsmanlike play, such as needlessly running up the score in a game where the outcome was certain."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...-mens-basketball-committee-adopts-new-ranking

Seems like an improvement, although the scoring margin component is, for me, problematic. I like the idea that those situations were subjective debates in the selection room.

And I liked the mantra: Who did you play, and who did you beat?
It's not the same when it's: Who did you play, and who did you lose to by less than 10 points?

The system will use kenpom, sagarin and ESPN BPI.
It sure sounded a lot like KenPom to me and I know that Sagarin tends to rank teams about the same as KenPom once there is a meaningful base of games. ESPN? I know nothing about them, as they are so bad at so many stat things that I don't even try their stuff.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
It sure sounded a lot like KenPom to me and I know that Sagarin tends to rank teams about the same as KenPom once there is a meaningful base of games. ESPN? I know nothing about them, as they are so bad at so many stat things that I don't even try their stuff.

Please, allow me...

tenor.gif

The system will use kenpom, sagarin and ESPN BPI.

One of these does not belong.

Seriously, I wonder how ESPN managed to wedge themselves in there? Doesn't CBS have the rights to the tournament for a while?

To clarify, kenpom, sagarin, and BPI will be provided to the committee. The NET does not incorporate them or "use" them.

The predictive elements are part of the team sheet and were added on last year.