NCAA hammers Mizzou on academic fraud case

NCAA is an absolute joke. No integrity. That committee that came up for suggestions on how to improve college athletics needed to look no further than the NCAA itself.

Mizzou cooperated and agreed that there were violations, and they got the prescribed punishments for the level of violations they agreed to. UNC said that there were no violations. So lessons of the day are: 1) be a blue blood, and 2) LIE, LIE, LIE, and then...LIE SOME MORE.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Mizzou cooperated and agreed that there were violations, and they got the prescribed punishments for the level of violations they agreed to. UNC said that there were no violations. So lessons of the day are: 1) be a blue blood, and 2) LIE, LIE, LIE, and then...LIE SOME MORE.

Honestly when I see something like this it makes me more frustrated at UNC and the NCAA than Mizzou. When I saw the headline I felt some level of schadenfreude against Mizzou (what Illini fan wouldn't), but after reading the article, not so much anymore. I feel like we could just as easily have been in those shoes with the same level of punishment, or worse, because well, Illinois...

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
we might even get probation for something as humanitarian and honorable as buying a poor kid or two from California a $60 winter coat so they could stay warm in temps like these.....................

wait....................., we did

that's how much the NCAA hates us

This was at the height of the hunger strike, refuse to play, Pinkel resigns era. Yolanda put on her facebook page that she had provided illegal tutoring benefits forcing Mizzou to self report whether they wanted to or not.

It was a very chaotic circular firing squad time in Mizzou athletics.

Deleted member 633632

D
Honestly when I see something like this it makes me more frustrated at UNC and the NCAA than Mizzou. When I saw the headline I felt some level of schadenfreude against Mizzou (what Illini fan wouldn't), but after reading the article, not so much anymore. I feel like we could just as easily have been in those shoes with the same level of punishment, or worse, because well, Illinois...

schadenfreude....

I just want to have a spelling bee around this word now!

"Please spell "schadenfreude"...

Uuuummm definition please? Can you use it in a sentence?

"When I, a Fighting Illini fan, so the headline, I felt some level of schadenfreude against Mizzou!"

(Me at the Spelling Bee)... I quit!! 😭😭

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
schadenfreude....

I just want to have a spelling bee around this word now!

"Please spell "schadenfreude"...

Uuuummm definition please? Can you use it in a sentence?

"When I, a Fighting Illini fan, so the headline, I felt some level of schadenfreude against Mizzou!"

(Me at the Spelling Bee)... I quit!! 😭😭
You must not have been a fan of Seinfeld. ;)

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO

It's astounding to compare Mizzou's penalty for a rogue tutor to the lack of penalties against North Carolina for the academic fraud that occurred there. The rationalization for no penalties against North Carolina, that their sham courses were offered to both athlete's and non-athletes, is ludicrous. Here's an article on the NCAA's North Carolina investigation outcome:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...th-carolina-scandal-ncaa-violations-sanctions

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
The rationalization for no penalties against North Carolina, that their sham courses were offered to both athlete's and non-athletes, is ludicrous.

That's incorrectly stating it. The fraud, such as it was, in the UNC case was not in the athletic department, and the NCAA only governs athletic departments. They stepped out of their lane in the Penn State case (a blue blood if there ever was one), and they weren't going to make that mistake again.

What happened here happens at every single school in the country, very much including Illinois, on an everyday basis. College sports is an ugly business. The only lesson you take from this is you got be careful who your whistleblowers might be.

A rogue employee takes down a program, while UNC has institutional academic fraud. NCAA has clearly taken sides, if your a blue blood you are fine. As an Illini fan this worries me that this could be us...again.

A rogue employee takes down a program, while UNC has institutional academic fraud. NCAA has clearly taken sides, if your a blue blood you are fine. As an Illini fan this worries me that this could be us...again.

I think it is a reminder that money cures all for the NCAA

USC, a major football blue blood, took a suspension over the Reggie Bush mess.