NCAA says athletes may profit from name, image and likeness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank god, can't wait to play with the new Illini unis in both NCAA Football and Basketball! Also, I'd bet we'd get the real life rosters! This is huge!!!

sacraig

The desert
Changes? Sure, sure

This article points out what the actual text reads, and says there's very little to the statement other than PR. As I said earlier, I don't expect they will change willilngly.

I disagree with your pessimism (or the pessimism of the article's author). Yes, nothing has yet changed, but even though the actual action today was not a bylaws change, they literally said out loud that they are going to determine a way for athletes to get paid for their name and likeness. That they also said "consistent with the collegiate model" is obvious since they are regulating collegiate athletics and don't want it to devolve into just another set of professional leagues. True, the NCAA could still screw this up royally, but the fact that they said those words publicly to me indicates they aren't operating in bad faith. Maybe not 100% good faith, but not bad faith.

What parity? In basketball, 16 of the last 20 championships have been won by teams currently ranked in the top 11 of the AP poll. UConn has 3 of the other 4 and then Syracuse. There are over 350 teams in D1 basketball, 15 of them run the show. In football 15 of the last 20 championships have been won by teams currently ranked in the top 11 of the AP poll. The same teams are at the top all of the time right now.
Feel like this post needs more attention, thanks for pointing this out. Parity is already dead.

I disagree with your pessimism (or the pessimism of the article's author). Yes, nothing has yet changed, but even though the actual action today was not a bylaws change, they literally said out loud that they are going to determine a way for athletes to get paid for their name and likeness. That they also said "consistent with the collegiate model" is obvious since they are regulating collegiate athletics and don't want it to devolve into just another set of professional leagues. True, the NCAA could still screw this up royally, but the fact that they said those words publicly to me indicates they aren't operating in bad faith. Maybe not 100% good faith, but not bad faith.

It's true that I believe the NCAA will only work towards its own self-interest. I don't think of it as pessimism, but no problem if you disagree. Heck, maybe they've seen the light. But consider what it's taken so far to move the NCAA:

1. NCAA was found to be restraining trade in losing the O'Bannon lawsuit. That was filed in 2009, and the appeal was over in 2015.
2. There are other lawsuits in process, one of which is being presided over by the same judge
3. The public hates the cesspool that NCAA rules have spawned, and the bad PR of scandals has gone from a drip to continuous stream.
4. States know the NCAA wouldn't willingly change, so they're forcing it with their own remedies.
5. NCAA has never given up on the capped expense model, even after the ruling, and every year they delay is more money to them.

So in 2019, they release a statement that if you parse it, you see massive holes.....
In my view, saying they've changed would be like saying a convict changed because he was dragged to his prison cell, and then released a statement that he will comply with the court's judgment despite his innocence. :ROFLMAO:

sacraig

The desert
It's true that I believe the NCAA will only work towards its own self-interest. I don't think of it as pessimism, but no problem if you disagree. Heck, maybe they've seen the light. But consider what it's taken so far to move the NCAA:

1. NCAA was found to be restraining trade in losing the O'Bannon lawsuit. That was filed in 2009, and the appeal was over in 2015.
2. There are other lawsuits in process, one of which is being presided over by the same judge
3. The public hates the cesspool that NCAA rules have spawned, and the bad PR of scandals has gone from a drip to continuous stream.
4. States know the NCAA wouldn't willingly change, so they're forcing it with their own remedies.
5. NCAA has never given up on the capped expense model, even after the ruling, and every year they delay is more money to them.

So in 2019, they release a statement that if you parse it, you see massive holes.....
In my view, saying they've changed would be like saying a convict changed because he was dragged to his prison cell, and then released a statement that he will comply with the court's judgment despite his innocence. :ROFLMAO:

In this I definitely agree, but I think that moving toward letting players take money for name and likeness is in the NCAA's best interest and I think (hope?) this means they've realized that. Personally, I think they've been obviously incredibly resistant, but as soon as the California law was publicized, it forced the issue because the NCAA will lose the West Coast as a meaningful income source if they don't play ball and they know this. Meanwhile, other states are seriously considering following suit with their own legislation in the works, so the NCAA could lose a lot more than that if they don't make this move.

Therefore, I think they know this and the vague language here is more for avoiding boxing themselves in a corner on how this is implemented rather than to allow it to not take place at all. Lawmakers have already soured on the NCAA's BS, and the last thing they need is to blatantly give those groups the finger like that.

Sounds like we're seeing the same thing --maybe splitting hairs over how we say it.

I still wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA chooses some procedural point to water this down or delay it until forced to comply.

sacraig

The desert
I think we are seeing the same thing regarding the NCAA's motivations for acting, but not necessarily in agreement over how that motivation is playing out. Time will tell, I suppose. I think they've painted themselves into a corner over the years and this is just worded to try to grab whatever regulatory authority they have left and hold onto it rather than ceding it to state legislatures.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I have heard several people (outside of loyalty) stating the same things against players being paid for their likeness or from the NCAA "well this will just make it so the schools with the most money win from now on" and "get ready to see the same 5 schools win every year"

Is this not what we are stuck with already?

Question:

who IS the NCAA? I understand it’s all about the money/cash cow. But, who are the shareholders to get the money?

Question:

who IS the NCAA? I understand it’s all about the money/cash cow. But, who are the shareholders to get the money?
It is an notprofit association of colleges and universities. The members schools (sometimes conferences) get the excess funds.

Question:

NCAA = The universities. Unfortunately, like any large organized monopoly, it has plenty of graft. The sports arms of the Universities needs an umbrella association to manage all the rules, logistics and other business that spans the entire group. If you think of it as a separate organization representing the university presidents, you'd be pretty close IMO.

NCAA is both big schools and little schools, and for most purposes each one gets the same vote. There are more little schools than big ones, and it seems the little ones are more enamored of the old school ideal of amateurism.

illini80

Forgottonia
On one hand I don’t have a problem with this, but to think it’s going to eliminate any cheating is naive at best. The best thing about this is that people with morals that actually want to do things right now have an option. The IRS may be the only one trying to enforce any rules now that it is taxable and we all know most of the money will not be reported. If I give a kid $100 cash for an autograph, whats the NCAA gonna do? Punish the school because I didn’t fill out the right form?

Maybe a poor analogy, but look the the pot industry where it is legal. There is more illegal trade and growing than ever before because you make a whole lot more money when you don’t pay any fees or taxes on it.

Again, good for the kids. But if you think we’ve solved any compliance issues, your dreaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.