NCAA Tournament Bracketology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extracted from the Gasaway ESPN article here's a summary with teams playing today highlighted.
21 - 1 Bid Leagues
29 - Locks (Lose out and still be safe)
7 - Should be In

- Texas Tech
- Marquette
- Rutgers
- Arizona State
- LSU
- Florida
- Saint Mary's

27 Bubble Teams Competing for 11 Spots

NC State
Clemson
Oklahoma
Texas
Providence
Xavier
Indiana
Purdue
USC
Stanford
UCLA
Miss. State
Arkansas
South Carolina
Alabama
Wichita State
Cincinnati
Memphis
East Tenn State
Utah State
Northern Iowa
Richmond
Rhode Island
Stephen F Austin
Furman
Liberty
Yale

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Maybe I don’t understand the ranking but I interpret these rating as meaning it is more competitive not weaker.
Two sides of the same coin. Fewer and less dominant teams means competition (parity) will be higher.

Non con doesn't matter. If they don't look at conference games as more important than non con, then the reverse applies, they are no more important. Our six current road wins is huge and we have a chance to make it 5 Quad 1A wins tonight 7 road wins overall. Who can match that?
But it's a fact that the committee doesn't even look at conference standing. So people complaining about Migh having a higher seed when we beat them twice and are higher in the B10 aren't looking at things objectively. The look at the entire resume and ours isn't as strong as others because of our non-con. Our best wins have all been big ten wins and while that great we don't have top tier wins like gonzaga or seton hall.

Sources: The NBA has sent a memo to its franchises explaining that, due to coronavirus outbreak, teams should be preparing to play games without fans in attendance and identifying “essential staff” present for these games -

Biden was close, but off on Virginia (for sure) and Oklahoma (probably). I enjoyed the way he said Minnesota, though.
Hopefully he has Carolina wrong as well, Hopefully last in the ACC keeps them at home watching this year

There are oddities to Lunardi's bracket, such as Bradley winning the MVC tournament and both Bradley and Northern Iowa making the tournament from the MVC.
On second llok i doubt Northern Iowa makes it. He has them as the last one and and i am sure some will jump them and bump them with upsets in these tournaments

GallopingGhost

Denver, CO
So pumped we got this win. This likely seals us as at a 7 seed or better in the tournament which I care much more about than the BTT

They only won by two at home against a really good team. Wonder how far they will they will drop on Kenpom.
So I was wrong. Illinois moved from 31 to 30 on the site. However, the basketball team is rated lower than Minnesota,Rutgers, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan and Penn State I believe. With all due respect to all you statistical
megadata geeks,Illinois has beaten all those teams. WTF.

So I was wrong. Illinois moved from 31 to 30 on the site. However, the basketball team is rated lower than Minnesota,Rutgers, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan and Penn State I believe. With all due respect to all you statistical
It just shows that a computer can't rank teams. Victory margin can be impacted by meaningless last minute baskets. Teams get better or worse over the course of the year. I hope they are smart enough to see that on the committee.

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
Honestly I'm just glad today's win absolutely guarantees us a spot in the tourney. I was worried that if we lost our final three to tOSU, Iowa, and say Minn that they would find a way to have us on the outside looking in. 0-1 in the B1G still gets us in. Now beat Iowa again so I can have bragging rights over my neighbors.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Our weak non-con SOS is the big factor there.

You guys love to crap on rankings when they don't look good for your team. I guarantee you there will come a time when our record doesn't look good but our NET ranking is high and all of you will be saying "but, but, but look at our NET ranking".

That's what Purdue is saying right now.

You guys love to crap on rankings when they don't look good for your team. I guarantee you there will come a time when our record doesn't look good but our NET ranking is high and all of you will be saying "but, but, but look at our NET ranking".

That's what Purdue is saying right now.
They don’t make sense.... they penalize teams for being consistent and not having blow outs. But reward teams for losses, but have blowouts ? Doesn’t make sense. Penalize us for having the best conference in basketball, but reward teams like Kansas and Baylor for having 2 teams ranked in a crappy conference for blow outs? Not trying to argue just saying logic doesn’t add up.

They don’t make sense.... they penalize teams for being consistent and not having blow outs. But reward teams for losses, but have blowouts ? Doesn’t make sense. Penalize us for having the best conference in basketball, but reward teams like Kansas and Baylor for having 2 teams ranked in a crappy conference for blow outs? Not trying to argue just saying logic doesn’t add up.

Your first mistake is talking about conferences. NET doesn't pay any attention to what conference you're in. Kansas has 12 Quad 1 wins and 8 of those are on the road. Also zero bad losses. They are not a good example.

Duke on the other hand....not sure how they are ranked so high. It has to be their 3 top 10 wins. Which is frustrating because 2 of those came very early in the year.

Sources: The NBA has sent a memo to its franchises explaining that, due to coronavirus outbreak, teams should be preparing to play games without fans in attendance and identifying “essential staff” present for these games -

As I watched Ayo highfiving fans today, I was thinking that just what we need is for one or more of our players to be affected over the next few weeks. Illinois staff should be isolating our players on a social basis for the next few weeks. It would suck to not make a decent showing because Ayo, Kofi or any of our other contributing players is sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.