NCAA Tournament Canceled

Man, what a bummer.

Reactions: Actionjackson, Illini_1979, Fighter of the Nightman and 2 others
boooooooo. Didn't the big10 used to show Esports? let's get that going again, I guess. 🔶🔷🔶🔷

Reactions: the national, mini30fan and Bucktown
What a travesty......this is extremely upsetting. I understand the reasoning but it just seems like bad timing for Illinois sports. We had just turned the corner.

Reactions: the national, OskeeGirl, Actionjackson and 2 others
Can't get any more Illinois than this :rage::rage::rage:

Reactions: spillini, the national, OskeeGirl and 13 others
Such a bummer but of course in the best interest for those involved given recent developments. Will not take away from the memories of this season and how it flipped the script on where Illini basketball is

Reactions: Efrem Winters fan, Illiniguy13 and LvilleILL
Not surprised. Let's all get through this, and remember this great year.

Reactions: Efrem Winters fan and LvilleILL
We will be back next year!! Going to be even better and have much more depth. This opens the door for Ayo to come back a little bit more. It will depend on what scouts say. Regardless, we are in a good place and will have a preseason top 25 ranking.

Reactions: antwix
Congratulations to the team on the great season and turning the program around. Very disappointing way to end it as I've always said this team had Final Four potential, but this was probably the right choice. I'd hate for any of the guys to get the virus over a game.

Reactions: Godard, TruIllini89, Illini_1979 and 1 other person
Also on a side note, what if they give athletes another year of eligibility. Will not probably happen, but something to think abt.

Reactions: AustinIllini and Illini John
Dang

Attachments

• illini-iu-05.gif
    illini-iu-05.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 177
Reactions: soupy17
As a Bradley fan and Illinois Fan, this makes me infinitely sad.

Reactions: the national, KnoxIllini2 and Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA
The logistics of trying to ensure that every person involved in every game was virus free going in to it would have been daunting. The optics if someone got sick and then spread the virus in their community would have been terrible.

I hate this as a fan, I hate it for the players, coaches, and staff, but it's the right thing to do. Life can and will go on without sports for a month or so. I'm not sure how, but I'll be trying to figure that out over the weekend. Something tells me that my "honey-do" list is going to get dusted off.

Reactions: OrangeNBrood, chiefini, IanKEvans2 and 2 others
There's a frustration involved with realizing it's probably the right choice. I want to be mad at someone or something, but better to be overly cautious than not cautious enough. Til next year

Reactions: IlliniCaboose, Fighter of the Nightman, antwix and 3 others
Think you could have played without spectators. Emmert is consummate rear end covering politician.
You can't do that. If one player has it and doesn't know and it spreads among players who are in close proximity to each other than it would be a disaster for the players and the NCAA.

Reactions: BirdDog9048 and Ransom Stoddard
Wow, no words.

Man, I really feel for these kids. Kids that could have used that stage to help them make millions of dollars, and help take care of their families and it's taken away from them.

Reactions: OskeeGirl, chiefini, Whitmans Sampler and 4 others
selfishly devastated here.

Thank you Illinois Basketball for a great year. You provided me with hope and excitement throughout this season. I will hold some incredible memories from this past season. I haven’t begun to even think about what lies ahead. Wasn’t ready for this. Most importantly, I wish all of the team luck going forward. The amount of disappointment I feel that Andres, Kipper, Tyler, and Samson will never play for the Illini again is almost inexplicable. Thank you. All of you.

Go Illini

Reactions: OskeeGirl, ROFOIllini, Actionjackson and 5 others
You can't do that. If one player has it and doesn't know and it spreads among players who are in close proximity to each other than it would be a disaster for the players and the NCAA.

No one wants to take the blame for it if something happened. That's what it comes down to.

Reactions: Actionjackson and Halloweenie
I love the tournament, we all do, but in the end they are just games. Having seen pictures of what is going on in Italy and China, this is the prudent thing to do.

Reactions: greyghost70, IanKEvans2 and TruIllini89
How do we start a petition to still have the selection show? Can we at least have an official record of who would have made the tourney this year? That's half of what we Illini fans needed to see :cry:

Reactions: LeinieGuy, the national, OskeeGirl and 7 others
The amount of disappointment I feel that Andres, Kipper, Tyler, and Samson will never play for the Illini again is almost inexplicable.

You better believe there will be appeals for 5th years to the NCAA from multiple schools, it is already being discussed for many kids.

Reactions: the national and MoCoMdIllini
So few are being tested that they cannot guarantee the players’ safety. If this was golf and the players could be kept separate, playing could be considered. This is not the case here when using a common ball, bench/chairs, water bottles, rim, backboard, etc.

Reactions: LeinieGuy and Ransom Stoddard