NCAA Tournament Canceled

the national

the Front Range
Many companies are doing exactly this.
Mine halted all domestic travel, good thing for me as I was going to travel to Washington state. Had been worried about that trip. A few others from my office came in contact with some TSA agents who tested positive in California. they were in our office today until they heard the news. They are now self quarantining now but they may have exposed our whole office of 150. Didn’t really hit home until that was shared internally.

To put this in perspective on the severity of the thing... if the low estimate of the infection rate bears out at 40% of the population and we achieve S Korea mortality rate of .7%, that will still kill 918,400 Americans.

That’s why we have to do everything possible to keep that infection rate well, well below 40%. And that means cutting down on unnecessary physical interaction.
Exactly. And the low mortality rate is achieved only by testing and slowing the growth rate to a minimum so the medical system can handle the most at risk. If we do nothing and the infection rate is super high, the medical system will be unable to respond to everyone's needs and the mortality rate skyrockets. I suspect our country is ill prepared and the after action report will include a lot of fingerpointing and scapegoating. We're all in this together... I miss basketball already.

Loved this team. Wanted to see them get the chance to make some noise in the BTT and the NCAAs. Sad that they won't be getting the chance. Not the first time this has happened at the UI. Gene Vance was a high school classmate of my aunt and uncle. IIRC it was his 1943 team (Whiz Kids) that were considered the number 1 team in the nation. That team gave up the chance for a championship and went to fight in WWII. At least our guys won't be dodging bullets this time.

As for Covid-19, this isn't the flu or close to it - asymptomatic transmission, a transmission rate of at least twice as high as the flu, airborne transmission, a mortality rate that could be anywhere from about 1% to 4% or more (SARS was initially thought to have a 2% fatality rate, but was revised up to between 8 and 10 by the time it was done). South Korea has had a large number of young people affected and their rate is lower than what we can reasonably expect. At a 1% mortality rate that means about 1.5 million dead in the US if 40% are affected. Given the CDC's failure to make testing readily available (a huge failure of the American people which I hope was just a matter of incompetence), we have no idea how bad this might be. The State of Ohio came out today and said they are concerned that they may have as many as 100,000 people affected. This is likely a gross overestimate. But by the time broadly available testing is available that number may not be out of line. The number of infected doubles about every 6.1 days. Some mathematical models have the US with 20 million cases by sometime in May. When in May that happens depends of the social distancing steps taken. Hopefully we can reduce that by the extreme steps being taken, and hopefully warm weather will reduce the transmission like it did with SARS.

In Italy where there are more ICU beds per capita than the US, it has already come to rationing of health care in some areas. If you are over 60, you don't get a respirator, just a spot in the hallway of the hospital to live or die. As someone over 60, I find that rather frightening. I have been social distancing for over three weeks now, even though Alaska just found its first confirmed case today.

Congratulations to the team on the great season and turning the program around. Very disappointing way to end it as I've always said this team had Final Four potential, but this was probably the right choice. I'd hate for any of the guys to get the virus over a game.
They were extremely fun to watch. Love your positive focus!

GallopingGhost

Denver, CO
They should do selection Sunday just for fun. Let people play out the tournament in their own fantasies at least. Would 7seed Illinois have beaten 10 seed UCLA? We crush them in my head. ILL 89-UCLA 64

Give this a couple of months. Hopefully the people that keep saying this is an overreaction are going to realize how bad of a look that is when the death toll in the US starts climbing.

Hopefully the people who thought it was an overreaction still think it is an overreaction because the death toll is low.

If we think it is an overreaction in 6 months then the precautions taken were effective.

Last edited:
Not sure if this goes here, the NCAA now has plenty of time to go after Kansas, Arizona and Auburn. They have stayed quite but, now NO excuse clean up the sport and penalize the schools who where cheating per the investigation. They can do this and it won‘t make major headlines.

Hopefully the people who thought it was an overreaction still think it is an overreaction because the death toll is low.

If we think it is an overreaction in 6 months then the precautions taken were effective.
Bingo. The goal is to feel like this was an overreaction at the end of the day.

Similar comments made already, but here’s the bright side. Every single good or great season for the Illini in my lifetime has ended with a loss. This season ended with our BIG Freshman of the Year stuffing the possible National POY to win a game against the whiniest bunch of cornfed, inbred, a-holes we know.
ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 29907

D
Had to get my Illini fix today so I rewatched the Iowa game. My take after watching it is that CJ Fredrick’s statement of getting fouled on every play could not be more absurd. A large percentage of possessions he’s standing outside the 3 point line and not touched by anyone.
He's a tool.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Would have really liked to see how the B1G did too. How many B1G teams do you all think would have made it to the sweet 16?

Edit: my guess would be 6 or even 7. This conference was just so stacked this year.

Would have really liked to see how the B1G did too. How many B1G teams do you all think would have made it to the sweet 16?

Edit: my guess would be 6 or even 7. This conference was just so stacked this year.
That's what I was looking forward to, too. A bunch of teams from the B1G could have made the second weekend. I'd have loved to see it.

I think that's one of the most important issues. A doctor at a major hospital in my area said they got 300 tests, which is tiny compared to the need.
By contrast, I talked to a friend in Germany, and they said they can go through a drive-through and get tested (and at no cost).

'Merica!!
We will have drive thru tests at Walmart target Walgreens this coming week. And one is at a Barrington hospital today.

We need shirts like these.... team and saying revised, of course.

Attachments

• D0E1381C-3690-4222-88EB-35B5AD6B68DA.png
    D0E1381C-3690-4222-88EB-35B5AD6B68DA.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 484
  • 2CF4BDB3-1993-4912-B482-9F33F8D76E0C.png
    2CF4BDB3-1993-4912-B482-9F33F8D76E0C.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 469