NCAA Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to eagerly look forward to selection Sunday. It’s lost it’s luster without Illinois being part of the conversation. Maybe next year☺️

Boy ain't that the truth. Used to be my favorite time of the year. Now it's hard to get up much enthusiasm.:tsk:

Deleted member 29907

D
ND beat Witchita State, Syracuse, Florida State, Virginia Tech. They were KenPom 31, two teams higher in KenPom did not make it (St. Mary’s and Penn State.) Alabama was KenPom 51, Oklahoma 47, St. Bonaventure 69, etc., etc. BPI 33, same story. ND had a case as legit as all the other bubble teams. As will all the bubble teams, they could have won a couple more games too.

I would not make an argument for Alabama or Oklahoma and Syracuse should not have been in IMO either. The win over Tech, while it was a win, was only due to an epic Illini type drought by VaTech. I watched the whole game in grim Illini-like 21 point blown lead fashion. It was really not ND rather VaTech - however, of course, still a win. Incidentally they split with Tech during the year. Lost to GaTech, etc. So you can pick games to make the case - and pick games against the case.

They finished 11th (8-10) in the ACC - are you saying the 11th team in the ACC should be in the tourney?

ALL of the discussion in watching over the last two weeks has been "if they had Colson in all season" that was, if you look at my post - the argument I was addressing. No one was addressing their performance - and their RPI was what 70???

Virginia, Gonzaga, Villanova, MSU in Final Four is my initial thought will change several times before Thursday.

Dark Horse picks that might do some damage. Auburn ( I know), Miami, Houston, Texas Tech.

I really question the concept that all wins are equal and November/December wins should count the same as later wins. The objective should be to pick the teams that have the best chance to win the tournament, period. Do Arizona State's early wins mean much given what they've done over the past three months? It's called March Madness, not November Madness. Rant over.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
I can see Notre Dame and Syracuse not making it. But picking Syracuse over ND makes 0 sense. ND even beat them without Farrel or Bonzie.

Virginia, Gonzaga, Villanova, MSU in Final Four is my initial thought will change several times before Thursday.

Dark Horse picks that might do some damage. Auburn ( I know), Miami, Houston, Texas Tech.
ITYOTS....I think you're on to something.

Kentucky looked very good to finish season too.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

Midwest is brutal....Kansas, Duke, MSU, Aub...I could see NM state knocking off clemson (#12 vs #5)...Ill take MSU in the rematch over Duke.

West looks weakest with Xavier #1 limping into tourney after losing to Providence in conf tourney. I can see Michigan giving NC a run on their side of west bracket. Oh St has a chance against Xavier on the other side of West if they can get past Gonzaga.

May see Sexton vs Brunson in East round 2

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

I would not make an argument for Alabama or Oklahoma and Syracuse should not have been in IMO either. The win over Tech, while it was a win, was only due to an epic Illini type drought by VaTech. I watched the whole game in grim Illini-like 21 point blown lead fashion. It was really not ND rather VaTech - however, of course, still a win. Incidentally they split with Tech during the year. Lost to GaTech, etc. So you can pick games to make the case - and pick games against the case.

They finished 11th (8-10) in the ACC - are you saying the 11th team in the ACC should be in the tourney?

ALL of the discussion in watching over the last two weeks has been "if they had Colson in all season" that was, if you look at my post - the argument I was addressing. No one was addressing their performance - and their RPI was what 70???

The committee has taken injuries into account before; it would not have been unprecedented.

ND was 10th in the ACC, Syracuse was 11th. Some metrics point to ND and others as getting hosed, others don't. I believe RPI is considered the most flawed of the metrics...

If I were in charge I would have left out Syracuse and St. Bonaventure, at a minimum, and put in ND and USC. They all would probably lose in the first round, but I think ND and USC are better teams. Not even close, actually.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
ND was 10th in the ACC, Syracuse was 11th. Some metrics point to ND and others as getting hosed, others don't. I believe RPI is considered the most flawed of the metrics...

Not to mention that ND beat Syracuse at Syracuse. Even with injuries. Just makes no sense. Oh well I guess.

How does Oklahoma State not get in and Oklahoma does? OK ST. beat Oklahoma TWICE. Beat Kansas TWICE! Beat West Virginia. They had other good wins as well. They {NCAA} are corrupt.:mad:

Nebraska with a 13-5 BIG record doesn't get in? Holy crap this is the worst job by a committee ever. They made an effort to display the top freshmen. St Mary's got screwed to. A 9-9 record would get you in the past with some snubs at 10-8. We will need more than 22 wins next year after seeing what happened to the Huskers.

I hate Duke. And Grayson Allen has made it very easy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4723

D
How far have we fallen? Look no further than that b-ball hot-bed Rhode Island. They not only get in without an automatic bid but stayed ranked in the Top 25. When we grow up, we want to be .........Rhode Island??:eek::eek::eek:

Nebraska with a 13-5 BIG record doesn't get in? Holy crap this is the worst job by a committee ever. They made an effort to display the top freshmen. St Mary's got screwed to. A 9-9 record would get you in the past with some snubs at 10-8. We will need more than 22 wins next year after seeing what happened to the Huskers.

Nebraska's record is normally in the lockbox territory for a B1G team but this year it wasn't. Going into the conference tournament, they only had 1 group win and 2 group 2 wins, and only played 11 games in either of those groups all season. Their non-conference SOS (279) was absolutely abysmal. They were 4-7 on the road and only had one win over a probable tournament team (Michigan).

St. Mary's had a win over Gonzaga as their marquee win and that's about it.

There's also this involving the Gaels: https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/972969910614872064;
https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/972978597626556417

Kinda hard to get any more marquee wins when you're passing on opportunities to get them.

Announce teams for the opening weekend have been revealed: https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-tip-times-announcer-teams-matchups-channels/

For convenience's sake, here's who you'll hear at each site:
-Dayton (Tuesday): Spero Dedes, Steve Smith, Len Elmore, Ros-Gold Onwude
-Dayton (Wednesday): Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, Allie LaForce
-Pittsburgh: Kevin Harlan, Reggie Miller, Dan Bonner, Dana Jacobson
-Dallas: Spero Dedes, Steve Smith, Len Elmore, Ros-Gold Onwude
-Boise: Brian Anderson, Chris Webber, Lisa Byington
-Wichita: Brad Nessler, Steve Lavin, Evan Washburn
-Charlotte: Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson
-Detroit: Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, Allie LaForce
-San Diego: Carter Blackburn, Debbie Antonelli, John Schiffren
-Nashville: Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas, Jamie Erdahl

I have a Final Four (and this pains me) of UNC, Duke, Virginia and Purdue.
But there is a silver lining ! Purdue wins the whole thing.

Yes, I might have had a cocktail

My goodness Oklahoma gets in. Really? Maybe we had a shot after all, we played about as well the last half of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.